Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SVS SB-2000 & PB-2000 Subwoofers Review

Hardware Hardware Review Subwoofer SVS

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,172 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted April 16 2014 - 02:51 PM

The new 2000 series of 12-inch subwoofers from SVS features their new Sledge STA-500D amplifier with DSP controls, boasting 500 watts of power and distortion-free performance.  The subwoofers come in a sealed (SB-2000) and ported (PB-2000) design. SVS sent samples of these new products for Home Theater Forum to evaluate, and our review is in.

SVS SB2000 & PB2000 Subwoofers Review

I’m often asked to assist a client in getting the most for his or her money when selecting gear for a new home theater, and regardless of budget, one thing I stress is to not skimp on speakers, especially when selecting a center channel and, more importantly, a subwoofer. The subwoofer can be one of the most important speaker components in your home theater, not only providing that room-shaking rumble during explosive action sequences, but complimenting and filling in the lower frequencies that your other speakers may be lacking. To be honest, I do not always follow my own advice. My home theater setup consists of the following:

• Samsung 60F7100 HDTV
  • Marantz SR5008 Receiver
  • Polk TSi100 Bookshelves (L+R)
  • Polk CS10 Center
  • OSD PS10 Subwoofer
  • Energy CB5 Bookshelves (Surrounds)
  • Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray
  • Sony PlayStation 3 120Gb Slim

Currently, what may be the weakest part of my home theater is my subwoofer, the OSD PS10 (which I reviewed in 2011). And that is my baseline when comparing the SB2000 and PB2000 subwoofers from SVS. For home theater use, the connections and settings for both the SB2000 and PB2000 are simple and identical. Simply connect one subwoofer cable from the LFE Pre-out on your receiver to the Right Channel input on the subwoofer (which is also marked as LFE). Set the volume to 50% (12:00), leave the phase at 0, and rotate the low pass filter to LFE. Plug in the power, flip the switch from Standby to ON, and run the receiver’s calibration program. My Marantz SR5008 receiver did have some difficulty detecting an acceptable level for both the SB-2000 and PB-2000, and per the recommendation of SVS tech support, they suggested running the calibration again, but setting the volume on the subwoofer to 1:00 or 2:00, then adjusting the volume back to my own personal preference. The Audyssey program on the Marantz suggested crossovers of 60Hz for the fronts and 40Hz for the Center and Surrounds. The detected settings were identical between the SB-2000 and PB-2000.

SB-2000Additional1ZOOM.jpg

Rear view of SB-2000

PB-2000Additional1Zoom.jpg

Rear view of PB-2000

SB-2000

SB-2000ZOOM.jpg

Front view of SB-2000 without grill

Specifications:

• New SVS 12” 2000-series driver
  • New Sledge STA-500D DSP amplifier, 500 watts RMS (1100 watts peak dynamic)
  • Premium black ash finish
  • Protective non-resonant steel mesh grille
  • Rigid and braced MDF cabinet
  • 19-220 Hz ±3 dB
  • FEA-optimized motor technology for low distortion.
  • Heavy-duty 2” voice coil for extreme power handling.
  • Upgraded Nomex spider for improved linearity and driver control at extreme drive levels.
  • 500 watts RMS continuous (1100 watts peak dynamic), Class D power with 'green' (<0.5 watts consumption) standby mode.
  • DSP control for accurate response and refined behavior under all operating conditions.
  • Stereo line-level RCA Input & 80Hz High Pass Filtered Output connections.
  • 3-12V trigger with 1/8” (3.5 mm) TRS mini-jack input.
  • Continuously variable low pass filter frequency with disable/LFE setting.
  • Continuously variable volume and phase controls.
  • Dims: 14.2" (H) x 14.2" (W) x 14.2"(D)
  • Weight: 35 pounds
  • MSRP: $699.99

SB-2000Additional2ZOOM.jpg

Front view of SB-2000 with grill

The SB-2000 is a nice, compact subwoofer, measuring 14.6” high, 14.2” wide, and 17.1” deep (when attaching the grill), around the same size as my OSD PS10. My first piece of demo material was the DTS DVD-Audio disc, Toy Matinee. The first thing I noticed was how much livelier the bass response was throughout the room, but never drawing attention to itself. Kevin Gilbert’s vocals and lead guitar, as well as Brian MacLeod’s percussion on the first track, Last Plane Out, had much stronger resonance, and this was originally a 44.1kHz recording. Next up was the SACD of Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds, and again, the bass was never boomy yet filled the room nicely. The same can be said of the two movies I selected on Blu-ray, Pacific Rim and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. The SB-2000 definitely improved the overall bass response for my system, but was never in your face, nor did it really rock the room, either. Still, it was a noticeable improvement over my baseline OSD PS10 sub.

PB-2000

PB-2000Additional3Zoom.jpg

Front view of PB-2000 without grill

Specifications:

• New SVS 12” 2000-series driver
  • New Sledge STA-500D DSP amplifier,
  • 500 watts RMS (1100 watts peak dynamic)
  • Premium black ash finish
  • Front-firing 4" high-flow port with large radius inner and outer flanges
  • Protective non-resonant steel mesh grille
  • Rigid and braced MDF cabinet
  • 17-270 Hz ± 3 dB
  • FEA-optimized motor technology for low distortion.
  • Heavy-duty 2” voice coil for extreme power handling.
  • Upgraded Nomex spider for improved linearity and driver control at extreme drive levels.
  • 500 watts RMS continuous (1100 watts peak dynamic), Class D power with 'green' (<0.5 watts consumption) standby mode.
  • DSP control for accurate response and refined behavior under all operating conditions.
  • Stereo line-level RCA Input & 80Hz High Pass Filtered Output connections.
  • 3-12V trigger with 1/8” (3.5 mm) TRS mini-jack input.
  • Continuously variable low pass filter frequency with disable/LFE setting.
  • Continuously variable volume and phase controls.
  • Dims: 20.5" (H) x 17.3" (W) x 22"(D)
  • Weight: 66 pounds
  • MSRP: $799.99

PB-2000Additional2Zoom.jpg

Front view of PB-2000 with grill

The PB-2000 is a monster compared to its sealed sibling, measuring a whopping 20.9” high, 17.3” wide, and 25.4” deep (with the attached grill). It also weighs over 65 pounds. When I played Last Plane Out from Toy Matinee and Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds, the differences were subtle but noticeable, with tighter bass, but still not drawing too much attention to itself. The major difference came, though, with both Pacific Rim and The Hobbit, providing subtle vibrations to the beams in my sofa, especially during the Hong Kong battle sequence in Pacific Rim and Smaug’s chase through the mountain in The Hobbit. Luckily, my condo is not only well insulated, sound wise, but I’m in an end unit and my living room (which doubles as my home theater room) has no shared walls or floors with my neighbors. Still, I make sure the volume on the PB-2000 is turned down during late-night viewing.

Domino_PB2000.jpg

Domino perched above PB-2000

Final Thoughts

For those looking for subtle but improved bass response for their smaller home theater, the SB-2000 is a good choice with its smaller footprint (about the same size as most 10” subwoofers). If you have a much larger room and want that room-shaking bass (without the booming distortion most attribute to subwoofers), then the PB-2000 is definitely worth taking a listen to. Both models outperform most subwoofers by more recognizable names at the same price point.

• Sam Posten and PaulDA like this

#2 of 8 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted June 27 2014 - 05:31 PM

Just ordered a PB-2000. Looking forward to reaching "the next level" (my current sub is decent enough, but it is 10 years old and doesn't play in the same league as the PB-2000).

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#3 of 8 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 27 2014 - 06:13 PM

Congrats, Paul.  I've had a PB-1000 for a couple of years now and have been loving it!

Mine was an upgrade from a Sony SA-WM40.  HUGE difference! 

Impressive amounts of bass (when called for), but absolutely no boominess. 

And my dogs love it, too!

gallery_286742_34_90610.jpg

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 8 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 06:44 PM

My current sub is a Boston Acoustics PV900. No slouch in its day (especially at the price I paid for it), it's been 10 years. Don't think I'm being too hasty with the upgrade. :lol: 

#5 of 8 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 27 2014 - 07:46 PM

It's important to pace ourselves...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 8 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,127 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 28 2014 - 02:14 AM

Just ordered a PB-2000. Looking forward to reaching "the next level" (my current sub is decent enough, but it is 10 years old and doesn't play in the same league as the PB-2000).

I am probably going to buy that same sub before the summer is out.  Keep us informed about your experiences with it.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 8 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:29 AM

Will do.

#8 of 8 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 12:01 PM

A revised graph (compared to those I posted in the other PB-2000 thread) showing the SVS alone without EQ, alone with EQ and combined with the PV900 with EQ. The scale of the graph is logarithmic, rather than linear, as, apparently, this makes for a better graph according to those who take of REW. So far, sounds great. Green trace was recorded with a lower volume setting, so the peak at 22 or so hz would be about 7dB higher than it is, just to give an idea of how effective the Anti-mode 8033C subwoofer EQ system is for taming big peaks.before%20and%20after%20eq%20with%20hts%20settings%20for%20graph.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users