What's new

Sleepy Hollow Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Walter Kittel said:
Pretty fun pilot episode. They threw a lot of elements into the first episode and I agree that it felt like the show rushed through a lot of plot points to get Abbie and Ichabod partnered up by the end of the pilot. I like the casting, but I was really disappointed that Clancy Brown won't be sticking around. (Shades of Jeff Fahey.) I enjoy Ichabod's 'future shock' moments and they should serve the show well as comedic relief to break the tension.

The mixing of the Headless Horseman with the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse is an interesting combination that should give the show a lot of elements to explore. I definitely got a 'Terminator' vibe from the Horseman arming up with a shotgun and automatic weapon(s). I'll be sticking around for now.

'Do you think he can hear us?' :)

I can't claim credit for this observation but as was pointed out elsewhere on the web, how ironic was it that Kurgan was beheaded in this episode?

- Walter.
Yup I couldn't agree more..... We thought the same thing!!!!!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Someone mentioned the pacing of the show. Slow pacing has ruined many a fine show, leading to cancellation by executives unwilling to let a show find it's audience. Invasion comes to mind. It was an excellent show, IMHO, but suffered from the pacing a snail would find slow. By the time it FINALLY hit its' stride, it had been cancelled. Same thing with Alcatraz. Both shows really had potential, but mostly blew it with terrible pacing and the slow reveal. Too bad.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
We enjoyed the pilot pretty well, but the accelerated pace and trimmed exposition were pretty obvious, though not necessarily a problem. It had the benefit of getting a lot of the premise and back story out so hopefully the rest of the episodes can cover more critical stuff.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It did feel rushed and disjointed, like they edited down a 2 hour pilot into one. On the fence about continuing. I would have been more inclined to stick around if they didn't off Clancy Brown so quickly.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I have to agree with everyone who said it felt rushed. I think a 2 part pilot would have been a little better but I'm still happy though with the way the show turned out. When I saw the first previews for it I was thinking this was a definite skip. I just couldn't figure out how they were going to get a full season out of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow tale let alone a few seasons. But after watching the pilot I think they've got a great idea going with the direction they will be taking it. I think if they had just stuck with the common story line I probably would have dropped it after a few episodes.

I am bummed they killed off Clancy Brown and John Cho in the pilot. But I figured maybe they wanted some bigger names to pull in people that might not have otherwise watched it. I'm hoping they will be back.

Oh, and that mirror scene at the end scared the shit out of me. I was staring really hard at the TV trying to make out what the hell was walking and then BAM! Damn.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I also felt things were a bit rushed as far as everyone coming on board and them partnering up. But I enjoyed it and will be back for more. It definitely has promise.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I liked the first episode, but it did suffer from "origin-itis." Often the origin movie in a series suffers because it's got to do a lot of setup. Some do it better than others. This definitely could have been a 2 hour episode.

Crane's fish-out-water moments in present-day were humorous and the preview showed a bit where he was reacting a sales-tax. I got a good laugh from that. We'll continue to watch this. It does need to get better.

I was disappointed when the sherif died, I like that actor and thought he would be a strong contributor to the show. The DA dude, I was unsure of what "side" he's on. Any opinions?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Adam Lenhardt said:
I also think it's weird that the show's playing it out as if Washington Irving's story never existed.
I was wondering about that as well, and had to remember when hearing the name "Washington" in the show, that they are referring to George Washington and not the author, Washington Irving. Though, the name of the author did make it into the show, as the name of Orlando Jones' character.I did think the Pilot was interesting enough, to keep watching.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
As usual at the HTF I am in the minority and thought the pilot was great - whomever made the point earlier on the pace of a show helping to make it or break was spot on. I find this show immensely entertaining.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ChristopherG said:
As usual at the HTF I am in the minority and thought the pilot was great - whomever made the point earlier on the pace of a show helping to make it or break was spot on. I find this show immensely entertaining.
You're not in the minority, most people thought the pilot was great they just expressed a couple of things that bother them.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, it would seem I got my Clancy Brown and John Cho wish. haha
Funny, I was thinking about your poor John Cho post when he reappeared. :) I'd be fine with both actors having recurring roles on the show.

I enjoyed the second episode. I've noticed that I have been using the word 'tone' quite a bit when discussing the new shows and I guess that is one of the fundamental things I'm focused upon is whether the elements of the show are a good fit for the genre and style of the show in question. For me, Sleepy Hollow does a good job of fitting my expectations in this regard. I'm pretty excited about John Noble joining the show, but I do hope he does something other than Walter Bishop 2.0. Eccentric will be fine, but I hope the writers do something to distinguish the characters.

- Walter.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Second episode was ok and tended to given an idea of how this show is going to run. I hope it strikes the right balance of monster of the week episodes and developing the plot. This was an average main plot but the backstory of the characters is still intriguing enough.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The second episode was just ok and it needs to be better for me to stay with it. It seemed like an average occult series to me. They could make the show much more interesting by grounding Crane more deeply in his time. For instance, even at the time of the Civil War, most abolitionists did not believe blacks were equal to whites. They thought slavery was immoral. It's also unlikely a man from his time would have thought women were his equals either.

They could have a real interesting character arc with Crane coming to grips with his prejudices of his time as they conflict with fact that he's partnered with a very capable black woman. I think they've already skated past that, but it could have been interesting.

Except for the fact that Crane is unfamiliar with the tech and customs of modern day, he seems to be a modern man. Would have been more interesting to really ground him in his time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting a kick out of the establishing shots of the real Sleepy Hollow and the Tappan Zee Bridge... and then cutting to North Carolina streets that look NOTHING like the aerial footage.Right now, I'm sticking around for Tom Mison. He's absolutely fantastic as Ichabod Crane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks