What's new

3D Now That Disney Has Abanded U.S. 3-D Blu-rays, what about Pixar? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
RATATOUILLE is available in 3-d in the UK (region-free), but not in the U.S. I understand that the remaining three PIXAR titles (THE INCREDIBLES, A BUG'S LIFE and WALL-E are supposed to be converted to 3-D, but now that Disney has turned traitor and abandoned the format in the U.S., will these only be available overseas?

So sad.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dick said:
RATATOUILLE is available in 3-d in the UK (region-free), but not in the U.S. I understand that the remaining three PIXAR titles (THE INCREDIBLES, A BUG'S LIFE and WALL-E are supposed to be converted to 3-D, but now that Disney has turned traitor and abandoned the format in the U.S., will these only be available overseas?So sad.
I've been calling this for months. Even before Maleficent and Frozen.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Dick said:
RATATOUILLE is available in 3-d in the UK (region-free)...

So sad.
Are you certain about this? My understanding from online research is that this was the first of these 3D-only-in-the-UK titles from Disney/Pixar that is actually region-B LOCKED.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Marvel is allowed to do what they want, and seems to be sticking with 3D at the moment--Guardians, Thor 2 and Captain America 2 all continue to be coming out in 3D editions--but Pixar seems to be subjugate to Disney, so no Monsters University 3D.

It's the main Disney that hasn't put out one of their own 3D hard-disks since...no, really, HAVE we had anything since the Oz blowup? I'm asking.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Craig_Ehr said:
Are you certain about this? My understanding from online research is that this was the first of these 3D-only-in-the-UK titles from Disney/Pixar that is actually region-B LOCKED.
I've got it and it is indeed region-B locked.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ensign Eddie said:
I've got it and it is indeed region-B locked.
That sucks for people with only Region 1 3-D players. Disney just messed this up in every possible way for American and Canadian citizens, but that has become the norm for them.

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Ejanss said:
Marvel is allowed to do what they want, and seems to be sticking with 3D at the moment--Guardians, Thor 2 and Captain America 2 all continue to be coming out in 3D editions--but Pixar seems to be subjugate to Disney, so no Monsters University 3D.

It's the main Disney that hasn't put out one of their own 3D hard-disks since...no, really, HAVE we had anything since the Oz blowup? I'm asking.
Monsters University did have a 3D blu-ray release.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not sure if Pixar operates at arm's length like Marvel and Lucasfilm, since all its titles are released under the WDSHE label, while Marvel's are released under Marvel Studios' own label, and I suspect LFL will be the same. We'll have to wait and see. Count me as one who would love to see a 3D release of Big Hero 6 domestically, since it's probably WDAS' most immersive 3D release since Tangled.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Planes: Fire and Rescue is available from Mexico and Brazil (and India). But not in Europe like Maleficient and Frozen. Perhaps the 3D market for Disney titles is shrinking even more to just 3rd world countries. But at least it's available.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Does this mean that future Blu-ray 3D releases like Big Hero 6 may not even be available from England? And even if they are available there, they'll be encoded to make sure the Americans can't have it? This is frankly ridiculous. We're not talking about a movie that isn't licensed to be here, nor are we talking about a company's proprietary extras. These are movies that Disney is releasing in 3D in theaters in the US and could easily release on 3D Blu-ray.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Kevin EK said:
Does this mean that future Blu-ray 3D releases like Big Hero 6 may not even be available from England? And even if they are available there, they'll be encoded to make sure the Americans can't have it? This is frankly ridiculous.
That's exactly what it means. And you are right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks