What's new

TiVo Edge - software interface: scheduling grids? (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
I realize I'm showing my ignorance but please be patient all. :)

I've been a Premiere user for some years and previously considered the Roamio and Bolt models at some point but the drastically altered new interface really worried me and what I thought (I may have been in error believing this) was the dropping of scheduling grids (Tivo and TV guide based) killed the deal for me. What use would a crippled TiVo be if all you could do is look up movies and tv shows (like Netflix and Prime) to record and not see what cable stations were actually broadcasting on specified days and times? Seemed like nonsense to me.

My question is TiVo has reached out to me with deals for the Edge box recently. In what little research I've done it appears the software on this box does include scheduling grids, but I could be wrong. Could someone confirm this? I'm hoping to see the TiVo style scheduling grid in particular. This is the make or break for me.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I have a Roamio and Bolt (not Edge) and I still have the same type grids I've always had over the last decade+ though maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're asking. I think there are a couple different guide options (Grid Guide and TIVO Live)

I did update to Tivo Experience 4 briefly, but went back to 3 on one of the units. I don't remember the interface being all that different, but a few other issues made me like 3 better probably more b/c I was used to it.

I found this which is the Edge Grid Guide under TE4 -- is this the kind of Guide you need. What I couldn't find is a pic of the TIVO LIVE guide which I found pretty worthless or else I never learned how to use it correctly (apparently some people strongly prefer the TIVO LIVE style). As I understand it, the Edge with TE4 doesn't have the TIVO Live Style anymore though the Roamio and Bolt do

rtaImage

Last edited:

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Thanks David. The TiVo Live Guide is the programming alternative I was referring to and that is my preferred scheduling approach over the grid and has been for many years. It uses 2 columns with stations on the left and when a station is chosen the scheduled shows display in the right column allowing you to scroll up and down much faster than having to move constantly right in the grid approach. I guess I'm one of those who buck the trend. REALLY sorry to hear they dumped it for the Edge.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TiVo's newer machines don't allow you to run T3, they only have T4, which is why I won't be buying anything newer than a Bolt. And be careful about that as it is my understanding that the later Bolts wouldn't allow T3 either. I'm like you Charles, I am a big proponent of the TiVo Live Guide, and cannot understand why TiVo doesn't allow it as an option under T4 experience.

Here's a shot of the Live Guide I found online:

LiveGuide.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks