What's new

WHV Press Release: Charlie Chan Collection (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“Puzzle always deepest near the center.”
--Charlie Chan
CHARLIE CHAN COLLECTION
Shadows over Chinatown ∙ Docks of New Orleans ∙
Shanghai Chest ∙ The Golden Eye
Four Films Newly Remastered
Starring Sidney Toler and Roland Winters
Debut as a Collection on DVD AUGUST 6

Burbank, Calif., May 13, 2013 – On August 6, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment brings back the legendary master of crime in the Charlie Chan Collection -- four beloved films making their DVD debut, and now available for the first time, newly remastered, as a single collection. Included are Shadows Over Chinatown, starring Sidney Toler in one of his last Chan films, plus Docks of New Orleans, Shanghai Chest, and The Golden Eye starring Roland Winters, the last actor to play the detective on film. The 4-disc set will sell for $39.92 SRP. Order due date is July 2.
Writer Earl Derr Biggers created Charlie Chan, a fictional Chinese-American sleuth, in a series of printed tales beginning in 1923. As early as 1926, the first of more than 48 Charlie Chan films was put on the silver screen. Actor Warner Oland, born in Sweden, began a popular run for Fox in 1931 in Charlie Chan Carries On. After its success, Fox would produce 15 more Chan films starring Oland. Not surprisingly, the films became the most popular in 1930s China.
After Oland died, Sidney Toler, an American actor with Scottish roots, took on the Chan role. Toler starred in 22 Chan films, first for Fox and later for Monogram Studios. After Toler's death, Roland Winters became Chan in six more films. The character has also been featured frequently on radio, television and in the comics.

ABOUT THE FILMS
Shadows Over Chinatown
Charlie Chan heads to San Francisco on a murder case when he encounters a mother trying to find her daughter who’s gone missing. Chan also meets a young man, searching for his missing girlfriend. Charlie determines they’re both looking for the same person and soon uncovers a murder gang, which has been illegally benefiting from life insurance of the dead.
Docks of New Orleans
Charlie is asked to investigate after the mysterious demise of a New Orleans chemical company magnate, because even though the police believe the death was caused by a heart attack, a series of unexplainable deaths follow. Only Charlie Chan can solve the mystery!
Shanghai Chest
Three people are murdered in San Francisco – a judge, District Attorney and a juror. The fingerprints of a deceased man are found at all three murder sites, but could it really be possible for a dead man to be a serial killer? Again, leave it to Charlie Chan..!
The Golden Eye
An Arizona gold mine is suddenly making a ton of money. The mine’s owner, instead of delighting in his newfound wealth, confides to Charlie that something is wrong and he fears for his life. Charlie and “friends” go to the mine, pretending to be just visitors. They soon discover that the mine is being used as a cover up for some major crimes and that, indeed, somebody will soon be murdered.

CHARLIE CHAN COLLECTION
Street Date: August 6, 2013
Order Date: July 2, 2013
Catalog #/UPC: 1000373065/ 883929309641
$39.92 SRP (4-disc set)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, despite the films not being so great, I want to complete my Chan collection, so I will be getting these without question.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Hey, WHV actually came through with these! GeorgeFeltenstein promised these would be given a retail release at least 3 years ago. The delay undoubtedly was due to these titles needing photochemical restoration, as those interviews stated

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
now if we can just get the earliest Oland Chan films unreleased out there ...

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I wish they would do this ("phototechnical restoration") with The Bowery Boys films!

Is this to be part of the Warner Brother Archives Collection MOD (Made on Demand) series or nationally marketed on standard DVDs? I wonder just what criteria is considered to determine this.

I have lost track on just how many Monogram Pictures' Charlie Chan feature films have now been made available in quality DVD releases but every little bit certainly helps.

I second the motion if only the pre-1935 Warner Oland Charlie Chan films could be found, fully restored and digitally remastered and made available on standard DVD (or Blu-ray).

Jeff T.

:D

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This is going to be regular retail, not Warner Archive or MOD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
David Weicker said:
I was under the impression that all the Oland Chans (that still exist) are released.
You are correct all the films that are known to exist we're released by Fox. There are four lost Oland films including the first. If my math works this will leave is with only four of the Monogram Chans not on DVD. Nice.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I keep my own listing of Chan films and after this release I think only 3 Mongrams remain: Red Dragon, Feathered Serpent, & Sky Dragon.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
John Stell said:
I keep my own listing of Chan films and after this release I think only 3 Mongrams remain: Red Dragon, Feathered Serpent, & Sky Dragon.
Yes, those are the last three left to release.

While the last two are undoubtedly WB owed titles, is The Red Dragon now owned by WB or MGM? If it is the latter it probably won't be released in the foreseeable future given that it was curiously omitted from the MGM Monogram "Chanthology" DVD set.

Edit: Looks like WB owns The Red Dragon. Goodie! Looks like they're holding out the last Sydney Toler Chan film for a volume 2.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Thanks gang for the informative responses!It seems incredible that Fox wouldn't have all of their Warner Oland Charlie Chan films for goodness sake. They must be somewhere. Look at Universal Pictures they have all of their early 1930s horror films. Anyhow at least THE BLACK CAMEL (1931) with Bela Lugosi and CHARLIE CHAN IN PARIS (1935) both thought to be long lost were found.The most wanted Warner Oland Chan missing list:CHARLIE CHAN CARRIES ON (1931)CHARLIE CHAN'S CHANCE (1932)CHARLIE CHAN'S GREATEST CASE (1933)CHARLIE CHAN'S COURAGE (1934)Jeff T.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JeffT. said:
Thanks gang for the informative responses!It seems incredible that Fox wouldn't have all of their Warner Ohland Charlie Chan films for goodness sake. They must be somewhere. Look at Universal Pictures they have all of their early 1930s horror films. Anyhow at least THE BLACK CAMEL (1931) with Bela Lugosi and CHARLIE CHAN IN PARIS (1935) both thought to be lost were found.The most wanted Warner Ohland Chan missing list:CHARLIE CHAN CARRIES ON (1931)CHARLIE CHAN'S CHANCE (1932)CHARLIE CHAN'S GREATEST CASE (1933)CHARLIE CHAN'S COURAGE (1934)Jeff T.
Fox had a major fire in its New Jersey warehouse around 1937 or 1938 that destroyed a large part of its prior holdings. I think that might be origin of the Chan problems, and why some of these titles were remade.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
John Stell said:
Yes you are correct. I was mistaken.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Never thought we'd see more of the Chan films after that last TCM set. Cool news!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
JeffT. said:
Thanks gang for the informative responses!It seems incredible that Fox wouldn't have all of their Warner Oland Charlie Chan films for goodness sake. They must be somewhere. Look at Universal Pictures they have all of their early 1930s horror films. Anyhow at least THE BLACK CAMEL (1931) with Bela Lugosi and CHARLIE CHAN IN PARIS (1935) both thought to be long lost were found.The most wanted Warner Oland Chan missing list:CHARLIE CHAN CARRIES ON (1931)CHARLIE CHAN'S CHANCE (1932)CHARLIE CHAN'S GREATEST CASE (1933)CHARLIE CHAN'S COURAGE (1934)Jeff T.

Those were the early Chan films I was referring to ....

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood

Above is a link to the nitrate film fire from 1937 that destroyed the bulk of Fox' camera negatives and backup film elements for most of their productions made up to that time. This is indeed why those early Chan features are lost, as well as why many of the Fox silents are gone. It was only because studio prints were stored elsewhere that any of the other pre-1937 titles survive.

It was a devastating fire and some of the people who lived next door to this facility were killed.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Now we may never get to see Charlie Chan's greatest case and it was probably a good one too.It figures! An errant copy of the missing quartet may yet still be somewhere waiting to be discovered.Just to keep this discussion thread thriving and establishing it well into the "hot" category just which of the "lost" Warner Oland Charlie Chan films were remade and what are the specific titles of these remakes (presumably with Sidney Toler)?I don't mind Sidney Toler at all. It takes him a while to establish himself in his illustrious predecessor's role but once he does Mr. Toler is quite good indeed.I wonder how Warner Brothers Home Entertainment intends to package the remaining three Monogram Pictures produced Charlie Chan films. It should be an even four!Jeff T.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Eastmancolor said:

Above is a link to the nitrate film fire from 1937 that destroyed the bulk of Fox' camera negatives and backup film elements for most of their productions made up to that time. This is indeed why those early Chan features are lost, as well as why many of the Fox silents are gone. It was only because studio prints were stored elsewhere that any of the other pre-1937 titles survive.

It was a devastating fire and some of the people who lived next door to this facility were killed.

A tragedy, indeed. I wasn't aware of people dying. Thanks for the information/video.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Charlie Chan TCM Spotlight Collection Vol 2, man i have been waiting a while on this announcement. Definitely pre order as soon as it goes up.

I wish that this was also being offered, after all the work in blu,ray as well.

The FOX vote your choice, I used this to write in as many of the Chan’s as possible as choices that I would like to see get the blu ray treatment.

Hopefuly this will do good numbers and we can get the last three films within the next year or so. :D

and as for coverart, think that Roland Winters wont be featured on the front, till the last volume is released :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks