What's new

3D This 3-D forum seems to be dying... is this an indication that the format is dying also? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Fewer and fewer threads and posts are being added here, which seems to reflect the declining interest in the 3-D format. Disney having dropped its domestic 3-D video support certainly doesn't help. but the overall number of posts here has seriously declined. Are HTF members disengaging? I certainly don't wish to be a doomsday advocate, as I own over 100 3-D Blu-rays. Flicker Alley (by way of the wonderful Bob Furmanek) is trying to keep 3-D alive, but I'm not sure anyone else is...

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Rick,

I have approximately 100 3-D blu rays and enjoy the medium. I always support it when I can and hope that it continues. 4K has garnered a lot of attention as of late, but 3D still seems to have support at the cinema. I purchased the latest impending release from Flicker Alley and continue to purchase 3-D releases -- going to Amazon UK if needed (Frozen), but I will not purchase a region free player to do it. I am hopeful that eventually the releases will reach critical mass, compelling the studios and hardware manufacturers to continue supporting it. What is puzzling is that the 3D releases always seem to sell out whenever offered at Best Buy and Target on initial release. I think there are a lot of fans, but we need to keep reviews and fan enthusiasm going.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
So many 3D releases these days are conversions, which I don't care much for.

And the only American company that actually seems to make films that are 3D instead of 2.5D is Dreamworks. They only have one film coming out this year due to economic restructuring.

People love to complain about Disney, but they'd be better off supporting Dreamworks instead.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I check this forum almost every day, but I'm one of those people who doesn't usually post just for the sake of posting so if I don't have anything to say, I won't post! I've got at least 200 3D Blu-Rays right now, and still buying all the ones I can afford just to show my support! (Don't have Book of Life or the 2nd Hercules yet because the prices on those are still too high, but have 3D Rarities pre-ordered. Most recent purchases were Exodus Gods & Kings and Penguins of Madagascar.)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Exactly. When new quality 3D releases occur, there is plenty of activity here. There was nice response to Inferno, The Bubble, and Dragonfly Squadron. Kiss Me Kate's enthusiastic reception occurred mostly in the Blu-ray forum rather than on this page, but part of that was because it was bundled in some cases with those other new to Blu-ray releases (Calamity Jane, The Band Wagon).

When Bob's 3D Rarities comes out, you'll see traffic pick up here I'm almost certain.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
revgen said:
So many 3D releases these days are conversions, which I don't care much for.

Agreed, and even the genuine 3D stuff being released isn't particularly appealing.

I'm actually more interested in the old 50s 3D movies than the pap that's being released nowadays.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I usually don't post for the sake of posting either. I've had a 3D projector for about the last year and a quarter. When something comes out that looks like it would be good in 3D, I buy it. I have multiple systems but just the main system does 3D. I have some content I've been buying and will likely keep at least one system that does 3D. If a TV in another system needs replacing and something can do 3D, then it's something I might consider as well.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I want more 80s 3D. Just picked up Godard's Goodbye to Language but haven't watched it yet. Such is my report. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll make one comment...

3D projector
1.4 AVR
3D BD player

No glasses(never bought them) and actually have (at least) three 3D movies.

Watched them all in 2D.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
It's the 5th anniversary since the first title was released in the U.S. (Monsters Vs. Aliens March as part of a bundle). The signs are encouraging..a total of 8 out of 48 possible classic features will be out as of this year. BBC Video has just put out 3 titles. 3D Rarities was in the top 100 on Amazon's Blu-ray sales (which is great considering Flicker Alley had it on sale on its website). Kino will release The Mask and Gog and are committed to licensing more titles. At some point The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet, the Walk and Every Thing Will Be Fine should be out in U.S. theaters as well as eventually on video. Panamint and Twilight Time have promised to release more tiles.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I feel like I've been posting a little less overall, so that probably affects the number of 3D posts I make. The other thing is, I feel like I'm finally "caught up" on most of the available content on 3D Blu-ray. I got my 3D TV in 2012 and a 3D projector last year, and in that time, I've rented or bought what seems like most of the BD3D titles out there.

I think I also reached a point where 3D in and of itself isn't enough to get me interested in a movie that I'd otherwise have no interest in, at least as far as newer films go. I'm still curious about all of the 1950s and 1980s vintage titles and I'll blind buy them all in a heartbeat. But the new post-converted movies? I'm fans of all the Marvel movies so I'll pick those up, but to be honest about the content, it's not like the 3D in those titles is usually enough to sustain a conversation on their own.

The "Godzilla" remake and "Transformers 4" were kind of milestones for me in terms of behavior changing - I saw them in theaters in 3D and thought they were kinda "meh" as movies, they were fun to watch but I didn't walk out feeling any desire to watch them again. A couple years ago, I would have went and bought the Blu-ray discs anyhow just to have some extra 3D content. This time, I didn't.

I'm still totally down with blind buying vintage 3D titles, and picking up 3D discs for newer movies that I enjoyed. But I'm probably done with buying movies I didn't really like just because they're in 3D.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bob Cashill said:
I want more 80s 3D. Just picked up Godard's Goodbye to Language but haven't watched it yet. Such is my report. :)
I'd keep it that way if I were you. The scene with different shots for each eye made me think I was having a stroke.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
StephenDH said:
I'd keep it that way if I were you. The scene with different shots for each eye made me think I was having a stroke.
Good way to describe the feeling. Utterly perverse. But again, that's Godard, standing conventions, even 3D convention, on their head.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Speaking of Goodbye To Language, it's amusing to consider that Robot Monster (1953) plays a similar (though not absolutely identical) trick with retinal rivalry.

gazadams

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary adams
This is one reason i joined this forum . 3d does seem to be on the wane on blu ray as opposed to theatrical . I bought my player a year ago and was surprised to see a lot of films were released about 5 years ago . The conversion for Laurel & Hardy, direct to blu ray horrors , like Julia x, etc. So hope the new Avatar sequels will kick start it again ! Long live 3d !

gazadams

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary adams
Bob , i love all your work ! Some great stuff coming. Are you doing anything for The Mark of the wolfman ? I have all your releases and will support the format anyway i can .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks