What's new

Winter Storms in Western US (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The winter storms currently hitting the Western US (California, Nevada, Colorado) have been devastating. Both UPS and Fed Ex have ground to a halt due to the closure of the main highway, I-80, between Sacramento and Reno. This has also affected other transports of food, medications, etc. to the Reno area.

I had switched all my medications to Amazon Pharmacy last month with the introduction of their RxPass program. Nearly all of my generic meds were on that program, which gets me those meds for "free" after paying a monthly fee of $5, and the remaining ones were much cheaper than my local pharmacy, even when using one of several discount cards like GoodRx. Amazon shipped my last order of prescriptions via UPS Next Day Air last Friday, but for some unknown reason, the shipment's route was Phoenix, AZ to Oakland, CA to Sacramento, CA when my previous order, also Next Day Air, was shipped directly from Phoenix to Reno, then to me the next day.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, these winter storms have been rolling in one after another. We've been impacted here in Arizona as well, but haven't had to deal with the extremes that some of the other western states have. The good news (in California)? The Sierra snowpack is way above the APRIL 1ST average in all three zones as of today. Even though it's not going to push us out of the drought, that's a lot of badly needed water. Here in Phoenix, we've had one of the best winter rainy seasons in a LONG time, and the desert is as green as can be. It should be a banner year for wildflowers all over the West.

1677614625745.png

Last edited:

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Since you brought up the storm thought I'd share my experience with it so far. I'm currently snowed in in my cabin in the Sierras in Northern Cal. We are in Pollock Pines (between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe) along Hwy 50. Currently blizzard whiteout conditions. This, we expected.

But when we got here Sunday night (from San Diego) we found the furnace out of commission. Upon arrival (10pm) the house was 38F inside. Got it warmed up with our Viking cooking stove. We are maintaining a toasty 70F inside with the fireplace and several plug-in space heaters. The repairman will be here to fix the furnace whenever the storm breaks and he can get up here; probably Wed (tomorrow).

From San Diego we normally take I5 through the Tejon Pass (aka the Grapevine) but due to the storm the pass was closed so we had to take a detour out to Mojave on Hwy 14 then cut left (north) to the 58 and over Tehachapi pass adding a couple hours to the normally 8 hour drive.

There's an area along Hwy 58 (very pretty drive) where a rail-line runs in the mountain side through a number of rustic tunnels. A train apparently derailed there between tunnels a couple days earlier (soaked ground gave way) and the train cars were littered down a steep ~100ft embankment. Not something you see every day.

Storm is supposed to lighten up tomorrow so hopefully I can clear the driveway with the snow blower and the guy can get here to fix the furnace - and we can enjoy the rest of our time in the mountains. Although its already been a fun adventure.

Here a short clip I shot through a bedroom window:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's funny. My wife and I are flying from Boston to San Fran on Sunday, and then catching a flight from there to Santa Barbara, where my wife will be conferencing with a client for a few days. Then we'll be flying back up to San Fran to visit with my sister for a few days.

Anyway, on Sunday it's (allegedly) going to be clear and relatively warm (40°F or so) in Boston, so we think our flight might get out on time. But we're not sure what's going to greet us on the other coast. Seems like it's the opposite of what one might expect this time of year. We both have added SF and SB to the weather app on our phones to keep track of what's happening out there.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Since you brought up the storm thought I'd share my experience with it so far. I'm currently snowed in in my cabin in the Sierras in Northern Cal. We are in Pollock Pines (between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe) along Hwy 50. Currently blizzard whiteout conditions. This, we expected.

But when we got here Sunday night (from San Diego) we found the furnace out of commission. Upon arrival (10pm) the house was 38F inside. Got it warmed up with our Viking cooking stove. We are maintaining a toasty 70F inside with the fireplace and several plug-in space heaters. The repairman will be here to fix the furnace whenever the storm breaks and he can get up here; probably Wed (tomorrow).

From San Diego we normally take I5 through the Tejon Pass (aka the Grapevine) but due to the storm the pass was closed so we had to take a detour out to Mojave on Hwy 14 then cut left (north) to the 58 and over Tehachapi pass adding a couple hours to the normally 8 hour drive.

There's an area along Hwy 58 (very pretty drive) where a rail-line runs in the mountain side through a number of rustic tunnels. A train apparently derailed there between tunnels a couple days earlier (soaked ground gave way) and the train cars were littered down a steep ~100ft embankment. Not something you see every day.

Storm is supposed to lighten up tomorrow so hopefully I can clear the driveway with the snow blower and the guy can get here to fix the furnace - and we can enjoy the rest of our time in the mountains. Although its already been a fun adventure.

View attachment 177791
Last Tuesday's storm was bad, and we got caught in it coming back from taking my wife to Physical Therapy in Yerington, which is normally just over an hour's drive. It began snowing just as we were pulling out of the PT office at 5pm, but soon became very difficult to drive, with about 25 feet of visibility. The highway (US 95 Alt) is one lane in each direction, but soon you could not see the double line running down the center. We passed the point of no return, and made the unfortunately bad decision to continue rather than turn around and either catch some dinner back in town or getting a motel room. Nearly 90 minutes later, we pulled into the gas station in Shurz to put chains on the vehicle (something we should have done before leaving Yerington). We continued on, only to be stopped just a few miles out for nearly 30 minutes while NHP tried to clear a truck that had gone over the side of the road. The snow soon stopped as we were waiting, and as we arrived on the outskirts of Walker Lake, the road cleared but then had to find a place to pull over to safely remove the chains. It took us 3.5 hours to drive what would normally take us just over an hour. The next morning, I inspected my car in the sunlight, and found that apparently the chain attached to the passenger side wheel had come loose during out travel and scratched up the outside of the wheel well pretty bad. Touch up spray paint, along with primer and liner clips are on order, but likely won't arrive anytime soon, along with the replacement chains I had to order, all either stuck in Sacramento or being held by the seller until shipping times return to normal.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

View attachment 177791
What a contrast to me. I’m working in Baton Rouge this week. Sunny and 85°.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It's funny. My wife and I are flying from Boston to San Fran on Sunday, and then catching a flight from there to Santa Barbara, where my wife will be conferencing with a client for a few days. Then we'll be flying back up to San Fran to visit with my sister for a few days.

Anyway, on Sunday it's (allegedly) going to be clear and relatively warm (40°F or so) in Boston, so we think our flight might get out on time. But we're not sure what's going to greet us on the other coast. Seems like it's the opposite of what one might expect this time of year. We both have added SF and SB to the weather app on our phones to keep track of what's happening out there.
I like how 40° is relatively warm for Boston.

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I like how 40° is relatively warm for Boston.

We were in Boston in early December and it was about 45F. Really a pleasant surprise.

My daughter attended college in Boston and graduated in '21 but the school canceled the graduation ceremony due to COVID so they had a makeup ceremony for the class of '20 & 21' in December 2022. Very nice ceremony and much appreciated.

While my daughter was attending college in Boston we flew out there (from SD) numerous times and really came to like the town.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
This has actually been a very mild and warm winter for most of the south. The last two years, we received substantial snowfall, year before last getting a foot and a half of snow over a 2 week period in central Arkansas. This year, I think it might have snowed for a few minutes one night and was gone in a few hours.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
What a contrast to me. I’m working in Baton Rouge this week. Sunny and 85°.
Seems to be always warm/hot In Louisiana. In the Summer, you melt like the bad guy in Robocop that drove the van into a toxic waste container. 😁

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don’t like hot anymore, especially with advancing age. I’d rather it be on the cool side.
Same here. We stay away from our place in South Carolina during the summer. Too hot and too crowded. Summers are more pleasant here in Michigan.

We've had a strange winter this year in southeastern Michigan. So far, we've had only one snow storm where I had to use the snow blower, which has never happened in my lifetime. There have been lots of 40+ degree days. Last week we had one of the worst ice storms in the area's history, and the next day it was 45 degrees. It was almost 50 yesterday, yet tomorrow the prediction is for up to 4 inches of snow.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Same here. We stay away from our place in South Carolina during the summer. Too hot and too crowded. Summers are more pleasant here in Michigan.

We've had a strange winter this year in southeastern Michigan. So far, we've had only one snow storm where I had to use the snow blower, which has never happened in my lifetime. There have been lots of 40+ degree days. Last week we had one of the worst ice storms in the area's history, and the next day it was 45 degrees. It was almost 50 yesterday, yet tomorrow the prediction is for up to 4 inches of snow.
I ran a load to Stevensville MI a few weeks ago. I was amazed that there was only patches of snow that covered grass, so close to the lake. I used to work for an outfit in Grand Rapids, and I know from experience that area gets several feet of snow in an average Winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks