What's new

Center channel speaker recommendation (1 Viewer)

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Could someone please give me a recommendation on a center channel purchase for a
theater room?

The room is 25 by 12 feet with 8' ceilings. Currently have 7.1 surround using pinnacle
BD650 series II bookshelf speakers for front channel and BD300 for center. In wall speakers
for the 2 side and 2 rear. 3 SVS 12" subs. Denon 3313CI is the power source. I have
been waiting months for the pinnacle BD600 center channel which I am now told is likely
not ever coming and there are issues w/ pinnacle possibly getting bought out or something
to that effect. Anyway, I would like to add a different center channel and wanted to get
some of your expert opinions on what the best options might be to replace the bd300 series II to
match well w/ the setup. If money is no issue for this one speaker purchase, could someone give
me your top 2-3 choices for the center upgrade?

thanks a lot!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not buy another 650?There are some on fleabay. If Pinnacle is being bought, would like to know what happened. They were one of the healthy ones 5 year's ago.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Hmmm excellent bookshelf speakers with better performance than most towers. I see no issue using a bd650 as a center speaker as long as you can install it vertically-oriented like your mains. Matter of fact its preferred as a center speaker design is always a compromise. Hopefully you can buy them in singles. Not sure what magic Sam used but there are no bd650 speakers on ebay.

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Wow. Didn't realize another bd650 would actually be preferred. So overall, with all the center options for the setup, you guys this
another 650 would be most optimal? It is a large speaker, but could be recessed back into the wall I guess. I was told by pinnacle
the sound parameters recessed back into wall would not really change the performance but I am not fully confident of that statement.

Any other thoughts out there? I have always noticed that Ive had to manually crank up the power to the center channel or else I often
have trouble getting enough of the center sounds especially on blue rays that are more dialogue. I don't think this is right, but ive tried
everything I can think of and I have to pull in extra output for center or else it doesn't sound good. This is despite having proper cross overs, etc.
This is why i was hoping to get a better center since I was hoping it would fill up the room better w/ less power so i can get more out of the
front channels then. I have always wondered if the Denon 3313ci was the best option for this room.

thanks again

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
nystad said:
Could someone please give me a recommendation on a center channel purchase for a
theater room?

The room is 25 by 12 feet with 8' ceilings. Currently have 7.1 surround using pinnacle
BD650 series II bookshelf speakers for front channel and BD300 for center. In wall speakers
for the 2 side and 2 rear. 3 SVS 12" subs. Denon 3313CI is the power source. I have
been waiting months for the pinnacle BD600 center channel which I am now told is likely
not ever coming and there are issues w/ pinnacle possibly getting bought out or something
to that effect. Anyway, I would like to add a different center channel and wanted to get
some of your expert opinions on what the best options might be to replace the bd300 series II to
match well w/ the setup. If money is no issue for this one speaker purchase, could someone give
me your top 2-3 choices for the center upgrade?

thanks a lot!
I just Googled it, there is a BD600 speaker out, do you mean BD600 Series II center speaker. ?

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Ya. The bd600 series II. For the past year almost, pinnacle had been telling my audio installer it was coming soon...first lat Feb...then spring...then fall... now likley never will be available. Not sure what the heck is going on w/ Pinnacle. Surely some of the installers who view this website have also heard some of this. Makes me hesitant to invest in another pinnacle product.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
A good speaker is a good speaker. Even if Pinnacle was to completely go under, and I have no idea their situation Im just sayin, I certainly wouldnt let that stop me from buying their gear. Good speakers, if treated properly, can be considered a long-term investment and will last a very long time. Matter of fact, you will likely get the upgrade bug before you have any problems that would require some kind of factory servicing (if that ever happens).

As for your issues with dialog, Im not sure a better center speaker (even if its the preferred speaker) will help. Normally problems with dialog is an indicator of other issues; poor placement, lack of acoustic treatments, improper calibration, using the wrong DSP, ect...

In case you missed it, Ive posted these sources before, here is some very good reading on the benefits of going with an identical speaker for your LCR channels:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
So I'm guessing that assuming I get my system calibrated, tweaked, etc. optimally, the best option for this room
might be to add a vertical positioned pinnacle BD650 as a center replacement vs. any other option out there?
Would require some wall cutting in order to recess a bit, but I guess surely doable.

Anyone else w/ an opinion b/f I quit.

thanks a lot

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Thought I would post an update (anecdotal and from a non-audio expert type) after going with the recommendation of a third BD650 pinnacle for the center channel replacing the BD300.
Overall drastic improvement. Fills the room so much better, crisper response with much clearer dialogue. Overall, I am very happy with the
change. Maybe the concept of horizontally placed "center channel" speakers is bogus.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Congrats and Im glad it worked out for you :D

Its not so much that its "bogus" but rather that a horizontal design will always be a compromise for vertical-oriented mains. However some folks simply have no choice in the matter and must use a horizontal design.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is why I made my thread on thanksgiving about..."Does it count as MTM if one is a PR".Nobody responded...as I guess we were all stuffing our faces.I have 4 theatres. All three centers are different...BIC DV62clrs. The one I have has a passive radiator on the left. Mine is an early one. When BIC stopped using real wood veneer is when they went dual woofer.DCM SurroundScape. That one is coaxial(meaning the tweeter is arranged like a typical car speaker). Why aren't more like this?Polk "something"(tag fell off). Single woofer off to the side, port hole on the other side. Tweeter aligned half way above the top line of the woofer.Last is a self built from the drivers/crossover of an Infinity Crescendo 3006. Built it into a TV stand.MTM is the scourge of theatre. But an almost necessary one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks