Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there any more news on the Bob Newhart Show or Newhart?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Astairefan

Astairefan

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 04:51 PM

Just curious whether anybody has heard any rumblings about either the Bob Newhart Show or Newhart, since it was mentioned about a year ago on here that they were both being worked on.  Has there been any news in the time since then?

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,115 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 07:00 AM

Not officially. :D

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Astairefan

Astairefan

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 09:39 AM

Any idea when we might hear something?

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hmmm....could this be the big secret stalled series Shout is supposed to resurrect soon? If so, it would give hope for Rhoda and Phyllis.

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,100 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 10:56 AM

If I so much as see *one* Fox title unstalled, then I can have some hope once again for my big three of stalled titles, of which Bob Newhart is one (the others being Burke's Law and The Big Valley; my "three B's" as it were!)

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'm not a big fan of it, but fingers crossed for you Jack.

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 02:33 PM

I hope it is, so it helps get the ball rolling once again on Rhoda and Phyllis and a few other FOX shows like Mad About You and Belvidere and such. From last i heard though, nothing was in the works for the last two seasons of The Bob Newhart Show as Amazon still has those last two seasons listed as pre-orders. I'm still waiting for Sgt. Bilko to come out with the last three seasons as well.

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 02:35 PM

Sony owns Mad About You.

And Mike Dunn, Fox Home Entertainment CEO has officially failed Business 101. That's what I think about his attitude towards Shout Factory.

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Astairefan

Astairefan

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 05:35 PM

Is there any hope that hint might be applied to Newhart?  I definitely want to see both shows out, but I've been wanting to see more of Newhart since the first season's release!

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 02:51 AM

Hmmm....could this be the big secret stalled series Shout is supposed to resurrect soon? If so, it would give hope for Rhoda and Phyllis.

I love the Bob Newhart Show personally but IMO I don't think this is the big secret Shout project we have heard about. I just don't see Shout putting all that money into a show with only two seasons left that haven't been on the market yet.

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Astairefan

Astairefan

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 05:27 AM

I love the Bob Newhart Show personally but IMO I don't think this is the big secret Shout project we have heard about. I just don't see Shout putting all that money into a show with only two seasons left that haven't been on the market yet.

Personally, I'm inclined to agree with you.  I was under the impression from posts in the thread "Possible Bad News for Bob Newhart Show's Remaing Two Seasons" made most of a year ago that Fox Home Entertainment was looking into trying to put out both shows, although I will admit situations like that can change.  However, with the Bob Newhart Show, I THINK (I don't know for sure) Shout (or anybody else for that matter) would be contending with issues as a result of the two preorder listings for the final two seasons that were put up two years ago, since there might be possible backlash depending on what the set prices might end up being.  I mean, the sales on those two preorders really jumped up into the top 50, if I remember correctly, and the starting price had been about $20.99.  With Amazon's preorder price guarantee, if somebody puts the set out with the requirement that the price be higher, a lot of people that might have tried to preorder at that original price might be mad about it.  OF course, as I say, this is my own opinion, and we could both well be wrong about it.

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 06:23 AM

I'd love to see more Newhart (and of course things we'll probably never see like uncut WKRP), any ideas why Fox won't even tread the MOD route? Is it just a money/cost issue, or do they - as we're inclined to believe - really have zero interest in their own back catalog?

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,115 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 08:15 AM

I'd love to see more Newhart (and of course things we'll probably never see like uncut WKRP), any ideas why Fox won't even tread the MOD route? Is it just a money/cost issue, or do they - as we're inclined to believe - really have zero interest in their own back catalog?

The last thing you said. They have zero interest in their back catalogue. And even less interest in their acquired back catalogues like Four Star, MTM, Ziv. As for Metromedia, which they also own, people treat it as PD because Fox is so clueless that they don't even know they own it. That's how stuff like Dusty's Trail gets put out. Believe me, most of the studios don't have too much knowledge or interest in their obscure shows from many decades ago. Fox just has less than the others.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 307 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted November 09 2013 - 11:45 AM

Just this morning amazon officially canceled my order for seasons 5 and 6 of The Bob Newhart Show.

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,099 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted November 09 2013 - 08:40 PM

Just this morning amazon officially canceled my order for seasons 5 and 6 of The Bob Newhart Show.

My hunch is that this is confirmation that those seasons will be released by Shout (or somebody other than Fox).  Amazon had them listed as Fox releases, so Fox must have sent them word that they are not releasing them. If Amazon got word that those seasons will be released by some company other than Fox, they had no choice but to cancel the pre-orders because they have no information on what the prices will be.

Rich Gallagher

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,100 posts

Posted November 09 2013 - 08:50 PM

I agree, I think that's a positive sign that a Shout release announcement is very near.

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted November 10 2013 - 12:49 AM

Sounds like some form of good news to me in finishing up this specific series.

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,205 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted January 09 2014 - 04:42 PM

Everybody start your complaining now, but remember, Shout generally releases unreleased seasons in single season format after the complete set has been on the shelf for a while...

http://www.tvshowson...te-Series/19337

Me, I'm just happy those last two seasons are finally coming out in some fashion! And honestly, re-buying the first four seasons will be worth it to get rid of the flippers in the original sets.

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 04:54 PM

So that makes it three Fox shows Shout has completed (Son of the Beach and Dobie Gillis the other two).

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,649 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted January 09 2014 - 04:58 PM

^^You beat me by a few minutes! :)

I'm thrilled with this announcement and have done a rare-for-me pre-order of this set!  I, too, am happy to be rid of the flippers as I had problems with one season (it was exchanged) and every time I watch some episodes I do so with that uneasy feeling that *this* time another will hang/stutter/crap out.

Based on this plus the accelerated releases of the single seasons of Newhart I have a strong feeling *that one* will be completed as well.  I tend to think it didn't receive a "full series" release first simply due to the number of seasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users