Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
3D Blu-ray Reviews

Star Trek Into Darkness 3D Blu-Ray Review

Blu-ray Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 of 76 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,758 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 12 2013 - 07:16 AM

I'm double dipping. For Gits and Shiggles, I'm picking up the German version anyway...just in case is it IMAX in 2D. If not, I'm sure I can Ebay it for what I'm paying.

Picked up the Target exclusive 2D yesterday. The three Targets close to me all had tons of them. They were selling, but they had tons. One store(Merrillville) had 6 "cardboard stands" sitting all over the store on release day. Yesterday they were down to 2. But the movie section of the store probably still had 40% left. The other two stores I only went to once(mainly shopping all their summer outdoor clearance) and they had 2-3 cardboard stands each and the movie section had plenty.

But yeah, the "Target cover 2D" version they probable had stocked 2-1 over the normal cover on release day(at the one Target). Yesterday the  Target cover was less than 10% of stock.

#42 of 76 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,712 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 11:33 AM

Schan, the Trekcore website is doing a great job at sorting out the extras. The German version has been definitely determined it is not the full IMAX version unfortunately. That's great new your Target stores have lots of copies of the exclusive version. I live in a large metro area and am surprised I had to go to another store to find a copy.

#43 of 76 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 12:50 PM

You better hurry Scott if you want to grab the Target exclusive edition. While I'm not clear if the quantities are limited, or if more inventory will be shipped to Target stores, but the blu rays are selling fast and not so surprisingly, the exclusive version was sold out where I went.This POAR is not suffering from slow sales yet, at least at Target. Even the regular blu ray 3D, 2D copy stock is very low at the two stores I went to.

Nelson, 

You will be pleased to know that based on what Mike Frezon wrote above (post #34), I have just obtained my copy.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this film soon.

Mike,

Thank you again for clarifying the picture for me.  Much appreciated. :)

Edited by Ockeghem, September 12 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#44 of 76 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,510 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted September 12 2013 - 01:52 PM

I have just obtained my copy.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this film soon.

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.  :) 

#45 of 76 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,089 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 12 2013 - 01:59 PM

Nelson, You will be pleased to know that based on what Mike Frezon wrote above (post #34), I have just obtained my copy.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this film soon. Mike, Thank you again for clarifying the picture for me.  Much appreciated. :)

Terrific film. One of the best. Hope you enjoy it. I think you will.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#46 of 76 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,712 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 02:03 PM

Enjoy! Did you see it in the theaters?

#47 of 76 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,712 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 02:04 PM

Good one Gary! :)

#48 of 76 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,100 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 02:47 PM

Wow. Gary out-nerded me. I had to look it up.  :blink:

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#49 of 76 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,884 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 12 2013 - 03:35 PM

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#50 of 76 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 03:51 PM

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.  :) 

Gary,

Well, I am hoping that I cogitate that possibility for only a short time. ;)

Tino,Thanks.  I hope I do as well.

Nelson,

No, I didn't see it in the theater.  This is the first Trek film I have not seen in the theater.  But I had every intention of picking the film up once it was on DVD.

#51 of 76 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,712 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 04:10 PM

Scott, I'll be interested in your impression of the film then!

#52 of 76 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,510 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 07:08 AM

Me too.

#53 of 76 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,712 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 07:28 AM

And I didn't mean to leave out Mike, since he didn't see it in the theater either. It will be interesting to see what Mike thought of it. Are you a big TOS fan Mike? Or Abrams Trek fan?

#54 of 76 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,884 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 13 2013 - 08:06 AM

Not "big."  I'd say casual fan of the TOS and the original crew motion pictures and the first Abrams film.  ("Casual" because I've never dressed in costume for a convention or needed Bill Shatner to tell me to "get a life!"  :biggrin:  )

I missed out on the Next Generation and all the other iterations in the franchise.  I'll be pretty surprised if I don't walk away from this newest film happy.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#55 of 76 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 09:07 AM

Not "big."  I'd say casual fan of the TOS and the original crew motion pictures and the first Abrams film.  ("Casual" because I've never dressed in costume for a convention or needed Bill Shatner to tell me to "get a life!"  :biggrin:  )

I missed out on the Next Generation and all the other iterations in the franchise.  I'll be pretty surprised if I don't walk away from this newest film happy.

Mike,

Wait a minute.  I thought that we were supposed to dress up in a Trek costume when posting on HTF?  No?By the way, I want to thank everyone else in this thread as well for all of the information regarding the various releases of the film.  And those images of the covers that Mike posted were just what I needed to get the edition that I wanted. 

Edited by Ockeghem, September 13 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#56 of 76 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,212 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 17 2013 - 10:00 AM

So I broke down and bought this @ BestBuy and downloaded the 30 mins of extras from CinemaNow, which are not bad. I still think this is poor treatment of the franchise, as the first film got a BD full of extras. I still enjoyed the film, though.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#57 of 76 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,884 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 17 2013 - 10:46 AM

And I didn't mean to leave out Mike, since he didn't see it in the theater either. It will be interesting to see what Mike thought of it. Are you a big TOS fan Mike? Or Abrams Trek fan?

And, no surprise....I was happy.

I really enjoyed it--from start to finish.  I work with a guy who is a TOS fan and who hasn't seen STID either.  I told him, "if you're a fan of TOS, don't go into this thinking you're going to get much new...because its as if the plotline is cribbed from every story they ever told in TOS.  And they even included a lot of references to various TOS stories." 

But that's just what a casual fan like me wants from a film like this.  I go into a film like this hoping that it is TOS...but done with the sensibilities and with the technology of five decades later.  Were there a few "touches" I would have left out--that seemed superfluous or could have been done differently--sureBut as a whole, I'm not going to complain.  It was too much fun and too well done for that.  This is also classic ensemble work with a handful of cast getting the meat of the labors but the supporting cast still being just as important even though they've got so much less to do. 

I swear I think casting Chris Pine as William Shatner's James T. Kirk is one of the smartest parts of this entire reboot.  To me, it's eerie how much he comes off as Shatner's Kirk. 

The visuals and sound were explosive!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: When that ship crash lands at the end...WOW! 

It was a non-stop, kick-ass ride all the way through.  The only thing that disappoints me is that I failed to see it in the theater...because it probably would have been even that more immersive.  And that I wasn't able to get my dad to see it before he passed away this summer.  My dad didn't care much for TV fiction...but he could watch TOS episdoes over and over.  I had given him the DVDs as gifts over the years.  He was a HUGE Star Trek fan and I know he would have loved this treatment every bit as much as I did (probably more). 

#58 of 76 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,712 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 11:46 AM

Interesting review Mike.I am a TOS fan from way back! I watched the blu ray too last weekend. So it's the third time I've seen it. I think on the whole, it's okay. I still have issues, but I understand what the screen writers were up to, with the homage to Wrath of Khan.For me, the cast on the whole is good. But I don't feel Pine quite has the gravitas to play Kirk. But I know I'm measuring him against William Shatner. He seems like a kid and doesn't have weight in his anger at Khan. He plays the emotional aspects very well, from his grief at the death of Pike to his death scene. All well done. And I'll give Abrams points in that both his Star Treks have some very good emotional scenes. And Pegg for me isn't Scotty. He is coming off as too jokey. Scotty was serious if you watch the series. I hope Spock becomes more like Spock in the next film and they explore space.

#59 of 76 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,510 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 07:09 AM

Agreed, Nelson... although I have too many issues with the story, which is nonsensical in many parts, starting with the very beginning of the movie.  Technically, a well done production which I'm sure would sound good in my home theater, but I just can't sit through the story.

#60 of 76 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,390 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted September 18 2013 - 01:27 PM

Disappointing to me, compared to the last one. Watched the BD twice so far. Liked it better the second time. Next time might be the clincher. Some movies are like that for me, assuming I like them enough to watch more than once...but the first ST reboot grabbed me immediately and I'm sure I'll watch it many more times than ID because it's just plain good.

Agree with Nelson: as much as I like Simon Pegg, I really don't like his take on Scotty. Not compared to TOS Scotty, but compared to *any* Scotty at all lol. Comparing to TOS Scotty, Pegg's came across as incompetent and wimpy. I was annoyed. Doesn't happen a lot when watching A/V confection...

Not generally an Abrams fan. Said I wouldn't buy this for that reason, but for $13 I said "last time"...there'll probably be another. He has surprised me before. Maybe these "reboots" will have the odd-number episodes as the good ones for a change...

Edited by CraigF, September 18 2013 - 01:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users