Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New TV for 2013

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   shaxmatist

shaxmatist

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 05:14 PM

My aging DLP LG television is experiencing startup problems, so it may be time to purchase a new tv. I am interested in hearing any and all opinions on what might be a good choice. The available choices may be somewhat narrow with the following parameters: 1) 50+ inch screen. 2) 3D capability 3) under $1,500

3D content is still relatively sparse, but perhaps it will flourish. A combination "smartTV with 3D" seems to exceed my price range.

Essentially, what would you buy and why? LCD, LED, Plasma, etc. I definitely prefer to stay away from DLP. Lamp replacement and brightness issues are the main reason.

Thank you for sharing your expertise!

Prof/lecturer at a university in Korea.

#2 of 4 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,672 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted June 05 2013 - 06:06 PM

DLP is dead. Mits quit making TVs altogether.LED is the backlight for LCD. So there is no LCD or LED.In plasma you have LG, Panny and Samsung. Samsung has the best 3D, Panasonic has the best overall picture.All three have 50" 3D sets under $1500.An LCD set comparable to a plasma is $2500+.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   PaulGo

PaulGo

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted June 06 2013 - 11:20 AM

My son just purchased the Toshiba 3D SmartTv.  It has a great picture and very good 3D.  It comes with two sets of active 3D glasses.  He bought the 65" version which replaced his Mits DLP TV. 

From the Toshiba web site. 58L7350U - 58" class 1080P 3D Cloud LED TV

[*]List Price:
    [*]$2,199.99
    [*]Instant Savings:
    [*]-$700.00
    [/list]

Total Price:

$1,499.99

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   MayM

MayM

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 11:07 PM

Great info here. Thanks schan and paul. I've been looking into replacing my old (absolutely obsolete) tv and I was looking at various Smart TVs. I heard from a friend that Samsung is by far the best. I will also be looking into the other brands that you've mentioned here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users