What's new

New TV for 2013 (1 Viewer)

shaxmatist

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris McDade
My aging DLP LG television is experiencing startup problems, so it may be time to purchase a new tv. I am interested in hearing any and all opinions on what might be a good choice. The available choices may be somewhat narrow with the following parameters: 1) 50+ inch screen. 2) 3D capability 3) under $1,500

3D content is still relatively sparse, but perhaps it will flourish. A combination "smartTV with 3D" seems to exceed my price range.

Essentially, what would you buy and why? LCD, LED, Plasma, etc. I definitely prefer to stay away from DLP. Lamp replacement and brightness issues are the main reason.

Thank you for sharing your expertise!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DLP is dead. Mits quit making TVs altogether.LED is the backlight for LCD. So there is no LCD or LED.In plasma you have LG, Panny and Samsung. Samsung has the best 3D, Panasonic has the best overall picture.All three have 50" 3D sets under $1500.An LCD set comparable to a plasma is $2500+.

PaulGo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
My son just purchased the Toshiba 3D SmartTv. It has a great picture and very good 3D. It comes with two sets of active 3D glasses. He bought the 65" version which replaced his Mits DLP TV.
From the Toshiba web site. 58L7350U - 58" class 1080P 3D Cloud LED TV
[*]List Price:
[*]$2,199.99
[*]Instant Savings:
[*]-$700.00
[/list]
Total Price:
$1,499.99

MayM

Auditioning
Real Name
May Mary Peterson
Great info here. Thanks schan and paul. I've been looking into replacing my old (absolutely obsolete) tv and I was looking at various Smart TVs. I heard from a friend that Samsung is by far the best. I will also be looking into the other brands that you've mentioned here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks