What's new

Tivo Roamio: The Best DVR You Should Own (Review) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have to say, I love the fact that I can take my iPad out on the
back deck and stream content from my Roamio.

This is the best Tivo to date!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Tivo Roamio OTA may get me on board.

http://www.cnet.com/products/tivo-roamio-ota/

But it also seems set up for failure given the monthly price and the likelihood that this will go gangbusters. I think most TV watchers still see using an antenna as kind of regressive.
As usual, it pays to get the lifetime subscription if you plan to keep a device for more than a couple of years. Factoring in subscription fees and accessories (like antennas and the external hard drives required for some devices), the Roamio OTA is the second-most-expensive cable-free DVR on the market after three years.
And if you keep it for three years and six months or longer, it actually becomes the most expensive, passing the standard cable-compatible TiVo Roamio. Suddenly, that $50 upfront price doesn't seem like such a hot deal.
TiVo is calling this product a "limited edition" at this point, and it sounds like the company is testing the waters for its popularity. The Roamio OTA will be available at "select Best Buy stores in select markets from mid-September," and the company says it anticipates selling the product via BestBuy.com in October.
As with the standard Roamio, the Roamio OTA should offer the best over-the-air DVR experience for cable cutters, but the relatively high monthly charge and the lack of a lifetime option are big disincentives. If you're looking to save money in the long run, the fee-free Channel Master DVR+ is probably your best option.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Cameron Yee said:
This is a rudimentary DVR, nothing like TiVo. I would pay a small premium and purchase a new TiVo with lifetime or buy a used TiVo Premiere with lifetime which can be purchased for less money than this DVR, either way you have a reliable, polished DVR. I would continue to forget about Channel Master if I wanted an OTA DVR since there are better options. I have been using TiVo since 2000 and TiVo for OTA exclusively since 2009.

As far as Netflix not being of high quality according to other posts here, last fall Netflix SuperHD became available in Little Rock using Comcast Xfinity and the quality has been excellent ever since, bitrate 5800Kbps and 1080p often with DD+ 5.1. I wasn't a big fan prior to that but have subscribed ever since. An inexpensive streaming box adds a lot that TiVo won't do, I don't use TiVo for Netflix or other streaming services as a result but that is a different discussion.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Are the 'better options' Tivo? Some people don't want to or can't pay the monthly premium, so an option that doesn't involve a monthly fee is really what would be comparable to the Channel Master.

Matt Tucker

Agent
Real Name
Matt Tucker
The OTA Tivo had me considering Tivo again. The last time I had a Tivo it was the HR10-250 DVR with DirecTV and I remembered loving the interface. I bought the base model Roamio two days ago and I am very happy with it. The guide and features are well worth $15/month. Having the option for lifetime service was one reason I bought the base model instead of OTA (not an option on Raomio OTA). Support for Tivo minis was the 2nd reason. A few days ago Tivo started including lifetime service in the purchase price of Tivo Minis (OTA Roamio doesn't support Minis). They of course increased the selling price of the Mini, but a few places are selling them for the old price so I picked one up. Just in time for the new TV season.

I am using the base model only for OTA stations. For me, it was worth stepping up to the base model to get the option of lifetime and support for a Mini.

Matt

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Cut the cord about two months ago, but turning out to be much more difficult and costlier than expected.

Going with Netflix, extra charge.
OTA is okay, but looking at an antenna, extra charge.
TIVO (which granted I didn't look into, just expected it to be like an old VCR, wrong), extra charge
(although TIVO has the new OTA model for $50, like Cameron stated, that may get me on board)
TIVO fees, monthly forever, extra charge

Many shows like Doctor Who, Falling Skies and others seem to require a cable/satellite subscription anyway. The major networks, NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX are fine. Netflix seems most compatible with TIVO even though I'm reading lots of complaints that they drop shows, lose licenses and are way behind on many movies and shows. I was just going to get the streaming service, but might have to sign up for the DVD/BR service.

Little by little, seem to be getting right back to where my Dish bill was to begin with.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Netflix:$10/mo.Tivo: buy a used model with lifetime from eBay for $400.Antenna:$40Dr. Who: watch a year or two behind via Netflix or pbs reruns.Falling Skies, I'm not sure about Maybe watch a year behind by buying blu-Ray season releases.But yes, cable is convenient and gives you everything...for a price. You can cut costs, but you also cut convenience and/or selection.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Cord cutting involves compromise of some kind. Unfortunately, most write ups on the topic don't mention that.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Another cord cutting question.With Dish, they added $15 a month for lease & insurance, but they did replace my DVR receiver if it failed. Four times when I first started (I didn't give them enough ventilation), then about two years later, just general mechanical failure, all with no charge. Also 4-5 chewed up remotes (new black lab puppy, until I learned to keep them out of her reach), also no charge.

Does the Tivo monthly fee include replacement or are you just out of luck and get to buy a new one?Dave, any recommendations between Netflix or Amazon Prime since it's now supported?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tivo monthly does not cover hardware failures. When you buy a device new, you can pay for an extended warranty. If you anticipate using a Tivo for three years, buy Lifetime Service up front. It pays for itself vs monthly subscription. And you get much better resale value. No opinion on streaming services. I've barely used Netflix (it works well on Tivo) and don't have Amazon Prime service.I've be there and done that: six years of OTA HDTV and a few years of lifeline cable ($10/mo). I had TiVo at $15/mo in there. I watched networks and reruns of Dr. Who. Just three years ago did I upgrade to a full digital cable with TiVo using a cable card. And I still don't pay for HBO, etc, so am out of it on Game of Thrones, Homeland, etc.If you want to watch cable shows, you need to pay for cable. If you're ok with networks and being a year behind on series that show on streaming services, you can do that for much less. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another quick note :)If you want a TiVo for OTA, pick the right one.TiVoHD supports it (2 tuner)TiVo Premiere, I'm not familiar withTiVo Roamio base model (four tuner) does it, but not the Plus or Pro

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Transfer-to-ipad feature remains a favorite feature. It's buggy and takes more babysitting than I like. But having Tivo record, say, Mad Men, transfer to ipad, and watch on airplanes, is great. This feature effectively defrays the cost of the Tivo, by reducing what I'd spend DVD sets or iTunes purchases.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://online.tivo.com/

New TiVo feature: Watch your TiVo shows on a local computer computer through a web browser.

Looks like you can also manage your OnePass recording list through the web browser. Currently, this is only available on the same network as your TiVos.

But yet another feature to enable the TiVo work for you! :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Also Plex support added, and I've found the casting of YouTube and Vimeo (through the Opera store) to be really handy.

Moved to a two bedroom from a studio and have a Mini in the bedroom and my Pro in the living room. Roommate may get a Mini when he gets my stopgap tv.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How the Roamio helps pay for itself: I'd recorded AMC's full-series replays of Breaking Bad and Mad Men when they aired. I watched them on airplanes, in hotel rooms, and at the gym. Offline viewing isn't even an option for Netflix and only recently for Amazon Prime. Without the Tivo Roamio, I'd have spent about $350 to buy these shows in HD from Apple iTunes.

I paid about $700 for the Roamio with lifetime. Its offline viewing feature has effectively paid for half that.

I'll be watching for interesting seasons replays over the holidays to binge-record, for the next year's viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks