What's new

Is there any more news on the Bob Newhart Show or Newhart? (1 Viewer)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Just curious whether anybody has heard any rumblings about either the Bob Newhart Show or Newhart, since it was mentioned about a year ago on here that they were both being worked on. Has there been any news in the time since then?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If I so much as see *one* Fox title unstalled, then I can have some hope once again for my big three of stalled titles, of which Bob Newhart is one (the others being Burke's Law and The Big Valley; my "three B's" as it were!)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Sony owns Mad About You.

And Mike Dunn, Fox Home Entertainment CEO has officially failed Business 101. That's what I think about his attitude towards Shout Factory.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Neil Brock said:
Not officially. :D
Is there any hope that hint might be applied to Newhart? I definitely want to see both shows out, but I've been wanting to see more of Newhart since the first season's release!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Kasey said:
Hmmm....could this be the big secret stalled series Shout is supposed to resurrect soon? If so, it would give hope for Rhoda and Phyllis.
I love the Bob Newhart Show personally but IMO I don't think this is the big secret Shout project we have heard about. I just don't see Shout putting all that money into a show with only two seasons left that haven't been on the market yet.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Frank Soyke said:
I love the Bob Newhart Show personally but IMO I don't think this is the big secret Shout project we have heard about. I just don't see Shout putting all that money into a show with only two seasons left that haven't been on the market yet.
Personally, I'm inclined to agree with you. I was under the impression from posts in the thread "Possible Bad News for Bob Newhart Show's Remaing Two Seasons" made most of a year ago that Fox Home Entertainment was looking into trying to put out both shows, although I will admit situations like that can change. However, with the Bob Newhart Show, I THINK (I don't know for sure) Shout (or anybody else for that matter) would be contending with issues as a result of the two preorder listings for the final two seasons that were put up two years ago, since there might be possible backlash depending on what the set prices might end up being. I mean, the sales on those two preorders really jumped up into the top 50, if I remember correctly, and the starting price had been about $20.99. With Amazon's preorder price guarantee, if somebody puts the set out with the requirement that the price be higher, a lot of people that might have tried to preorder at that original price might be mad about it. OF course, as I say, this is my own opinion, and we could both well be wrong about it.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I'd love to see more Newhart (and of course things we'll probably never see like uncut WKRP), any ideas why Fox won't even tread the MOD route? Is it just a money/cost issue, or do they - as we're inclined to believe - really have zero interest in their own back catalog?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
HenryDuBrow said:
I'd love to see more Newhart (and of course things we'll probably never see like uncut WKRP), any ideas why Fox won't even tread the MOD route? Is it just a money/cost issue, or do they - as we're inclined to believe - really have zero interest in their own back catalog?
The last thing you said. They have zero interest in their back catalogue. And even less interest in their acquired back catalogues like Four Star, MTM, Ziv. As for Metromedia, which they also own, people treat it as PD because Fox is so clueless that they don't even know they own it. That's how stuff like Dusty's Trail gets put out. Believe me, most of the studios don't have too much knowledge or interest in their obscure shows from many decades ago. Fox just has less than the others.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
KPmusmag said:
Just this morning amazon officially canceled my order for seasons 5 and 6 of The Bob Newhart Show.
My hunch is that this is confirmation that those seasons will be released by Shout (or somebody other than Fox). Amazon had them listed as Fox releases, so Fox must have sent them word that they are not releasing them. If Amazon got word that those seasons will be released by some company other than Fox, they had no choice but to cancel the pre-orders because they have no information on what the prices will be.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I agree, I think that's a positive sign that a Shout release announcement is very near.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Everybody start your complaining now, but remember, Shout generally releases unreleased seasons in single season format after the complete set has been on the shelf for a while...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bob-Newhart-The-Complete-Series/19337

Me, I'm just happy those last two seasons are finally coming out in some fashion! And honestly, re-buying the first four seasons will be worth it to get rid of the flippers in the original sets.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^^You beat me by a few minutes! :)

I'm thrilled with this announcement and have done a rare-for-me pre-order of this set! I, too, am happy to be rid of the flippers as I had problems with one season (it was exchanged) and every time I watch some episodes I do so with that uneasy feeling that *this* time another will hang/stutter/crap out.

Based on this plus the accelerated releases of the single seasons of Newhart I have a strong feeling *that one* will be completed as well. I tend to think it didn't receive a "full series" release first simply due to the number of seasons.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Did any one else think that Newhart went downhill a bit after the first two seasons. I really thought that Steve Kampmann's Kirk character was the funniest one on the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks