What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I know broadcast rights are different then video rights but wouldn't
a 91 year old film be out of copyright by now?

TCM aired

DAUGHTER OF THE DRAGON​

I’m no expert but my understanding is that copyright in films lasts 70 years after the death of the director, writer and composer. Lloyd Corrigan, director and writer of Daughter of the Dragon died in 1969 so presumably copyright in the film lasts until 2039.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I’m no expert but my understanding is that copyright in films lasts 70 years after the death of the director, writer and composer. Lloyd Corrigan, director and writer of Daughter of the Dragon died in 1969 so presumably copyright in the film lasts until 2039.
I would think after the death of the author of the screenplay or book or story based on not the director he did not create the story etc

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Either way, Copyright has no relevance to putting out a quality Blu-Ray. The studio still (generally) has the best elements and needs to be negotiated with

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Either way, Copyright has no relevance to putting out a quality Blu-Ray. The studio still (generally) has the best elements and needs to be negotiated with
understood --- wonder if uni knows when the fim is legally out of hot water

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I know broadcast rights are different then video rights but wouldn't
a 91 year old film be out of copyright by now?

TCM aired

DAUGHTER OF THE DRAGON​

Nope. Copyrights are 95 years. Assuming no extensions, it'll be P.D. in 2026.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Wild Speculation Department:
Any chance Kino may be holding onto DAUGHTER OF THE DRAGON to issue an Anna May Wong Paramount collection. DAUGHTER OF SHANGHAI, LIMEHOUSE BLUES, DANGEROUS TO KNOW, KING OF CHINATOWN and ISLAND OF LOST MEN are all Paramount features controlled by Universal.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe you may be conflating European copyright laws with U.S.

Here, in the Colonies, it’s now 95 years from date of original copyright, presuming that films produced before a certain date (1976?) were properly renewed for their second original term.

This past January 1, every domestic film released in 1926 went into the public domain.

Next year is huge, and one can only hope that copyright holders will continue to preserve their finest elements, or donate them for preservation if they’ve not already done so.

January 1, 2025, Steamboat Willie hits PD unless there are further modifications to the laws. As I understand things, this means that Mickey Mouse - in his 1928 persona only - can then be emblazoned on everything.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I believe you may be conflating European copyright laws with U.S.

Here, in the Colonies, it’s now 95 years from date of original copyright, presuming that films produced before a certain date (1976?) were properly renewed for their second original term.

This past January 1, every domestic film released in 1926 went into the public domain.

Next year is huge, and one can only hope that copyright holders will continue to preserve their finest elements, or donate them for preservation if they’ve not already done so.

January 1, 2025, Steamboat Willie hits PD unless there are further modifications to the laws. As I understand things, this means that Mickey Mouse - in his 1928 persona only - can then be emblazoned on everything.
WOW watch Disney get the law changed again -- although Mickey looks way different now

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
WOW watch Disney get the law changed again -- although Mickey looks way different now
I’m all for the law being changed, as studios will now be losing assets with synchronized sound, which have far more perceived value than silent films.

If not a new, longer form of protection, at least newly produced, restored elements should receive protection. If not, what would push studios to spend major amounts on restoring assets that have fallen into the PD?

As a recent example, WB returned to original Technicolor negatives and restored the original 1937 A Star is Born. There should be some means of them easily protecting their investment, even if old prints are accessible to the public for reproduction and dissemination.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I’m all for the law being changed, as studios will now be losing assets with synchronized sound, which have far more perceived value than silent films.

If not a new, longer form of protection, at least newly produced, restored elements should receive protection. If not, what would push studios to spend major amounts on restoring assets that have fallen into the PD?

As a recent example, WB returned to original Technicolor negatives and restored the original 1937 A Star is Born. There should be some means of them easily protecting their investment, even if old prints are accessible to the public for reproduction and dissemination.
Understand your point BUT at least Warners believes is putting their assets out there for us to enjoy - about time Disney gets slapped down a bit not a fan of their censorship, editing, changing scenes Warners does it right putting a disclaimer out there. Didn't Turner and then Warners easly get around that by copyrighting the restored and updated releases with the copyright dates example the back of ASIB would say Copyright 2022 Warner Home Video

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Understand your point BUT at least Warners believes is putting their assets out there for us to enjoy - about time Disney gets slapped down a bit not a fan of their censorship, editing, changing scenes Warners does it right putting a disclaimer out there. Didn't Turner and then Warners easly get around that by copyrighting the restored and updated releases with the copyright dates example the back of ASIB would say Copyright 2022 Warner Home Video
Restorations are not a copyrightable entity.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I never understand this obsession with Copyright and hoping for PD status

That won’t bring better versions of a work. It will just allow shittier versions to flourish
I do not think copyrights should be extended any longer the House Of Mouse loses their copyrights shame on them they stopped putting product out NO real classics and what they put out is censored edited ruined - they ruined Walt's work Yet Studios like Warners and the rest still deserve praise for giving us product --- and wasn't copy protection on discs added to protect their product? That said THANK You Universal and KINO for this great two film set!!!! And RAH is right as always in protecting assets but Disney is too far gone!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Restorations are not a copyrightable entity.
RAH Sir --- posted this in another thread do u remember Columbia's films being stored under a bowling alley in Inwood NY - I actually applied for a job posting way back when

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RAH Sir --- posted this in another thread do u remember Columbia's films being stored under a bowling alley in Inwood NY - I actually applied for a job posting way back when
No. The location was previously a bowling alley. Poor temp/humidity control. Problematic inventory control, but things could be found.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I do not think copyrights should be extended any longer the House Of Mouse loses their copyrights shame on them they stopped putting product out NO real classics and what they put out is censored edited ruined - they ruined Walt's work Yet Studios like Warners and the rest still deserve praise for giving us product --- and wasn't copy protection on discs added to protect their product? That said THANK You Universal and KINO for this great two film set!!!! And RAH is right as always in protecting assets but Disney is too far gone!
Please don’t place studios that live up to their responsibilities with those that may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks