What's new
World Wide Stereo

Which 5.1 system (1 Viewer)

BillyJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Billy
I have my computer 15m away from my projector and have a brilliant hdmi cable which can get all the way there but I need to get 5.1 audio from it and send that to an amp.

I was looking at the £150 1000W packages with bluray players and was wandering if these systems have an hdmi passthrough and can take the audio and ouput the video for the projector.

Any advice or suggestions would be aprpeciated! :D

I was looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HTB3510-Theatre-Speaker-Easylink-Black/dp/B00R844RSM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425816972&sr=1-3&keywords=home+cinema+speakers

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Sure, all receivers and HTIBs will process the audio send the video through the HDMI out port.

The issues for you will be getting the audio & video into the HTIB. That would be no problem with a receiver, but with HTIBs you have to be careful, as they often have limited inputs. The one you linked to has an optical and an HDMI input (according to the Amazon link, I didn't check the manufacturer's site to confirm). So if your computer has an HDMI output, you're all set. Or if you're only trying to get audio from the computer, and it has an optical output, you're fine.

If you want to get video from your computer and you don't have an HDMI on the computer, let us know what outputs the computer does have and we can go from there.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The true test is what audio can that HTiB take off the HDMI.

Only lpcm? Likely.

Meaning no bitstreaming.

Also, how big is this room?

That system will not play very loud. It is nowhere near 1000 watts. Try 50, at most.

BillyJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Billy
I looked on the manufacturers website and it only had HDMI out so im skeptical about it.

I also doubted the figure of 1kW.

Could you recommend a good HTIB under £200 which can take the HDMI in and send the video out to my HD projector?

Room size is approx. 14ft x 10ft with a tall ceiling

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
BillyJ said:
I looked on the manufacturers website and it only had HDMI out so im skeptical about it.

I also doubted the figure of 1kW.

Could you recommend a good HTIB under £200 which can take the HDMI in and send the video out to my HD projector?

Room size is approx. 14ft x 10ft with a tall ceiling
Onkyo HTS34/35/3600

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Better question...

Why spend so much on video...and so little on audio?

But yes you "can" split to each. Problem is, if there is signal delay, I doubt that HTiB has very much lip sync.

Doesn't your computer have (at least) a mini-Toslink?

Send it directly to both. At least that way if you have sync issues, your computer has adjustments.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
... but can the second HDMI connector on a projector be used as a pass through ...

I'm confused, what would you be passing it through to?

Regardless, you are just below the line for a decent HT. Pushing down to 200 puts you in low-end HTIB products, for just a little more you can get something with a real receiver that can be upgraded later if needed/desired. So I highly suggest you hold off and go up the line just a little. Something like this one would be a much better choice for 280: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-YHT-2910-Receiver-3D/dp/B00JRST052/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425839936&sr=8-3&keywords=home+theatre

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Al.Anderson said:

Regardless, you are just below the line for a decent HT. Pushing down to 200 puts you in low-end HTIB products, for just a little more you can get something with a real receiver that can be upgraded later if needed/desired. So I highly suggest you hold off and go up the line just a little. Something like this one would be a much better choice for 280: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-YHT-2910-Receiver-3D/dp/B00JRST052/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425839936&sr=8-3&keywords=home+theatre
He's trying to be ultra cheap.

I ignored the passthrough cause he's apparently buying exclusively by price.

Not features. If he'd looked at features he wouldn't be asking about impossible stuff to do.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Al.Anderson said:

He's trying to be ultra cheap.

I ignored the passthrough cause he's apparently buying exclusively by price.

Not features. If he'd looked at features he wouldn't be asking about impossible stuff to do.

BillyJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Billy
HTF Expert, thank you so much for your inspirational help and advice.

Screenwriter, I will seriously consider waiting and getting the Yamaha one you linked, if my budget were £300 would that still be the one you would go for?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
BillyJ said:
HTF Expert, thank you so much for your inspirational help and advice.

Screenwriter, I will seriously consider waiting and getting the Yamaha one you linked, if my budget were £300 would that still be the one you would go for?
The only thing £300 budget allows...is greater choices.

Onkyo 55/5600, higher up Yamaha...etc

There is no "best". There is what best fits your needs. Which this HTiB you originally proffered up....didn't.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
... if my budget were £300 would that still be the one you would go for?

Based on the selection at Amazon.uk, absolutely. It's a decent price and I happen to like Yamaha. If any of those Onkyos were available they would be contenders, but they seem to be harder to get over there than they used to be. And as you saw, Onkyo raised the price on their good entry level models on both sides of the Atlantic; I guess they didn't like being the go-to entry level manufacturer. But my last 6 receivers have been Onkyo and Yamaha (and one Marantz for seven), and I definitely like Yamahas best.

If you have a site that you would be purchasing from besides Amazon.uk, let us know; I'll give them a look.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Yamaha has a few more connections, plus ARC (I couldn't tell if the Pioneer has ARC). Neither are deal-breakers / big swingers, so it comes down to the speakers. If you could hear them both that would be ideal; if not it's a toss-up, so consider getting the one that is easier to return if you find you don't like the sound. But since the Yamaha is £40 cheaper, and we're already pushing you past your budget, I'd go that way.

BillyJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Billy
The Pioneer is £30 chepaer if I join the free vip membership thing, are the extra connections and ARC worth the £30?

I can probably go into a richer sounds store and listen to the Pioneer, how do tannoy and yamaha speakers compare?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
BillyJ said:
The Pioneer is £30 chepaer if I join the free vip membership thing, are the extra connections and ARC worth the £30?

I can probably go into a richer sounds store and listen to the Pioneer, how do tannoy and yamaha speakers compare?
They are both small inefficient satellites. Both are 8" subs, at best.

Go listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blogger1597
Recent bookmarks