What's new

Need Your Advice - New Home: Work With JVC RX 5000V or Sony DAV HDX 589W? (1 Viewer)

Statesboro.Blues

Auditioning
Real Name
Florian
Dear Home Theater Afficionados,

we just moved into a new home and the previous owner left me the JVC RX 5000V Receiver, wiring for front speakers in the entertainment console, and two ceiling-installed speakers behind the seating area (i.e. rear speakers, not sure what kind). I also have the out of the box Sony DAV HDX 589W with a center and two front speakers, a passive subwoofer, and a wireless set of rear speakers from our previous place.

Option A
Use the JVC receiver, buy a powered subwoofer, use the Sony front speakers, and connect to the ceiling speakers.

Option B
Use the Sony system and connect to the ceiling speakers (since all the speakers have plugs, I would have to make the wiring fit).

Which has more upside given the equipment that I have? Do you have some (lower-cost) ideas to effectively upgrade this with what I have?

Thanks for your advice and ideas.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Option C(cause A is a dinosaur and B will destroy the in-ceiling speakers)

Buy a newer AVR. Doesn't have to be "brand spanking new"...but at least have Dolby Digital...and preferable DTS as well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, what sources will you be using? Newer AVR can be had for under $150...if they have enough features...for your needs.

Statesboro.Blues

Auditioning
Real Name
Florian
So this will be for TV, CD-DVD-BluRay, possibly some gaming (Playstation), and music through iPad.

I assume I need a new pair of front speakers and a subwoofer as well then?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes...but new stuff can be had for not much money. If you could find out what the in-ceilings are, great...if not it can be worked around(their grills should come off pretty easily).

Sony has the SS line of speakers(about the lowest price out there that is actually good). Issue there, Sony no longer produces the center. You would have to find a used one. Pretty much "any"* Sony center works and there were quite a few on Ebay that were under $60 including the shipping.

Depends if you want networking in an AVR(which could include Airplay and/or Ipad control) or if you would be happy with a front USB or an analog input. Your choice in the matter. Obviously networking Ipad control costs a bit more than a front analog input...

A subwoofer to start with would be either the Dayton Sub1000 or Sub1200(both are under $100).

Example of an AVR with Airplay and Ipad control...
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-E300-Channel-Networking-Receiver/dp/B00B7X2OV2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387211077&sr=1-1&keywords=denon+e300

Example of one where the Ipad would use the USB
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html

*By "any", I mean one not from an HTiB that has a proprietary plug.

Statesboro.Blues

Auditioning
Real Name
Florian
Thank you, this is great information! I live in Atlanta so I assume there may be some used options available.

So you outlined some options for AV Receiver and subwoofer. I will check on the rear speakers tonight and see if I can figure out what kind they are. How about front speakers that would match the overall quality? Any suggestions there?

Thanks again, this is good stuff.

Statesboro.Blues

Auditioning
Real Name
Florian
Sorry, I may have misspoken. The two front speakers (or three if I should have a center one as well as you suggested), can / should be "regular" ones since I don't want to put those in the ceiling. They will be on either side of the TV on a shelf. I just want to use what's already there (the rear speakers) but I don't want to install more in the ceiling.

Statesboro.Blues

Auditioning
Real Name
Florian
Unfortunately, I was not able to remove the covers of the ceiling speakers, as they are painted over in parts. I snapped some pics but they are probably not really telling. I know that the home was built around 10 years ago and that the speakers probably went in right away. They are both 8 or 9 inches in diameter. Any "safe bets" on this?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Statesboro.Blues

Auditioning
Real Name
Florian
So to recap, I would like to go with:

AV Receiver
Onkyo HT-RC330 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver

Subwooofer
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12-Inch 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Sounds reasonable and prudent from a budget perspective but please let me know your thoughts.

Regarding front speakers, schan1269 suggested the SS line from Sony. Would the following work with the equipment listed above?

Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speakers

I prefer bookshelf because my 16-month old son would have a field day with larger floor standing speakers.

Thanks for your continued input and help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nothing wrong with that setup. As long as you don't mind an Ebay find center speaker...

Matter of fact, here you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-SS-CN101-Center-Channel-Home-Theater-Surround-Sound-Speaker-/111239331661?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item19e6617f4d

There is another for $24, including shipping...but it has nothing on the back for reference. The one I linked says 8ohms. The other one could be an HTiB center if you want to check on it(if it is, you might as well use one of the ones you got...which, I wouldn't do)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-SS-CNP75-Home-Theater-Center-Channel-Satellite-Speaker-/261354736965?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3cd9f4cd45

You can at least take the speakers off so you can see the whole thing, and from there you can start with what you want to do with your set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks