What's new

Denon AVR-E300 Speakers (1 Viewer)

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Because I hate the massive way that a lot of DTS mixes are done, I'm looking to get a receiver with Audyssey Dynamic Volume. I'm thinking of the Denon AVR-E300. It says that it has Audyssey. Is this a good receiver ? If I got the reciever, what speakers should I get ? The Denon looks like the subwoofer out is an RCA type of connection. So, I guess I wouldn't be able to use the speakers that I already have, which are the plain speaker wire.

If the Denon isn't a good, reliable receiver, what is a good quality receiver that has Audyssey Dynamic Volume ? I'm looking for something around 4 or 5 hundred dollars. Not much more than that. Any ideas ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Speakers" don't connect to the subwoofer preout on any AVR. The subwoofer connects there, hence...why it says subwoofer.Every AVR made is a good one. What features, beyond ADV, do you need?

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I think you misunderstood me. I know that speakers don't connect to the Subwoofer connection. What features do I need ? The most important is the ability to individually adjust the volume of each speaker so I can get balanced sound. I hear slighty more out of my right ear than my left. Hence my present adjustments on my Onkyo R391 of +6 left, +0 right, +8 center, +4 left surround, and +2 (I think) right surround.

The second most important thing would be Audyssey Dynamic Volume. Like I said, I HATE the dynamic range of DTS tracks. I know that it should be the same as Dolby, both lossless, but it seems to me that when they're mixing for DTS, the dialogue is far too low most of the time. It's very rare that I've heard a DTS or DTS-HD Master Audio track that is properly mixed. At least to my ears. Recent adjustments that I've made to my system has helped....a tiny bit. But the voices are still WAY too low 99% of the time.

A receiver that would accept the speakers that I already have, and has Audyssey, would be ideal. My speaker connections are just wire ends that I press the little "switch" down and insert the wire into the hole. Maybe I should have said that my subwoofer isn't self powered...if that makes a difference. If a receiver I picked didn't have wire connections, but RCA connections, is there a way to convert the speakers I have ?

The Denon that I mentioned looks like it has wire connections for the speakers, but an RCA cable connection for the subwoofer.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I just have the speakers that came with the receiver. Do you mean what brand ? If so, they're Onkyo.

According to the manual, they're "110 watts minimum continuous power per channel"
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/491576/Onkyo-Ht-R391.html?page=65#manual

And according to the description on amazon...
"Power Output Front: 110W/Channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1%, 1 channel driven, FTC), Center: 110W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1%, 1 channel driven, FTC), Surround L/R: 110W/Channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1%, 1 channel driven, FTC).Power Requirements: AC 120 V, 60Hz."

Size-wize....
Front 01 x 200 x 114 mm, Center 240 x 102 x 121 mm ,Surround 101 x 200 x 114 mm and Subwoofer 295 x 345 x 368 mm

It all gets pretty technical to me. I think I've got it balanced pretty well. I'm just wanting a system that will let me do the same sort of DRC that you can do with Dolby tracks.

What will that amp do exactly ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think he has the Onkyo 3500(or 3400).Your main speakers will work with every AVR made.But...Better speakers would probably alleviate 90% of the problem.The rub is the passive sub. The only upgrade there is in building your own.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
This is all a long way off. I just want to get as much info as I can beforehand. Would something like this work for my subwoofer ?
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PCA1-30-Watt-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0012KZNP4/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410058987&sr=1-12&keywords=mono+amp

The manual for my system says....
"110 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 6 ohm loads, 1 channel driven at 1 khz with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 1%"

[*]Compatible with any audio/computer devices
[*]Power-on LED indicator
[*]110/220V voltage selector
[*]Use MP3 sources via a 3.5mm to RCA converter
[*]Four push-type speaker L/R terminals
[*]2X15W 10% RMS At 4-Ohm - Compatible With Any Audio/Computerize Devices
[*]Power On Led Indicator - (MP3) Via 3.5mm To RCA Converter.
[/list]
[*]Master Volume Control - 110/220 Voltage Selector
[*]RCA Cable L/R Input - Dimensions:5.61''(W) X 2.17''(H) X 4.21''(D)
[*]Four Push Type Speaker L/R Terminals
[/list]
Will this be powerful enough to run my subwoofer ?

Nevermind. The sub input on my receiver has push terminals and not RCA. Oh, well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is why I said "passive sub". And that you'd have to go to a car stereo shop and get one. Subwoofers don't care where they are.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
The Denon AVR-E300 that I have my eye on is 175 watts. The Klipsch HDT-600 Home Theater System speakers I'm looking at says the recommended amp power is up to 100 watts per channel. Would these speakers get wrecked by using them with this system ?

Another website said that the Denon is 75 watts per channel.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ignore watts.The only specs that matter...Ohm load(every receiver that has ever been made, and will ever be made, will handle 6ohm and higher)Efficiency Frequency response/accuracy

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Like I said, I'm looking at the Klipsch HDT-600 speakers for this receiver. What I would like to know is how to use the subwoofer. On the back of the sub in this package, there is a dial marked Level and a dial marked Lowpass. There is also a switch that says Auto (On or Off) and a switch that says Phase (0 or 180.) How would I set the subwoofer so that the receiver controlls the sub functions ? What do the switches and dials do exactly ? I want to be able to control the volume and crossover for the sub from the receiver, if at all possible.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll repeat, for the third time now.Your AVR has to have a PASSIVE SUBWOOFER.Period.(I'll repeat, preemptively...the fourth time)Your AVR must have (and there is no possible other scenario, ever at all, that will ever happen at any time in the future) a PPAASSSSIIVVEE SSUUBBWWOOOOFFEERR.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
To address the extremely rude comments....my AVR HAS a passive subwoofer. Now, onto things that make sense. The Klipsch HDT-600 speakers has an active subwoofer. The Denon AVR-E300 runs an active subwoofer....at least I assume it does. It has a Subwoofer Pre Out.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Spottedfeather said:
To address the extremely rude comments....my AVR HAS a passive subwoofer. Now, onto things that make sense. The Klipsch HDT-600 speakers has an active subwoofer. The Denon AVR-E300 runs an active subwoofer....at least I assume it does. It has a Subwoofer Pre Out.
I'm sorry you are being treated this way. You aren't the first.Simple answer. Your current system isn't very upgradeable, so you pretty much have to stay with what you have or upgrade everything. The Klipsch speaker system you mentioned and the Denon receiver are perfectly compatible with each other.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, you can get that Denon on closeout for $250, which is a great deal. Just don't pay $450.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
JohnRice said:
I'm sorry you are being treated this way. You aren't the first.Simple answer. Your current system isn't very upgradeable, so you pretty much have to stay with what you have or upgrade everything. The Klipsch speaker system you mentioned and the Denon receiver are perfectly compatible with each other.
Yeah. The system I have is only a couple of years old and it works fine. I just want a receiver that has Audyssey so, hopefully, I can flatten out (just a bit) DTS and DTS-HD MA tracks, as I don't like the dynamic range of DTS. No problem with Dolby, Dolby TrueHD, or Dolby Surround. They're just about perfect.

All in all, it would be about twice as much as the system I have now, but it would be worth it. I'm thinking that I can use my current speakers, which are 6 ohm on the Denon E300, correct ? If so, all I'd have to spring for would be a decent subwoofer. I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just something that will sound goo and last a while.

Any suggestions on a good powered subwoofer to go with the Denon ?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If $200 isn't too much, the BIC F-12 is great. For less than that, probably a Dayton, but I'd recommend going for the BIC.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was not being rude.You hopped back and forth...You wanted a powered subwoofer for your 3500. Not going to happen. Like I said, in every thread you've said the same thing in(going back a couple of months), speakers are 95% of the equation.I would upgrade your speakers first. Soldier on with the 3500 AVR/sub. Then if you want, upgrade AVR and sub at the same time.Buying the Denon and keeping your current 5.0 set is a sideways move. You don't like DRC in the DVD/BD player?What do you think Audyssey Dynamic Volume is, exactly?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A note to the OP, many powered subs, the BIC included, do also work with speaker level sub outputs, such as your current AVR has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks