Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tivo Roamio: The Best DVR You Should Own (Review)

Hardware

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 of 56 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,624 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 08:53 PM

Have to say, I love the fact that I can take my iPad out on the

back deck and stream content from my Roamio.

This is the best Tivo to date!

• DaveF likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#42 of 56 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 25 2014 - 08:18 PM

The Tivo Roamio OTA may get me on board.

http://www.cnet.com/...ivo-roamio-ota/

But it also seems set up for failure given the monthly price and the likelihood that this will go gangbusters. I think most TV watchers still see using an antenna as kind of regressive.

As usual, it pays to get the lifetime subscription if you plan to keep a device for more than a couple of years. Factoring in subscription fees and accessories (like antennas and the external hard drives required for some devices), the Roamio OTA is the second-most-expensive cable-free DVR on the market after three years.

And if you keep it for three years and six months or longer, it actually becomes the most expensive, passing the standard cable-compatible TiVo Roamio. Suddenly, that $50 upfront price doesn't seem like such a hot deal.

TiVo is calling this product a "limited edition" at this point, and it sounds like the company is testing the waters for its popularity. The Roamio OTA will be available at "select Best Buy stores in select markets from mid-September," and the company says it anticipates selling the product via BestBuy.com in October.

As with the standard Roamio, the Roamio OTA should offer the best over-the-air DVR experience for cable cutters, but the relatively high monthly charge and the lack of a lifetime option are big disincentives. If you're looking to save money in the long run, the fee-free Channel Master DVR+ is probably your best option.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#43 of 56 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 25 2014 - 08:25 PM

I kind of forgot about the Channel Master DVR+. Looks like it's on Amazon now, too.

http://www.amazon.co...nel master dvr+

#44 of 56 OFFLINE   Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,275 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 03:47 AM

I kind of forgot about the Channel Master DVR+. Looks like it's on Amazon now, too.

http://www.amazon.co...nel master dvr+

This is a rudimentary DVR, nothing like TiVo.  I would pay a small premium and purchase a new TiVo with lifetime or buy a used TiVo Premiere with lifetime which can be purchased for less money than this DVR, either way you have a reliable, polished DVR.  I would continue to forget about Channel Master if I wanted an OTA DVR since there are better options.  I have been using TiVo since 2000 and TiVo for OTA exclusively since 2009.

As far as Netflix not being of high quality according to other posts here, last fall Netflix SuperHD became available in Little Rock using Comcast Xfinity and the quality has been excellent ever since, bitrate 5800Kbps and 1080p often with DD+ 5.1.  I wasn't a big fan prior to that but have subscribed ever since.  An inexpensive streaming box adds a lot that TiVo won't do, I don't use TiVo for Netflix or other streaming services as a result but that is a different discussion.

#45 of 56 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 26 2014 - 06:17 AM

Are the 'better options' Tivo? Some people don't want to or can't pay the monthly premium, so an option that doesn't involve a monthly fee is really what would be comparable to the Channel Master.

#46 of 56 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 08 2014 - 03:21 PM

Looks like Tivo's about to unveil an uber option:

http://arstechnica.c...ners-and-24-tb/

#47 of 56 OFFLINE   Matt Tucker

Matt Tucker

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted September 12 2014 - 01:27 PM

The OTA Tivo had me considering Tivo again.  The last time I had a Tivo it was the HR10-250 DVR with DirecTV and I remembered loving the interface.  I bought the base model Roamio two days ago and I am very happy with it.  The guide and features are well worth $15/month.  Having the option for lifetime service was one reason I bought the base model instead of OTA (not an option on Raomio OTA).  Support for Tivo minis was the 2nd reason.  A few days ago Tivo started including lifetime service in the purchase price of Tivo Minis (OTA Roamio doesn't support Minis).  They of course increased the selling price of the Mini, but a few places are selling them for the old price so I picked one up. Just in time for the new TV season.  

I am using the base model only for OTA stations.  For me, it was worth stepping up to the base model to get the option of lifetime and support for a Mini.  

Matt

• DaveF likes this

#48 of 56 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,337 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 25 2014 - 06:44 PM

Software update brings Amazon Prime streaming!
TCF is discussing it.
http://www.tivocommu...t=511202&page=5

#49 of 56 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 25 2014 - 08:20 PM

Software update brings Amazon Prime streaming!
TCF is discussing it.
http://www.tivocommu...t=511202&page=5

And Vudu streaming as well!

• DaveF likes this

#50 of 56 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted December 02 2014 - 11:27 PM

Cut the cord about two months ago, but turning out to be much more difficult and costlier than expected.

Going with Netflix, extra charge.

OTA is okay, but looking at an antenna, extra charge.

TIVO (which granted I didn't look into, just expected it to be like an old VCR, wrong), extra charge

(although TIVO has the new OTA model for $50, like Cameron stated, that may get me on board)

TIVO fees, monthly forever, extra charge

Many shows like Doctor Who, Falling Skies and others seem to require a cable/satellite subscription anyway. The major networks, NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX are fine. Netflix seems most compatible with TIVO even though I'm reading lots of complaints that they drop shows, lose licenses and are way behind on many movies and shows. I was just going to get the streaming service, but might have to sign up for the DVD/BR service.

Little by little, seem to be getting right back to where my Dish bill was to begin with.

Stan

#51 of 56 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,337 posts

Posted December 03 2014 - 02:43 AM

Netflix:$10/mo.
Tivo: buy a used model with lifetime from eBay for $400.
Antenna:$40

Dr. Who: watch a year or two behind via Netflix or pbs reruns.
Falling Skies, I'm not sure about Maybe watch a year behind by buying blu-Ray season releases.

But yes, cable is convenient and gives you everything...for a price. You can cut costs, but you also cut convenience and/or selection.
  • Stan likes this

#52 of 56 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted December 03 2014 - 06:43 AM

Cord cutting involves compromise of some kind. Unfortunately, most write ups on the topic don't mention that.

• Stan likes this

#53 of 56 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted December 03 2014 - 10:55 AM

Another cord cutting question.

With Dish, they added $15 a month for lease & insurance, but they did replace my DVR receiver if it failed. Four times when I first started (I didn't give them enough ventilation), then about two years later, just general mechanical failure, all with no charge. Also 4-5 chewed up remotes (new black lab puppy, until I learned to keep them out of her reach), also no charge.

Does the Tivo monthly fee include replacement or are you just out of luck and get to buy a new one?

Dave, any recommendations between Netflix or Amazon Prime since it's now supported?

Stan

#54 of 56 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,337 posts

Posted December 03 2014 - 05:21 PM

Tivo monthly does not cover hardware failures. When you buy a device new, you can pay for an extended warranty. If you anticipate using a Tivo for three years, buy Lifetime Service up front. It pays for itself vs monthly subscription. And you get much better resale value.

No opinion on streaming services. I've barely used Netflix (it works well on Tivo) and don't have Amazon Prime service.

I've be there and done that: six years of OTA HDTV and a few years of lifeline cable ($10/mo). I had TiVo at $15/mo in there. I watched networks and reruns of Dr. Who. Just three years ago did I upgrade to a full digital cable with TiVo using a cable card. And I still don't pay for HBO, etc, so am out of it on Game of Thrones, Homeland, etc.

If you want to watch cable shows, you need to pay for cable. If you're ok with networks and being a year behind on series that show on streaming services, you can do that for much less. :)
  • Stan likes this

#55 of 56 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,337 posts

Posted December 03 2014 - 09:42 PM

Another quick note :)
If you want a TiVo for OTA, pick the right one.
TiVoHD supports it (2 tuner)
TiVo Premiere, I'm not familiar with
TiVo Roamio base model (four tuner) does it, but not the Plus or Pro
  • Stan likes this

#56 of 56 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,337 posts

Posted December 06 2014 - 07:58 AM

The Transfer-to-ipad feature remains a favorite feature. It's buggy and takes more babysitting than I like. But having Tivo record, say, Mad Men, transfer to ipad, and watch on airplanes, is great. This feature effectively defrays the cost of the Tivo, by reducing what I'd spend DVD sets or iTunes purchases.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users