Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Justified - Season 5 (FX)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,306 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 09 2014 - 05:23 AM

I know that I'm sometimes slow with more subtle stuff on shows, but I was in the shower tonight (that's my thinking-time) and realized that Boyd offered the funeral-home guy $300,000 that he didn't have right now, but could have "within the week." The exact amount that he must have just heard Dewey received in a court settlement.

My understanding is that it was the value of the last dope shipment from the Canadians.

#22 of 64 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted January 09 2014 - 05:48 AM

For some reason uverse recorded the first 17 minutes, and that was it. Hopefully I can find it online somewhere. Dont know how they screwed that up. 

Same thing happened to me.  Luckily it was followed by a reply of the whole show which I recorded.  Try to set your DVR to record first run and reruns -- any day, any time.  Hopefully there will be a replay sometime this week.  FX usually does that.

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#23 of 64 OFFLINE   Mark_B

Mark_B

Second Unit

• 286 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted January 10 2014 - 04:38 AM

Same thing happened to me.  Luckily it was followed by a reply of the whole show which I recorded.  Try to set your DVR to record first run and reruns -- any day, any time.  Hopefully there will be a replay sometime this week.  FX usually does that.

Thanks. I was able to see it streaming. Quality wasn't the same, but still got to see it. After the new episodes air multiple times the first nite, you usually don't get a rerun until after the next new one. In any case, I was able to see it. 

#24 of 64 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 08:01 AM

Yeah Great Premiere. TV.Com is reporting that next year will be the last for Justified, Love it when shows can go out on top ala Breaking Bad. I'm sure it will come back full circle and season 6 will be the Final Confrontation between Raylan and Boyd.

My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#25 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,306 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 14 2014 - 01:29 PM

Entertainment Weekly: FX confirms sixth season will be the last for 'Justified'

It's official. Showrunner Graham Yost and star/executive producer went to FX head John Landgraf and asked the network to stick with their long-held six year plan, and he "regretfully accepted their decision."

So the season after this one will be the end. Like Dave, I'm hoping season six gets back to Raylan versus Boyd, and I hope they're able to get Natalie Zea back for more than just a handful of appearances.

Edited by Adam Lenhardt, January 14 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#26 of 64 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,046 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted January 15 2014 - 03:00 PM

"Now, I'll kill four of you before you even clear your chambers, and you see this star? That's gonna make it legal. Now, do we have an understanding, here?"

This episode fucking flew. We got Avon with the comedy. We got Loretta back being all femme fatalette. We got Amy Smart sassing Raylan, and women sassing Raylan is one of my favorite things in the world. I wish this show was on every day forever.

While on the surface it seems abnormal to take a witness to meet the murderer, that sheriff clearly had a hard-on for Boyd, such that he didn't mind bending procedure a smidge to fuck with him.

Last night's episode just flowed like water from one scene to the next, with nary any filler at all, as far as I was concerned. Looks like there might be some blowback for Raylan over the tarmac-assault.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#27 of 64 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,046 posts

Posted January 15 2014 - 03:09 PM

Entertainment Weekly: FX confirms sixth season will be the last for 'Justified'

It's official. Showrunner Graham Yost and star/executive producer went to FX head John Landgraf and asked the network to stick with their long-held six year plan, and he "regretfully accepted their decision."

So the season after this one will be the end. Like Dave, I'm hoping season six gets back to Raylan versus Boyd, and I hope they're able to get Natalie Zea back for more than just a handful of appearances.

I'm torn on the "six seasons"-news. I love the show, and I think what makes it special is fairly sustainable (far moreso than previous FX dramas). But it continues to fire on all cylinders, and it'd be nice to see this show ride off into the sunset with all of the goodwill in the world. I'd miss it terribly.

The good news...if there remains two full (great) seasons of Justified left, we are only 67% of the way through. I can definitely live with that.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#28 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,306 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 15 2014 - 04:49 PM

This episode fucking flew.

As fun as it was in the premiere to see Raylan and Boyd in Elmore Leonard's two favorite literary playpens, there's just an added urgency and magic only seems to exist for the show in Harlan. Something felt a bit disconnected last week, but that absolutely wasn't the case this week.

We got Avon with the comedy.

Was that the first time real life brothers Steve Harris and Wood Harris acted opposite each other on screen?

We got Loretta back being all femme fatalette.

And there's a whole 'nother layer to the Raylan/Loretta dynamic now that Raylan has a daughter. I love it whenever Loretta pops up now, because so many of the things that Kaitlyn Dever brings to Loretta are things that Timothy Olyphant brings to Raylan. Both Raylan and Loretta fueled by rage, but keep a such a tight lid on their emotions that they appear to be cool cucumbers to a casual observer. Loretta had Mags's huge inheritance. If she'd kept her head down, she would have been set for a long time. So why get back into the drug game? Because she'll never get over what happened to her father, and that rage puts her on a self-destructive path. In some ways, she's like what Raylan could have been at her age if he'd been drawn toward Arlo's life of crime instead of toward law enforcement.

And even if it didn't really surprise me, the coldly calculating nature of her gambit with Hot Rod's organization still made me sad, because it showed how much life had hardened her. I hope this isn't Loretta's last appearance on the show. I'd like to think there's still hope for her.

We got Amy Smart sassing Raylan, and women sassing Raylan is one of my favorite things in the world.

She sort of reminded me a bit of Winona without all of the Winona baggage, in that she's someone who is outside law enforcement but very familiar with the cast of characters that embody law enforcement.

While on the surface it seems abnormal to take a witness to meet the murderer, that sheriff clearly had a hard-on for Boyd, such that he didn't mind bending procedure a smidge to fuck with him.

The scene where the sheriff pulls Lee Paxton's trophy wife over and physically intimidates and threatens her into cooperating was basically a bold marquee to the audience saying, "You're supposed to hate this sick, arrogant bastard." I look forward to Boyd systematically destroying him. 

Last night's episode just flowed like water from one scene to the next, with nary any filler at all, as far as I was concerned. Looks like there might be some blowback for Raylan over the tarmac-assault.

There were two things I really liked about that scene. The first is that Sammy Tonin's call to the Marshals office in the hours leading up to his death make it clear that he wasn't as stupid as he appeared in the premiere. The second is that Raylan's solution to the Nicky Augustine situation isn't as tidy as it had appeared. I always like it when actions have consequences.

#29 of 64 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,507 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 16 2014 - 09:47 AM

I hope Art has more to keep him busy this year other than checking on Raylan's connection to the Tonin/Augustine killing.  The show doesn't end until next year, so this line of investigation really can't go anywhere this year.

I'm really curious as to who is fucking with Boyd.  The show seems to be giving up the dickhead sheriff, but I don't know that he's smart enough to do this.  It's not the Crowes...they're just getting things going.  I don't think it's Hot Rod...he seems to be happy with his niche.  So, who is it?  Someone new?  Duffy plotting behind Boyd's back (nah...that seems out of character)?  The trophy wife from Europe?  What's her story anyhow?

#30 of 64 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,524 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 06:02 AM

The trophy wife was sent to the US because the drugs that were getting sent to Europe were not up to the purity level that they've come to expect.  Wait am I getting my drug dramas mixed up?  ;-)

"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#31 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,306 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 21 2014 - 08:47 PM

It was classic Elmore Leonard that way a couple of misunderstandings set the dominoes falling in tonight's episode.

I hope Wade makes it. There's something about his expression every time his life is threatened, like he's wondering why someone hasn't killed him already, that makes me root for him.

#32 of 64 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,046 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 05:02 AM

Never has a piece-moving episode been so magnificently entertaining.

Wynn's weapon of choice? Why, a pump-action BB gun, of course. I would LOVE for this to be a reoccurring gag henceforth.

Boyd's speech to Dewey almost felt genuine, until you find out later Boyd was the one fucking him over. Whoever said that Boyd is a preacher was dead-on -- he almost made me believe he cared about Dewey for a second, but he was just hiding his own schemes.

He's such a likable character, yet I love how the show is starting to poke holes in that likability. Boyd would have absolutely fucking killed it on the phones at Stratton Oakmont.

#33 of 64 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,046 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 05:05 AM

Also, I don't know why exactly, but every time Walton Goggins utters Cousin Johnny, I get so damn happy. It's the little things in life, I suppose.

#34 of 64 OFFLINE   CJProfit

CJProfit

Auditioning

• 6 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted January 24 2014 - 06:39 PM

Goggin's stole this episode like he has done multiple times. Every time he is on screen I am just drawn to him. His speech to Dewey was great. He ingeniously built Dewey up to think he could actually do something about his cousin. 

This season is going to be great. They are doing an excellent job of building towards Boyd's eventual downfall. I have the bad feeling he isn't going to make it to the last season.

#35 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,306 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 28 2014 - 08:33 PM

Just a great hour of television tonight. The cold open with Dewey and Wade really set the tone for the whole episode. I went into that scene thinking I understood both characters very well. I left that scene realizing that I didn't know either character at all. The show has had such fun with Dewey Crowe as comedic relief over the years that it became very easy to forget that he is, at the end of the day, a criminal. He might not have liked killing Wade, he might not have wanted to kill Wade, the idea probably wouldn't have even entered into his head if his cousin hadn't put it there. But when push came to shove, he still pulled the trigger. And in the aftermath, he didn't try to make it right, he tried to cover his tracks. He's a murderer now, one of the genuine bad guys. And that means that, sooner or later, Raylan will be coming for him. And their confrontation won't be funny when he does.

We got to know Wade Messer as an addict in the throes of addiction, and it was easy to assume that that's who the guy was. In this episode, we got to know him as a self-aware person who was only too aware that he was sitting at the card table with a shitty hand. He played the moves he could, but at the end of the day they weren't enough. Often that's what happens when you have a shitty hand to work with.

The setup with the social worker describing the fracture points of family post-coitus and the pay off with Raylan firing a shot across Daryl Crowe Jr.'s bow was very well executed. I especially liked the youngest brother taking in the scene, weighing the possible outcomes, and deciding to forfeit himself so that everybody walked out of that room alive. We've had smart villains and we've had crazy villains. Daryl Crowe Jr. is a volatile combination of the two. He can plot the chess moves out to their inevitable conclusions, but sometimes he just doesn't care.

I can't wait to see what Boyd does with all of those bodies.

#36 of 64 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,507 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 05 2014 - 09:22 AM

WTH?!  I'm torn on this episode...

We get Boyd going Corleone all over his enemies in a grand and terrible fashion.  His speech to Paxton was epic.  Any Crowe is foolish to mess with the dude.  Yeah, Johnny seems to have escaped, but Boyd will own that situation in no time. 

Then, his grand plans get overturned by a bitter midget?  What is up with that?  Really?  That little guard has enough pull to get past Boyd's protection, buy off a prisoner and some other guards and the cajones to plant a weapon and wound himself?  It was almost surreal.  I'm still wondering how it happened.  And, even moreso...why?  How does it help to advance the story?  I'm tired of Ava in prison. 

Then, we also have Alan Tudyk - a personal favorite - showing up speaking Greek in a most threatening way and looking completely fucking badass.  But, when Raylan and Art come knocking he tries beating them in a game of peek-a-boo?  Not only that, but he never checks his back AND manages to shoot his boss.  Did they replace Greek consiglieri badass with a Crowe?  WTF happened there?  If you have a big fucking battle rifle and the marshall comes knocking, you sit up high and pick him off.  Just...weird.

And, I'm still dumbfounded how Danny Crowe is still alive in a family where the leader brother will kill you for being stupid (as he did to their brother in Eps 1).  This guy is a serious asshole AND a numbnuts.  So, how has he lived this long?  And if Daryl buys ANY story about how his Cajun ended up dead that doesn't involve Danny blowing him away...color me suspcious.  Maybe Dewey IS the smartest.

I dunno...lots of really cool, badass moments - like Art facing down Tudyk or even Raylan coming clean with Art, and especially Boyd killing Paxton and turning on Mara in a deliciously evil way.  But, so much idiocy too.  Great episode or flawed?

#37 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,306 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 05 2014 - 07:24 PM

Three just absolutely terrific scenes in last night's episode: the cold open with Boyd bringing about the downfall of Lee Paxton, the diner scene that was a thing of absolute beauty, and then the final beat.

Raylan was in the clear. Picker gave him a cover. But at the end of the day, that's just not who Raylan is. He tells the truth as he sees it. And I can't wait to see the fallout.

Then, his grand plans get overturned by a bitter midget?  What is up with that?  Really?  That little guard has enough pull to get past Boyd's protection, buy off a prisoner and some other guards and the cajones to plant a weapon and wound himself?  It was almost surreal.  I'm still wondering how it happened.  And, even moreso...why?  How does it help to advance the story?  I'm tired of Ava in prison.

I thought the implication was that an interested third-party bought off both Ava's cellmate and the prison guard. I don't think the show's just beginning to pull at that plot thread.

Then, we also have Alan Tudyk - a personal favorite - showing up speaking Greek in a most threatening way and looking completely fucking badass.  But, when Raylan and Art come knocking he tries beating them in a game of peek-a-boo?  Not only that, but he never checks his back AND manages to shoot his boss.  Did they replace Greek consiglieri badass with a Crowe?  WTF happened there?  If you have a big fucking battle rifle and the marshall comes knocking, you sit up high and pick him off.  Just...weird.

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth."

Tudyk's character was a badass, but he wasn't a creature of subtlety. He was the guy Theo had when he wanted to rain hell down upon someone. Sometimes the guy wielding the broadsword gets killed by the guy with the scalpel.
  • Quentin likes this

#38 of 64 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,507 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 06 2014 - 09:31 AM

I thought the implication was that an interested third-party bought off both Ava's cellmate and the prison guard. I don't think the show's just beginning to pull at that plot thread.

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth."

Tudyk's character was a badass, but he wasn't a creature of subtlety. He was the guy Theo had when he wanted to rain hell down upon someone. Sometimes the guy wielding the broadsword gets killed by the guy with the scalpel.

I hope you're right about another party being involved with the Ava story...I just don't know who it could be?  And, that would not be good writing at this point...

That is what Tudyk said?  Complete badass!!

I agree that the guy with the broadsword can get killed by the guy with the scalpel.  I mean...we all knew Raylan would take him down.  But, I thought it was sloppily handled. 

#39 of 64 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,524 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 09:58 AM

Another excellent episode.

"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#40 of 64 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,892 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 06:32 AM

Yes, another good one.  The one thing that has bothered me these last two episodes though is why was Art so gung-ho in implicating Raylan in the Nicky Augustine murder?  Why did he even care?  Seemed out of character for him, particularly what, 6 months from retirement?  And what was the deal with that opening scene?  "Yeah, Raylan, I was wondering if you could just come meet me out at this dive bar in the middle of nowhere just so I can punch you in the eye.  Okay, see ya soon."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users