What's new

Another Harmony 650 question (1 Viewer)

jpaskell

Grip
Real Name
james paskell
I have just purchased a Samsung 6400 smart t.v. I am trying to set up my harmony 650 to replace the Samsung "touch pad" remote. When I turn on t.v. it re-sets my denon receiver to direct t.v. from sat/cable. I then have to rest the denon to sat/cable.Anyone have any thoughts?Thanks,Jim

jpaskell

Grip
Real Name
james paskell
Schan1269Thanks so much for the quick response. I'm kind of ignorant on this stuff, but what is CEC? Is this in the anynet system?If so, I'll try to figure out how to disable it.Thanks again,Jim

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, the AnyNet is the CEC*. Denon has the "same thing".Make sure both are off(including any power control...some TVs have that to create an "all off" scenario when it is turned off)*CEC, and industry "non-standard" that makes all your connected components act wonky...when they aren't all the same brand.

jpaskell

Grip
Real Name
james paskell
O.K. turned off the CEC and all sound now comes from the t.v. and nothing from the receiver. It seems to only happen when I turn the system on. It works for about five seconds then goes to "Direct tv" don't even know where the direct tv came from.Thanks again,Jim

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now it seems you have the HDMI in the Denon set to pass off the audio to the TV. Set it the other way, so the audio is processed in the Denon.

jpaskell

Grip
Real Name
james paskell
I am so sorry, but this stuff is way above my head. It Appears that my smart t.v. is smarter then I am. I understood that it was good to use HDMI cables for everything and that those cables also carried the sound.I do apologize but just don't understand what, I'm doing. May be time to go back to rabbit ears.Thanks,Jim

jpaskell

Grip
Real Name
james paskell
Looks like I must take the t.v. sound and put it through the denon.Would that be correct?Jim

jpaskell

Grip
Real Name
james paskell
Thanks again for your patience, I think I'm gaining on it. Use the toslink In lieu of the HDMI and disable CEC on both the t.v. and the denon?If that's it I will certainly give it a try.Thanks again for all your help, I truly appreciate it.Jim

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Apparently the CEC of the Samsung and Denon "aren't on the same page"...and if they aren't...ARC doesn't work anyway. It says that in the manuals of both, in the notes saying "May not work properly."

jpaskell

Grip
Real Name
james paskell
GREAT! Wonder why these guys don't get together and sort out all this stuff.Sounds like it is going to be easier to leave all as is and just turn on the sat/cable on my harmony.I will give it a try though and see how it all works out. The denon AVR1612 is a complicated devil, but it sounds like a challenge.Thank again for all your efforts.Jim

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
CEC is the bane of my existence. I design theatres for a living and people always ask about CEC(usually by mentioning the brand of it by a manufacturer).

In my office I have a Hitachi plasma, Integra AVR and a Sony BD player. All three have CEC.

I'll turn it on and show them all the wonderful heartache it causes.

Like if you are watching a BD and decide to stop watching the movie and switch to Directv...if CEC is on...here is what happens...

Press stop on the Integra remote(cause it is already in BD mode)
Press Cable/Sat
Watch Directv.

You can't "turn off" the BD player cause it will turn the AVR and TV off...which you then have to turn back on.

And, if by chance you left a movie in the BD player and you just want to remove the movie to take it with you...with CEC on...

You press eject on the BD player it turns on with the TV and AVR...
Remove your disc.
Press power on the remote(cause the power button on the front of the BD player won't turn everything back off)

jpaskell

Grip
Real Name
james paskell
WOW, glad I don't have those issues. I have a Samsung BD player and all seems to work O.K. The only issue I have is as explained above. Again, seems like I will just have to use my harmony and turn on the sat/cable when necessary. If it gets anymore complicated, I'm done, but it still looks like a challenge.Thanks again for all the Info and tips. Good luck with your home systems. Perhaps someday all the manufacturers will get together and make your job easier. I don't envy you.All the best,Jim

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It was easy(and it is actually easy) once you train people to forget CEC exists. Pretend it isn't there.

I don't use aftermarket remotes. All of my AVR(4 Onkyo/Integra and 2 Denon...which the Denon are sitting in closets right now) have remotes capable of running the entire theater.

Even my Onkyo NR1008 remote can run "some" of my folders/files in my Lenovo IdeaCentre. I found an app(program, whatever) for Windows 7 that allows "remote over HDMI". Once I open the files(using the keyboard) the middle of the remote directional buttons(same ones used for setup) can open/close and play/stop whatever files are already open. It won't run Netflix/Hulu, but how often are you really messing around once you start a show/movie in Netflix?

So when people have Harmony/URC or Ipad/Android issues...I haven't the slightest clue. Except people typically think CEC* is a help...when it is likely causing all the usability problems.

*Doesn't help when your Best Buy "get you out the door with something" clerk extols the virtues of "it works together cause it has AnyNet..."

jpaskell

Grip
Real Name
james paskell
Schan1269,Back again. Turned off anynet (cec) on both denon avr1612 and samsung smart t.v. All working fine now. Thank you.Another question, I found an HDMI cable (Bluerigger high speed HDMI) that says it will allow audio return. This may be allow sound from from t.v. to receiver.Any thoughts/experience on this?Thanks again,jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks