What's new

WHV Press Release: Charlie Chan Collection (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think those are a bunch of straw man arguments that don’t really have anything to do with why the Chan films haven’t gotten more lavish releases.

Generally speaking, studios spent mini fortunes on DVD releases like the Fox Chan sets only to discover, after all the work had been done and money spent, that the market for people purchasing classic movies and television on disc was not as robust as they believed.

Even more generally speaking, very few pieces of art and entertainment endure beyond the period they were made in. As any piece of art becomes less culturally relevant, it fades away in the public consciousness. There are always a handful of things that survive and remain ever popular out of their times, whether it’s a Mozart symphony or It’s A Wonderful Life. For every Shakespeare, there are thousands upon thousands of plays that were once popular but are no longer staged. But the majority of the public is most interested in and always has been most interested in what’s contemporary to them. And I truly believe that always has been and always will be the greater force in explaining why once popular things no longer are.

You could run Charlie Chan 24/7 on Fox, TCM and Disney+, and none of that will have any bearing on the fact that a 2019 audience is more interested in 2019 content.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I think those are a bunch of straw man arguments that don’t really have anything to do with why the Chan films haven’t gotten more lavish releases.

Generally speaking, studios spent mini fortunes on DVD releases like the Fox Chan sets only to discover, after all the work had been done and money spent, that the market for people purchasing classic movies and television on disc was not as robust as they believed.

Even more generally speaking, very few pieces of art and entertainment endure beyond the period they were made in. As any piece of art becomes less culturally relevant, it fades away in the public consciousness. There are always a handful of things that survive and remain ever popular out of their times, whether it’s a Mozart symphony or It’s A Wonderful Life. For every Shakespeare, there are thousands upon thousands of plays that were once popular but are no longer staged. But the majority of the public is most interested in and always has been most interested in what’s contemporary to them. And I truly believe that always has been and always will be the greater force in explaining why once popular things no longer are.

You could run Charlie Chan 24/7 on Fox, TCM and Disney+, and none of that will have any bearing on the fact that a 2019 audience is more interested in 2019 content.

EDITED to remove a hasty, reactionary response that probably was destined to provoke and just perpetuate a silly debate that wouldn’t have resolved anything anyway. Suffice to say that one thing we all agree on is that the CHARLIE CHAN films are marvelous entertainment and would be fantastic on Blu.

On another note from another thread, Josh, I do hope you are enjoying OZZIE & HARRIET shows as they are some of my favorites.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am quite happy to respectfully agree to disagree and am happy to let our previous statements be the final word, no need for me to sneak anything else in. Time may prove me wrong, who knows.

The O&H is working out quite nicely for me, thanks!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I am quite happy to respectfully agree to disagree and am happy to let our previous statements be the final word, no need for me to sneak anything else in. Time may prove me wrong, who knows.

The O&H is working out quite nicely for me, thanks!

Josh thanks for your post. I actually was just coming in here to delete my last post, which was made in haste and too reactionary for my tastes. Neither of us need to engage in a message board feud, that’s for sure. I’m glad we could disagree amicably and hope my exaggerated rhetoric didn’t hurt your feelings.

I hope you continue enjoying O&H and I look forward to reading your reflections on it in the thread on the TV forum. I dearly hope I didn’t oversell the series with all my praise.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The ONLY hope now is if Shout Factory which made a last minute deal with Fox before Disney took over (The Fly set, The Omen set, etc) was able to license the Chan and Moto films as well. Shout has been releasing older films so one can ponder the possibility.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

I guess if they like a lot of the junk that permeates the airwaves now.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I contacted the Warner Archive Collection via email and they are indeed still selling pressed disc copies of the Charlie Chan 3-Film Collection so i placed my order for it via the WB Shop yesterday. Can't wait to have a complete Chan collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks