What's new

Tivo Roamio: The Best DVR You Should Own (Review) (1 Viewer)

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Is out-of-network streaming/downloading available in some fashion on a computer at this point? That would be. for me, the most effective hardware to make use of this feature.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I've just gotten back on the TiVo bandwagon, after owning a Series 2 a decade ago. When cable offered a DVR finally it was at the time much cheaper an option and so I let my folks have my series 2 when I moved. Now though, Time Warner fees are nearly $30 a month, so the $15 TiVo cost is pretty good even with the Cable Card factored in. And all the extra features made it a no brainer.I was going to get a plus, but when I looked at the situation the pro made more sense for me. I just got a Best Buy credit card, and if I got the Pro I can do 18 months financing as opposed to 6 month for the plus. That difference alone made it worth the extra. I also got a coupon in email this morning for 10% off, and they have a $50 gift card promo, so I got the Pro for about $490 all in. I wanted to do the lifetime service, but only if I could do it in like 6 months once I have the box paid down. They only let you add it within 30 days of activating though, so I'll stick with monthly on this box, but in many years when I need to replace this one I'll be ready to get the lifetime.Just hearing the old TiVo sounds was something that put a smile on my face. I just want to go and try to convince everyone to get one so this company can keep afloat! I never want to go back to that horrible cable DVR again. I just have to record off the rest of the shows I need to keep on the Time Warner box so I can get it back. And also pick up the Tuning Adaptor which they didn't mention I'd need when I got the cable card today (grrr). It's also taking ages to setup/activate/download updates. Going on 2 hours now but I can see that it's working to tune channels so it should be ready in time to record SNL tonight. Now to go write down all my season passes from the old box to add to the new...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You can add lifetime service anytime you want. (Or so I understand) I bought lifetime for my TiVoHD boxes four years after buying them. Though if you qualify for discounted lifetime, maybe you can't get the same price in six months. Awesome you got a better deal through a new BB card. I paid for MSRP on launch weekend for the plus and was happy just to find one in stock :)Being able to delete stations from the guide is nice, but it's an unending task. The TiVo keeps finding "new" pissant stations to add. It's like stepping on ants. They just keep coming.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Even if I have to delete something errant here and there it's still better.It's still not fully functioning, I only had broadcast channels as the CC wasn't paired the first time. Finally sat on hold for 45 mins and they fixed it in 2 minutes.Still have a bunch of channels not working since they didn't give me a tuning adaptor when I got my cable card, so I have to go Monday morning and get that and set it up. I asked the lady on the phone when I activated from TiVo and she said that you could only add lifetime service in the first 30 days. Not sure if she just was mistaken or something. I'd think they'd be glad to have 4--5 months of monthly fees from me then the $500 lol. It's worth a call when I'm ready to make that deal though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe they changed the policy on Lifetime. Have you checked through the TiVo website about upgrading to lifetime? TiVo Community Forum is also a great place to go for these sorts of questions. Bummer about the cable card problems. I've read a lot of horror stories about them.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
It all worked fine, a bit of hassle but less than many i read about online.This thing is so great they couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, really like the combo of roamio and a mini. If downloading to iPad was more bulletproof, it would be perfect. I want to set up a third room, just to have another mini and exercise my network more :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TIVO DEMOS NETWORK DVR PROTOTYPE FOR OPERATORS AT CES
TiVo Reveals Plans to Bring TiVo® Roamio™ DVR Experience to the Cloud with Network Recordings Seamlessly Integrated, Easily Searchable and Available Anywhere, Anytime

LAS VEGAS, NV – January 7, 2014 – TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), a global leader in the advanced television entertainment market, demonstrated a Network DVR (NDVR) next generation cloud television prototype today at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.

“It may surprise people to learn just how many of TiVo’s features are already delivered from the cloud but storage in the cloud is the easy part. TiVo is making it easy both for the consumer and the operator to navigate within a cloud environment to facilitate a TV experience that is much more personal and we are once again leading the way in developing the best in class consumer features to enable the consumer to access all the content they want, whenever and wherever they want it - even as those sources and devices continue to evolve,” said TiVo’s Vice President of Innovation, Joshua Danovitz. “With an increasingly complicated entertainment landscape that includes a multitude of content choices, sources and devices, both consumers and operators are challenged to find the appropriate means to navigate the burgeoning content. TiVo is once again defining the landscape of how viewers will consume entertainment, and how pay TV operators provide the best in class user experience.”

The TiVo NDVR is a natural extension of the TiVo solution and will use TiVo’s Emmy Award winning cloud service. TiVo’s NDVR will extend the TiVo Service and consistent user experience on every device, while enabling consumers to easily find, consume and socially share cloud delivered content through the TiVo user interface. This is an important next step for operators as they consider a transition to IP delivered content and utilization of low-cost IP clients and consumer provided devices (tablets, smartphones, etc.) while enhancing the user experience anywhere they may be.

TiVo will extend current features and functionality and plans to enable new consumer features that enable co-viewing experiences through social networks and recommendations across disparate libraries of content.

“The natural evolution of the TiVo Service to address network storage is one of the cornerstones of TiVo’s overall strategy to deliver an experience that delights the consumer on every screen while driving down pay TV operator costs at the same time as increasing monetization opportunities,” continued Danovitz.

In addition to moving the Roamio experience to the cloud, TiVo would be enabling operators and programmers to manage complex content rights, create multiple tiers of network PVR features, and enable multiscreen policies that accelerate the critical transition to an all IP video world. For instance, operators deploying TiVo’s NDVR could offer a premium service with expanded catch-up and save options. The service could also empower programmers to more intelligently target advertising in cloud hosted time-shifted content.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just found out about the Channel Master DVR+, which may be the answer for those of us looking to do OTA recording without a monthly subscription fee. But the guide data is usually the critical piece, and I couldn't help noticing the fine print:
availability of guide data is not controlled by Channel Master and is subject to change without notice
http://www.channelmaster.com/Products_s/329.htm#DVR+

CNET Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/video-players-and-recorders/channel-master-dvr/4505-6463_7-35833139.html

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Same potential problem as with an HTPC. But that's only two channels, and doesn't seem to support streaming to a second DVR. I'd rather get the TiVo Roamio 4-tuner and pay the lifetime fee to get OTA.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Keith Plucker said:
Looks like Tivo might be exiting the hardware business relatively soon...http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/01/tivo-lays-hardware-design-team-gets-ready-exit-hardware/ -Keith
Looks like Wired is resorting to base fearmongering for page views.http://techland.time.com/2014/01/22/tivo-exiting-the-hardware-business-not-so-fast-says-tivo/It sounds like TiVo is changing focus with current hardware shipped, and online services the next big focus. But they don't seem to be going the route of a pure software, zero hardware, make a TivoOS for lousy cable boxes.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
DaveF said:
Looks like Wired is resorting to base fearmongering for page views.http://techland.time.com/2014/01/22/tivo-exiting-the-hardware-business-not-so-fast-says-tivo/It sounds like TiVo is changing focus with current hardware shipped, and online services the next big focus. But they don't seem to be going the route of a pure software, zero hardware, make a TivoOS for lousy cable boxes.
Ars has a nice article about it as well. http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/01/tivos-steve-wymer-lays-out-his-companys-current-and-future-hardware-plans/

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Trying Netflix reinforces for me that TiVo was right choice. Netflix quality in prime time is terrible. I don't know how people watch it for all their tv and movies.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
5 seasons of Breaking Bad recorded during its marathon run up to finale. Watched on iPad, using wifi transfer before business trips. Also watched most of 30 Rock this way. This is equivalent to about $200-$300 in blu-rays, ripped and copied over. In this calculus, the Roamio pays for itself to the traveler!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks