What's new

Audio issue with Yamaha A-S301BL & Apple TV w/optical port (1 Viewer)

maugustine

Auditioning
Real Name
Mani
I recently purchased a Yamaha A-S301 2-channel amp mainly because I wanted the optical input it offers. I use the optical input to play my Apple TV through, mainly for AirPlay audio as well as streaming Netflix, etc.

The issue I'm seeing, is when I get home for the day, if I turn on the amp before I start the audio playing through the Apple TV I get no sound from the optical channel. I have to power down the amp and power it back on again before I'll hear any sound from the speakers.

If I instead turn on the Apple TV and then start playing the music it works fine. The RCA inputs don't exhibit this behavior, however.

Do you think this is an issue with the amp itself, or could it be the way the Apple TV sends the audio signal through the optical port?

Going through the warranty process is a little bit of a pain and I wanted to exhaust my options first, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep, standard issue in the digital age...

If the receiving end is ready before the sending end...

You often get nothing. (As in the receiving end needs something to sync to)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Go into the settings on the AppleTV and set it to never go to sleep. That should solve the problem, and the additional power consumption is miniscule. I have several AppleTVs and I have them all set this way for this exact reason, as well as others. I can't absolutely guarantee it will solve it, but it should and I don't have this problem with any of the systems I have them connected to. If it doesn't work, you're not out anything anyway.

BTW, I just looked at one ATV which hasn't played anything since yesterday. I know when it goes to sleep, the optical output turns off. I unplugged the optical cable to check, and it is active. When it shuts off is probably your problem. Theoretically, leaving it on could shorten the life of the AppleTV's optical output, but unless you plan to use it for more than 20 years, I wouldn't worry about it.

maugustine

Auditioning
Real Name
Mani
That's an interesting solution I hadn't thought of! Thanks for the tip John!

20 years, ha. I hope Apple comes out with a new one before that long. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks