Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A Quick Preview of Arch Oboler's "The Bubble" Coming in 2014

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 of 58 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 08:28 PM

I've gotten a few questions about multiple running times for THE BUBBLE listed in books and on-line. Supposedly, the film is either 112 or 94 minutes in length.

We have a 35mm print of the 1972 Sherpix re-issue and it is 91 minutes.

The 94 minute length (actually 93:29) is from the 1976 Monarch Releasing Corp. re-issue. They added a 2:29 montage after the end credits reprising the best off-screen effects.

Unfortunately, many people believe IMDB to be 100% accurate. I can tell you from my experience with the early aspect ratios that there is a LOT of wrong information on that site.

Sadly, the trims are long gone. We searched and can find no trace of them.

Bubble-art-small.gif

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#42 of 58 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted July 25 2014 - 07:27 AM

I've gotten a few questions about multiple running times for THE BUBBLE listed in books and on-line. Supposedly, the film is either 112 or 94 minutes in length.

Both are wrong.

Based on available evidence, it was most likely 102 minutes when presented in Chicago at the December 21, 1966 world premiere. Other early engagements include Detroit, Cleveland, New Orleans and Los Angeles.

Unfortunately, many people believe IMDB to be 100% accurate. I can tell you from my experience with the early aspect ratios that there is a LOT of wrong information on that site.

IMDb details are only as accurate as the sources who submit detail and specifications to them; and people make human mistakes.  Plenty of mistakes. It has been a while since I've contributed to the IMDb site, but when I see an error I have to follow specific guidelines so they can reasonably verify the change/correction.

Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#43 of 58 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 25 2014 - 11:29 AM

IMDb details are only as accurate as the sources who submit detail and specifications to them; and people make human mistakes.  Plenty of mistakes. It has been a while since I've contributed to the IMDb site, but when I see an error I have to follow specific guidelines so they can reasonably verify the change/correction.

Yes, for a while they had 3-panel Cinerama films with a 3.99:1 AR. I guess they thought each panel was 1.33. That since has been fixed.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#44 of 58 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted July 25 2014 - 11:51 AM

We tried to submit a listing for a lost 3-D short that I had discovered. I had the negatives and it had already been screened once publicly.

They replied that the information was not sufficient to warrant a listing on their site.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#45 of 58 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 07:29 PM

POPULAR

I'm pleased to share my new article, "Restoring a Landmark 3-D Motion Picture."

It covers the production history of Arch Oboler's THE BUBBLE plus the documented facts on the effort to develop a widescreen, single-strip 3-D system in 1953.

Colonel Robert V. Bernier -- a forgotten 3-D pioneer -- is finally given his proper place in the history of stereoscopic cinema.

I also discuss the deplorable state of the 35mm negative and what we have done to restore it in HD for release on 3-D Blu-ray.

The article contains all-new research utilizing never-before-seen studio documents and primary source materials. I'm happy to report that many long-standing 3-D myths are now disproven.

I hope that you enjoy it!

https://sites.google...home/The-Bubble

• Reed Grele, Douglas R, Brandon Conway and 3 others like this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#46 of 58 OFFLINE   Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 08:05 PM

Great article. I remember that THE STEWARDESSES, THE FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH, and DOMO ARIGATO all had runs at Seattle's Broadway Theater. I do think that DOMO ARIGATO played for at least a week, but that's a memory from a long time ago.

A friend of mine's parents actually went to THE STEWARDESSES while thinking that they were going to see AIRPORT! After the opening 3-D scene in the motel, they realized that they weren't going to be seeing Helen Hayes and Dean Martin, and got their money back.

I had no idea that THE FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH was actually THE BUBBLE! I don't think that THE BUBBLE ever played Seattle under that title.

If you thought that Rhino's DVD of THE BUBBLE was poor, I'd say that their VHS of DOMO ARIGATO was much worse. In fact, I think that Rhino only released DOMO on VHS. Rhino's VHS and laserdisc of THE MASK were fairly decent anaglyph, but they never released THE MASK on DVD.
  • Bob Furmanek likes this

#47 of 58 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 08:14 PM

That's a great story about the confusion with Airport!

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#48 of 58 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 20 2014 - 05:58 AM

Great article. I remember that THE STEWARDESSES, THE FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH, and DOMO ARIGATO all had runs at Seattle's Broadway Theater. I do think that DOMO ARIGATO played for at least a week, but that's a memory from a long time ago.

A friend of mine's parents actually went to THE STEWARDESSES while thinking that they were going to see AIRPORT! After the opening 3-D scene in the motel, they realized that they weren't going to be seeing Helen Hayes and Dean Martin, and got their money back.

I had no idea that THE FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH was actually THE BUBBLE! I don't think that THE BUBBLE ever played Seattle under that title.

If you thought that Rhino's DVD of THE BUBBLE was poor, I'd say that their VHS of DOMO ARIGATO was much worse. In fact, I think that Rhino only released DOMO on VHS. Rhino's VHS and laserdisc of THE MASK were fairly decent anaglyph, but they never released THE MASK on DVD.

The Stewardesses in available on DVD in anaglyph 3D. I wonder if a Blu-ray 3D version will ever be released.

• ahollis likes this

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#49 of 58 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,841 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 24 2014 - 05:46 PM

The Stewardesses in available on DVD in anaglyph 3D. I wonder if a Blu-ray 3D version will ever be released.

Yes. I saw THE STEWARDESS in 3D during it's original theatrical release as a horny college kid. I also was pleased to own the DVD when it was released about four years ago. I would love to own a Blu of this title.
  • Josh Steinberg likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#50 of 58 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,694 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 07:16 PM

I'd pick it up on Blu. I accidentally discovered it when I first started really getting into 3D around 2007 or 2008 and even though I didn't love it as a movie, I remember it being a fun experience.

#51 of 58 OFFLINE   Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 08:17 PM

I attended THE STEWARDESSES first-run at the Broadway Theater while I was a high school senior. I even wrote a review of it for my high school newspaper, comparing it to the then-popular LOVE STORY.

Many years later, I was so disappointed when I bought the "special edition" on home video. Much of the original film was missing, to make room for boring hardcore inserts featuring nobody from the original picture.

I think it was Shout Factory who released the later, excellent DVD, complete with the 3-D preview of THE MAZE. I'd upgrade to Blu-ray if THE STEWARDESSES were to be released.
  • Paul Hillenbrand and Josh Steinberg like this

#52 of 58 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 07:13 AM

Shout has the rights to release a 3-D Blu-ray of THE STEWARDESSES.

• revgen and phillyrobt like this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#53 of 58 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 23 2014 - 05:05 PM

Less than one month to Kino's 3-D blu-ray release of THE BUBBLE!

Here's a sample frame:

Bubble-web_edited-1_zpsc072a5e9.gif

• Brandon Conway and Josh Steinberg like this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#54 of 58 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,384 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 23 2014 - 05:20 PM

I look forward to watching "delirious" 3D. :)
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#55 of 58 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,694 posts

Posted October 23 2014 - 07:27 PM

This is going to be fun!

#56 of 58 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 24 2014 - 11:36 AM

Two weeks from today on November 7, our 3-D restoration of Arch Oboler's THE BUBBLE will have its world premiere at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. If you're in the area, don't miss this chance to see it on the big screen!

http://www.moma.org/...creenings/22249

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#57 of 58 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted October 29 2014 - 09:32 AM

POPULAR

Had the opportunity to watch the 3D Blu-ray of The Bubble.

My thanks to Bob Furmanek for making certain I had a copy.

A review is forthcoming.  Most likely by Sunday.

However, I wanted to say that I was extremely impressed by

this film on several levels...

Firstly, the story.  It's a pretty damn good story -- almost 

something straight out of The Twilight Zone.

Secondly, out of all the 3D golden age releases from all

the studios, The Bubble has the most amazing use of forward

projection.  There are gimmicks galore, and they do leap off

the screen (though not exactly float over one's head as advertised).

Thirdly, The film transfer looks pretty darn good -- especially when

comparing it to DragonFly Squadron.  Of course, that's not a swipe

at that film's transfer as there are always issues with original elements.

I can tell you already that The Bubble will be placed on a high spot

in my HTF Top 30 3D Titles list.  It's my favorite, thus far, of all the

golden age 3D releases.  

• Paul Hillenbrand, Bob Furmanek and Brandon Conway like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#58 of 58 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,649 posts

Posted October 29 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thank you, Ron. I've always felt THE BUBBLE was vastly under-rated.

The original reviews from the roadshow engagements in 1967/68 were generally very positive with comparisons made to The Twilight Zone and The Invaders.

It was the 1976 re-titling to FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH - and the deceptive ad campaign - that set the film up for a major fall. People were expecting something similar to STAR WARS and were obviously disappointed. That's when the film got bad reviews.

1976-one-sheet_zps0132f0be.gif

The terrible anaglyphic DVD from Rhino in the late 1990's did not help the films reputation.

I think it's a solid story with very good performances from the young leads.

I look forward to your review!

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users