What's new

Sleepy Hollow Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Looks like it could be decent, but I'm not going to be watching. Have a feeling it will be one of the first cancellations of the season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Very entertaining pilot, and Tom Mison was fantastic as Ichabod Crane. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't spent most of my life in upstate New York and didn't deal with Tarrytowns on a regular basis for my job.Certain things had to be fudged so the show could shoot in North Carolina, but there were basic details they didn't bother to get right. The real village of Sleepy Hollow has a population of under 10,000 -- certainly nowhere near the more biblically pertinent 144,000. While the village has its own police department, the office of sheriff in the state of New York is an elected county official outside of New York City. Therefore Mills should have either worked for the village police department or the Westchester County sheriff's office.I also think it's weird that the show's playing it out as if Washington Irving's story never existed.On the plus side, unless they did a really good job finding locations to double, I think the aerial photography for the establishing shots and bridging montages were footage of the actual village and actual area. I think I spotted the Rip Van Winkle Bridge at one point.Nicole Beharie showed how bad of a job the sheriff in "Under the Dome" has done. She's also a small woman, but she instantly commands some authority in a way that Linda never convincingly did.I also liked Orlando Jones in the Lance Reddick role. There's a softness and a thoughtfulness to his performance that runs counter to his role as the guy who barks orders. I found that interesting.Poor John Cho.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I thought the pilot was good. A bit too much plot was given this early. Trusting Ichibod with her back story involving the sister could have waited till episode 2/3. But maybe "rushing it" is necessary in our ADD world.Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's only in for a half-season, right? Then The Following takes the time slot back?

I guess if the ratings are a smash, they could move it to somewhere else on the schedule and continue filming.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm hearing the ratings in the top 25 markets was pretty good. Len Wiseman directed the pilot.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
schan1269 said:
I thought the pilot was good. A bit too much plot was given this early. Trusting Ichibod with her back story involving the sister could have waited till episode 2/3. But maybe "rushing it" is necessary in our ADD world.Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app
That is one of the things I mentioned in my post. I thought it was horrible to tell you the truth.I did not like the rushed feel.

- All of sudden she trusts him enough to be here partner behind the Captain/LT back
- He is now trust worthy to be assigned to the case after just being sent to the loony bin for a 72 hour hold
- Horseman can now use a shotgun and M-16/AR-15 gun like no other
- Not to mention shotgun rounds that explode and shoot nice sparks and fire..... (nit picky I know)
- She just happens to find a key that unlocks all the "secrets" (using this loosely) the previous sheriff was looking into.

I did like the idea of the HH as one of the four horseman, that part was actually pretty good and I could so seeing this as a good point.

I will watch to see if it get's better, but I am not impressed with it so far.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From my perspective, if I can accept the concept of a headless horseman from 1776 riding a white horse with red eyes in 2013, and him being one of the four horseman of the apocalypse, then I can easily look over some script jumps to move the series along.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert Crawford said:
From my perspective, if I can accept the concept of a headless horseman from 1776 riding a white horse with red eyes in 2013, and him being one of the four horseman of the apocalypse, then I can easily look over some script jumps to move the series along.
When you say it that way...The only issue was the rushed plot. This could have been 2hrs.Good to see Katia Winter catching more American TV.Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having seen "The Vampire Diaries" churn through a ton of plot, hopefully the producers for this show can handle the plotting pace they started out with on this pilot episode. I thought it was okay, pilot-wise, it hasn't quite grabbed me in the way I look forward to the next episode as much as I'd want.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
When you say it that way...The only issue was the rushed plot. This could have been 2hrs.Good to see Katia Winter catching more American TV.Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app
It should've been, but it wasn't so now we're off to the races with it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Sun said:
Having seen "The Vampire Diaries" churn through a ton of plot, hopefully the producers for this show can handle the plotting pace they started out with on this pilot episode. I thought it was okay, pilot-wise, it hasn't quite grabbed me in the way I look forward to the next episode as much as I'd want.
Patrick,

You watch a lot more TV programming than I do, so you've seen it all. I usually limit myself to 4-5 series a year to watch including my favorites from the previous year so that usually leaves me with only 1-2 slots available after whatever shows I did follow got the axe for cancellation. This year, I'll be expanding that number because I already have POI, Elementary, Bluebloods, Grimm and Boardwalk Empire.

So far, this series has grabbed me because of my limited experiences with other television programming. Hopefully, The Blacklist will be the second new show that grabs me which will bring my total of shows I watch to 7.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert Crawford said:
Patrick,You watch a lot more TV programming than I do, so you've seen it all. I usually limit myself to 4-5 series a year to watch including my favorites from the previous year so that usually leaves me with only 1-2 slots available after whatever shows I did follow got the axe for cancellation. This year, I'll be expanding that number because I already have POI, Elementary, Bluebloods, Grimm and Boardwalk Empire.So far, this series has grabbed me because of my limited experiences with other television programming. Hopefully, The Blacklist will be the second new show that grabs me which will bring my total of shows I watch to 7.
You mean, you don't watch "Caskett"? (That would be Castle)I watch DWTS, natural lead in. I may drop Bones. Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Rhett, I think the exploding shotgun shells were more to do with the supernatural nature of the Horseman. Remember how his blades heated up? Maybe, the shells are enhanced by the Horseman.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
todd s said:
Rhett, I think the exploding shotgun shells were more to do with the supernatural nature of the Horseman. Remember how his blades heated up? Maybe, the shells are enhanced by the Horseman.
Ah, didn't think of that, interesting and that very well could be the case.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Pretty fun pilot episode. They threw a lot of elements into the first episode and I agree that it felt like the show rushed through a lot of plot points to get Abbie and Ichabod partnered up by the end of the pilot. I like the casting, but I was really disappointed that Clancy Brown won't be sticking around. (Shades of Jeff Fahey.) I enjoy Ichabod's 'future shock' moments and they should serve the show well as comedic relief to break the tension.

The mixing of the Headless Horseman with the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse is an interesting combination that should give the show a lot of elements to explore. I definitely got a 'Terminator' vibe from the Horseman arming up with a shotgun and automatic weapon(s). I'll be sticking around for now.

'Do you think he can hear us?' :)

I can't claim credit for this observation but as was pointed out elsewhere on the web, how ironic was it that Kurgan was beheaded in this episode?

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks