What's new

Sons Of Anarchy: Season Six (1 Viewer)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Without a doubt one of the most brutal 90 minutes of television I've ever watched.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I think what's crazy is that you can remove the school shooting and still say that. Once you get to that scene though, you kinda forget all the horrific stuff that preceded it.

As uncomfortable as it was to watch a school shooting, I'm happy to see that there will be some serious consequences to SAMCRO's gun business.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
WTF was that? You know last season wasn't that good and then they pull that crap, trying to be provocative and controversial hoping to generate shock viewers.

Hits too close to home, I live three miles from Sandy Hook school and my son went to preschool with some of those kids.

I hope they loose a ton of viewers - stupid stunt. And the aftermath scenes were copied directly from the actual events. Low class.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MarkMel said:
WTF was that? You know last season wasn't that good and then they pull that crap, trying to be provocative and controversial hoping to generate shock viewers.

Hits too close to home, I live three miles from Sandy Hook school and my son went to preschool with some of those kids.

I hope they loose a ton of viewers - stupid stunt. And the aftermath scenes were copied directly from the actual events. Low class.
It must be even more horrible for you to see those scenes than it is for the average viewer but I don't think it was done to court controversy. These characters have spent decades selling guns to people so I think it's organic to explore what happens when someone beyond a gang member gets killed by a gun that they've sold. In terms of the story, I'm assuming that it'll get the town to turn on the Sons and the government to try to crack down on them, Nero's gang and the Irish.

EDIT: That being said, I wouldn't blame for you for being too disturbed to continue watching the show.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I see your point but there were a million other ways to explore that point. Supermarket shooting, Highway sniper, I don't know, they're supposed to be creative, it didn't have to go that way to explore the point.

I read some of the comments on the SOA fbook page, a lot of outrage and then a lot of tough guys calling those people retards for expressing the outrage. It's those people I don't want to be associated with, those that can't even understand or fathom why people are outraged.

They're saying people are upset because of the potential of copycats, that the show isn't for kids. No kidding, but it's not that it at all.

People are simply upset because its pouring salt into wounds that will never heal and who gives Sutter the right to do this.

All of sudden now he's going to be the moral compass and show the consequences of the violence that he portrays. After 5 seasons of it? This is his reasoning?

And then you might say, "well you watched it for 5 seasons?" Yes I did, the violence that was portrayed was cartoon violence to me. It was entertainment - base entertainment none the less. This episode was based on real events that happened a very short time ago.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MarkMel said:
I read some of the comments on the SOA fbook page, a lot of outrage and then a lot of tough guys calling those people retards for expressing the outrage. It's those people I don't want to be associated with, those that can't even understand or fathom why people are outraged.
I'm not offended but if a person can't understand why someone would be offended by it, they're just morons who are hiding behind the anonymity of the internet so they can be bigger assholes than normal.

I'm certainly not trying to talk you into continuing to watch the show and I completely understand if you're done with it because of this story but my point is that I don't think they're doing this story just to grab headlines or ratings because I think it's a topic that is too terrible for many people to want to watch (whether they've been directly impacted by a similar situation or not) and it will likely end up put a small dent in their ratings.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I completely understand why some folks would be outraged and MarkMel, my sincere sympathies for your family, friends and community. That said, perhaps the angle here is the show and Sutter are looking for some redeeming value after all these years of glorification of violence. Trying to spark more discussion about gun violence and bullying, etc.

Also, man does it suck to be Otto.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
ChristopherG said:
Also, man does it suck to be Otto.
I know, and it is hard to believe sometimes, that the creator of the show, would put himself in the show like that. Just this episode alone, with the tongue cutting (in the "Previously on" part) and prison rape.
TravisR said:
^ I think what's crazy is that you can remove the school shooting and still say that. Once you get to that scene though, you kinda forget all the horrific stuff that preceded it.
This. I thought Otto, the Iranians (especially with Tig), and Tara's beatdown of an inmate for stealing her blanket would have been enough for me to take in 1 episode. Then comes the school shooting, which I'm glad, they did not actually show on-screen, because that would have been way too much to see.
Still, it was very disturbing nonetheless, and I can understand why it would upset some people.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
I know, and it is hard to believe sometimes, that the creator of the show, would put himself in the show like that. Just this episode alone, with the tongue cutting (in the "Previously on" part) and prison rape.
If I remember correctly, when he decided to play Otto it was a one episode semi-cameo and if he had known it was going to be a recurring role, he'd have given it to an actor. On the plus side, I guess he doesn't need to remember or perform dialogue anymore.

HELLOLARRY

Agent
Real Name
David
I just thought I'd check to see what we get in these 90 minute episodes and there was only a little over 56 minutes of actual programming. I really thought these first two 'extended' episodes could have been trimmed down to one really good single episode. However I'm sure FX is selling a ton of ad time for this show. I don't think the extended times really added any value to the episodes. Like many other episodes of this series, there are a lot of throwaway set pieces, extended 'music videos', and scenes that just seem to run too long. I wondered last year how they expected to choke two more seasons out of this series. It's felt more 'soapy' recently.

Regarding the school shooting that is up for debate and you do have to respect anyone's arguments against it especially if it hits close to home. Could they have delivered that message differently? Absolutely! However this is the path they've taken. I personally am not sure how I feel about it right now, it all depends what they do with it in terms of the storyline.

I find the show enjoyable (if that would be the right word to describe such a show) but in a more campy way than say something like the Shield which IMO never had a drop in quality in its 7 years.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Wow, I knew Tig would eventually pay for making another mess for SAMCRO, but somehow Jax was able to see through his lies. I guess Jax is getting more on edge, as the club continues to be pulled apart in all directions.

And that scene with the US Marshall trying to open that bottle... just brutal to watch.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
So - did anyone watch this week's episode? A return of one of the all time greatest cameos by an actor.....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The last couple of episodes have been pretty crazy (they killed off 4 characters in one episode, blew up the club house and, best of all, they had Robert Patrick). Also, I like that they had to have two crates to bury Phil in.

ChristopherG said:
A return of one of the all time greatest cameos by an actor.....
And they took the character from being an insane joke to making me actually feel bad for them.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
ChristopherG said:
So - did anyone watch this week's episode? A return of one of the all time greatest cameos by an actor.....
That was wonderful. (And glad they saved the name for the end credits.)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Wow, just caught up on all the episodes, and have to say, I can and can't believe it happened (if that makes any sense) in the last episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks