What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Man of the West -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I've been a huge fan of Gary Cooper since I was a kid, and I always love to see another one of his films make it to Blu-ray.

Man of the West, a 1958 production in CinemaScope, directed by Anthony Mann and produced by the great Walter Mirisch, is another wonderful film in the Cooper canon.

The new Blu-ray, courtesy of MGM via Kino Lorber is generally pleasing, but not really representative of what the film could look like.

While imagery is decently resolved, there seems to be just a bit too much fade, or possibly a general lack of chroma.  This may be at least partially correctible on one's flat panel or in projection, but one shouldn't have to go there.

Is it good enough?  Absolutely.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Thanks for the review Robert. I have the German Koch Media BD (region B fixed) which I am assuming is the same source and transfer/encode as the Kino. It's good and better than serviceable, just as you say. I don't believe Frank Tarzi or anyone else at Kino is doing any additional mastering or grading on the masters once they get them and this Koch disc has been out for a while now.I agree one should never have to recalibrate setting on a high quality display for individual discs.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Yes it sounds like exactly the same transfer used in the German and Australian versions. I posted some screencaps from the Aussie version here. Overall I was quite pleased with it despite its drawbacks. Can't really blame Kino on this one.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Quite like this one (came across it when I was "auditioning" westerns for an assignment in a class I was teaching on 19th century American "Old West" history). Good to know it's available on Blu in a condition that, while certainly not ideal, remains a "pass" for Mr. Harris (as I've yet to be disappointed in the visual quality of anything Mr. Harris has approved, I have no qualms about getting this disc).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, this is a great western and one of my most anticipated releases from Kino. Unfortunately the place where I am buying my discs seems not to have acquired stock on this yet but I have it ordered and look forward to seeing it on blu-ray. Odd they don't have it yet as they have had all Kino titles on release day in the past but so much has come out recently that I have plenty to keep me busy until I can see it. Enjoyed reading Robert's comments on it as usual.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Looking at this and The Man from Laramie one has to wonder how this would have looked if it was a Sony property.
Oh well, it is unlikely that this title will be revisited anytime soon and until then I have the German Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have my Kino release, but haven't viewed it yet. Will try to do so this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks