Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Last of Us

Playstation

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#121 of 125 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,179 posts

Posted January 07 2015 - 03:28 AM

Tino,

Have to cancel.  A bunch of movies just arrived that I need to watch.

Maybe we can reschedule for Sunday.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#122 of 125 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,041 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted January 07 2015 - 03:50 AM

Sure. No problem Ron.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#123 of 125 OFFLINE   Barton Lynch

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts
  • LocationVenezuela

Posted January 15 2015 - 04:22 PM

Wow, my first post in nearly a decade, and I used to come here daily since the early days of the forum.

Well, this game is awesome, better still on the PS4 with the added 60fps effect and resolution.

Barton Lynch
...nothing can stop me now

#124 of 125 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,179 posts

Posted January 15 2015 - 10:33 PM

Barton,

Welcome back.

What turned you away?

I enjoyed THE LAST OF US immensely.  Just finished it two weeks ago.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#125 of 125 OFFLINE   Barton Lynch

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts
  • LocationVenezuela

Posted January 20 2015 - 08:41 AM

Barton,

Welcome back.

What turned you away?

I enjoyed THE LAST OF US immensely.  Just finished it two weeks ago.

I don't know what turned me away Ron, maybe that the world of Audio and HT in general began to bore me as there was nothing new and exciting after the BD format entered the market. All that low quality streaming, cinematography distorting 3D that came afterwards -and other factors- contributed to my growing disappointment.

Also I felt we were a dying breed, the real HT enthusiast that filled this forum with rage since the late 90's. Like we are 'The Last of Us' (pun intended), as more and more people steer away from this fascinating world of fidelity for a more convenient one with wireless bluetooth speakers, soundbars, tablets and mini boomboxes for gadgets, all of which are trying to normalize as the real deal. Don't get me wrong, as an open minded and tech embracing guy I have iPods and iPhones and iPads, but they will never be a true substitute for the real audio and home theater enthusiast who wants the best experience possible.

I also felt betrayed somehow by the failure of SACD and DVD-A, leaving me in a position of distrust towards new technology as the early adopter that I was. I truly believed that was the next step in audio fidelity, not iTunes and iPods. Like when you realized that LaserDisc was dead after supporting it since 1980 and amassing a large collection, only to start over again with DVD (with it's subpar dynamic range in the sound department compared to LD) and then again with BD. It gets tiresome and with each generational transition, and the leaps in improvement are less pronounced proportionally. I used to embrace all that but from the beginning, but after a long while you begin to think in more practical terms. Like my huge skepticism towards impractical and unnecessary new home formats in both audio and video namely 4K and Object Based Surround (ATMOS, DTS-X). But this is content for another subject.

I still kept my gear up to date during all tis time, HDMI, Dolby & DTS HD, PS3/PS4, BD, 1080p, this and that, etc. But only as a mandatory thing to stay current as long as the upgrade was worthy an improvement in perceptive quality (picture, sound) to justify the trouble. Something I felt is not happening with ATMOS, 3D and 4K in home applications, contrary to commercial applications were a feel it's warranted and justified. For instance, the jump to 1080p BD was huge from standard NTSC anamorphic DVD, something I have a hard time trying to find with all the marketing BS surrounding 4K. Sure, we can all noticed with a 80+" screen at the proper distance, but can we fit this in practical terms at home? can you notice the difference with the average 46" screen? My experiences tell me a different story. No wow factor, just food for the spec hunters and the short crowd than can fit such a large screen in their theaters. I'd rather take the same sufficient 1080p but with better display technology, like OLED and better color profile in the codec (like 4:4:4 24bit with a high dynamic range contrast), I'll take that every day instead of more pixels.

But hey! I'm still in and to prove it last year I added the Ps4 (I'm a heavy gamer), replaced my main speakers after 18 years, finally tried adding front effects channels to my Yamaha receiver to test the presence DSP and came out pleased, and started buying more music that ever in the last 5 years. I'm digging BD-Audio editions to get back to were I was before SACD & DVD-A died on me: HD Audio in surround with BDs.

I love HT, I love Audio, I love movies, music and video games as an artistic expression, I think we all agree that The Last of Us is a testament in this matter. Thank you for caring and keeping this forum alive Ron. I'll try to come by more often to enjoy serious debates, healthy discussions and of course, taking a tip or two from other experienced enthusiasts alike, here is where I learned most of what I know today and I'm grateful. Sorry for the long post, I got carried away, but I felt I needed to say something about it.

Cheers!

Barton Lynch
...nothing can stop me now

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playstation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users