• 236 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted December 18 2013 - 01:54 PM

Leave It to Beaver ,

Sea Hunt ,

Have Gun Will Travel,

Dobie Gillis ,

Abbott and Costello Show ,

and many others in "runners up " status!

#23 of 33 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 01:47 PM

Nice Topic!

Here are some of my favorite TV series on DVD/Blu-ray:

1. Star Trek:TOS (Blu-ray)  --- This is now the only, real, way to view the classic series!

2. Star Trek:DS9 (DVD)  --- The presentations are little "hit or miss", but the writing is so good I really don't care.  The last four seasons were arguably the best, consistent, episodic Trek ever produced.

3. Babylon 5 (DVD)  --- Again, the presentations are extremely hit or miss (especially the first two seasons) but viewing the first four seasons is almost as good as reading a sprawling Asimov SCI-FI Trilogy.   The Fifth Season is not as strong, but the last episode (filmed at the end of the fourth season) is almost worth the price of the entire set.

4. Stargate SG-1 (DVD) --- The presentations are very nice from the fourth season on.  It's sort of a guilty pleasure, but I actually really enjoy all 10 seasons.

5. Star Trek:TNG (DVD/Blu-ray)  --- I purchased the original DVDs (presentations were all "soft" until the 7th season) long ago and have been gradually replacing them with the new Blus.  

6. Star Trek: Voyager (DVD) -- Not my favorite Trek series, but still engaging for the most part.  The good thing about owning the DVD sets is that it makes it easy to skip over all the *blah* eps!

7. Columbo --  *Love* all of the "classic" Columbo eps.

8. M*A*S*H -- Probably the best "Dramedy" series *ever*.

9. Stargate: Atlantis -- This series was *spectacular* in its first two seasons.   The last three were (mostly) mediocre; although even in its worse season it would still manage about four really good eps.

10. Magnum, P.I.  -- As far as I'm concerned, this series pretty much "closed the book" on episodic TV PI shows.

Honorable Mentions:  Rockford Files; Maverick (still waiting on the last two seasons); Firefly (only due to the brevity of the series); All in the Family.

Joseph
---------------

#24 of 33 Radioman970

Radioman970

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted December 23 2013 - 04:15 AM

I wouldn't include MASH box set.  I had to return the first one because it was destoryed.  The replacement amazon sent was slightly less damaged. :(  Still, haven't had a problem up to somewhere in season 3.  And even though I'm currently watching the shows with the laugh track, the choice to watch without is there.  I find laugh tracks nostalgic, and the cheesier the better. But I think MASH is a show that doesn't need the canned laughs.  I think it's better without.  And I think the scenes in the OR never had laugh tracks, if I'm right about that.

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#25 of 33 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted December 23 2013 - 10:27 AM

I wouldn't include MASH box set. I had to return the first one because it was destoryed. The replacement amazon sent was slightly less damaged. :( Still, haven't had a problem up to somewhere in season 3. And even though I'm currently watching the shows with the laugh track, the choice to watch without is there. I find laugh tracks nostalgic, and the cheesier the better. But I think MASH is a show that doesn't need the canned laughs. I think it's better without. And I think the scenes in the OR never had laugh tracks, if I'm right about that.

PLEASE NOTE: All the M*A*S*H sets include an option to totally turn off the laugh tracks. (Check in the "Language" Options). And I agree that It's the only way to view the series ... IMO, the presentation is at least 50% better w/o the laugh tracks!!
  • Bryan^H likes this
Joseph
---------------

#26 of 33 maskedmala

maskedmala

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted December 23 2013 - 10:47 AM

Well, it's hard to select few titles since, for me at least, there's more than fifty titles that comes to mind. What I can say is SGT BILKO (aka The Phil Silvers Show) is The Best "Not on DVD" (at least complete).
  • Everett Stallings likes this

#27 of 33 LouA

LouA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted December 23 2013 - 12:46 PM

Well, it's hard to select few titles since, for me at least, there's more than fifty titles that comes to mind. What I can say is SGT BILKO (aka The Phil Silvers Show) is The Best "Not on DVD" (at least complete).

Lots of comments on various threads on this site about this show. I wish CBS would release a complete box set of the series . It's a classic and deserves to be released .

• Everett Stallings likes this

#28 of 33 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Advanced Member

• 2,916 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 04 2014 - 03:22 PM

So many shows, but here are some of my favorites:

Perry Mason

Highway Patrol

Sea Hunt

The Phil Silvers Show (Sergeant Bilko)

Have Gun Will Travel

Maverick

Rawhide

The Untouchables

The Twilight Zone

The Outer Limits

Combat

Route 66

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Get Smart

Mission Impossible

Star Trek

The Rockford Files

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The Bob Newhart Show

Mary Hartman Mary Hartman

The Prisoner

It's Garry Shandling's Show

The Larry Sanders Show

The Sopranos

Deadwood

Big Love

Breaking Bad

Boardwalk Empire

Justified

Homeland (the first two seasons, at least)

And let's not forget Rocky & Bullwinkle!

Rich Gallagher

#29 of 33 LouA

LouA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted January 05 2014 - 05:15 PM

Perry Mason

Highway Patrol

Sea Hunt

The Phil Silvers Show (Sergeant Bilko)

Have Gun Will Travel

Maverick

Rawhide

The Untouchables

The Twilight Zone

The Outer Limits

Combat

Route 66

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Get Smart

Mission Impossible

Star Trek

The Rockford Files

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The Bob Newhart Show

Mary Hartman Mary Hartman

The Prisoner

It's Garry Shandling's Show

The Larry Sanders Show

The Sopranos

Deadwood

Big Love

Breaking Bad

Boardwalk Empire

Justified

Homeland (the first two seasons, at least)

Lot of shows on your list that I own. I didn't put Sgt Bilko on my list because only one season is out so far. Lets hope for a complete release of that show.

#30 of 33 Radioman970

Radioman970

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 03:49 AM

The Office UK 10th Anniversary almost gets a honor on this thread.  Just finished it up...  Interview clips interfering with Season/Series 1 episodes...  no no no nooooo...  limited commentary from the stars/creators on part 2 of Christmas episode only...  no no noooo nope!  Otherwise, a first class release. 

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#31 of 33 Radioman970

Radioman970

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 10:27 AM

I watched a Fraggle Rock episode a short time ago and felt that belonged on the list.  The episodes all look probably as good as they ever looked.  Nice and colorful.  There are some wonderful extras worth watching, including interview material with the late Jerry Nelson.  And as if that weren't enough, many of the sets have a physical reproduction of something, like Henson's sketchbook where he drew and made notes about the show before it was actually produced.  All excellent stuff. 

#32 of 33 davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted January 25 2014 - 02:04 PM

Miami Vice and Crime Story.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#33 of 33 Marsh

Marsh

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 01:10 PM

A little Off Topic,but if you're a fan of Rocky and Bullwinkle, I just reviewed an excellent book titled The Art of Jay Ward Productions by Darrell Van Citters. It's 300+ pages, with very rare R& B, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, George of the Jungle etc. cels,  drawings, storyboards, promo items, and more. 

Here's the link to my review:

http://hubpages.com/...ard-Productions

Marshall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users