WHV Press Release: Charlie Chan Collection

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Official packaging revealed

[​IMG]

Surprisingly the cover art isn't favoring Sydney Toler

dana martin and WadeM like this.
  2. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

Confucius says, "Happiness is new set of Charlie Chan DVDs on sale August 06th (2013) at your local video retailer and online video retail outlet."

I suppose the graphic is a generic representation of the great detective. It's too bad a good more meaningful portrait of Sidney Toler (or Roland Winters) couldn't have been attempted again.

Jeff T.

:D

3. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

Thanks!

4. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin

5. ponset

ponset Stunt Coordinator

scott
    Like the cover art.

Since the running times on these movies are under 75 minutes with no special features,
    I wish they would have put two movies on a disc.
    Save some shelf space.
    I have got my pre order in.

6. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    The last set made it down to $9.99 at Costco this past Black Friday, a much more manageable price given these short film, bare bones releases.

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Having received this set last Friday, I made time to watch all 4 films over this weekend. I couldn't be happier with what WHV has given us. They obviously spent a lot of time and money restoring these films because they look very, very good. Having only seen dupey 16mm transfers previously the difference is literally night and day. These prints are very detailed and clear with virtually no defects (only very minor and rare white speckles occur). The original titles appear to be used (not always the case with budget studio prints which were occasionally replaced with tv distributor logos). If anyone from WHV is reading this: my sincerest thank you and I appreciate the efforts that were made to bring these to market especially given that finding decent elements was very challenging.

The films themselves are, in my opinion, among the better Monograms. Roland Winters is often maligned and with some justification for his portrayal but the films are actually decent mysteries with very good supporting casts. Mantan Moreland is used to good effect in all these films and Tim Ryan as a late series addition as a cop sidekick is effective as well. For those not aware, he was once married to Irene Ryan for many years (but they were divorced by the time these films were made). Finally it was to Monogram's credit that they brought back Sen Yung; none of the other actors they used to play offspring ever resonated with me.

Now just three films remain. The entertaining Red Dragon (Toler) which has one of the best plots of any of the Mongrams and the last two Winters films in which Keye Luke returns. Hopefully sales of this set warrant such a release.

8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Thanks for the report. I hadn't yet ordered my set, but your enthusiasm will make me do that today.

9. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    I agree with that post too, I have taken 3 of the 4 films in, The PQ is excellent, the movies are very good. Roland Winters makes a better Chan (IMO) than Sidney Toler. Winters reminds me a lot of Warner Oland.
    The box set is awesome. Unlike the previous set this one looks like the ones Fox did - 4 movies, 4 DVD cases , housed in that study box. If you are aligning them all next to each other. the first TCM Chan Collection doesnt line up too well since its a slim box. Not a big deal but I was hoping for some consistency :)
    I have all the Chan sets

Steve...O likes this.
  10. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I concur that these films look spectacular. I can not wait for the final 3.

11. dana martin

Dana Martin
    set should be in my hands by Thursday, hopeful that WB will announce the final 3 in the next few months, and not as WAC

12. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I just placed my order. I hope this set does well enough to encourage Warner to release the remaining three titles.

ahollis likes this.
  13. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

I received my copy. Hope to watch them soon

14. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Mine should be here by the weekend. I doubt I'll have any time to watch any of them (Shane is definitely first in the queue), but they'll get watched eventually.

15. dana martin

Dana Martin
    finished this up, the work done is amazing, cant wait for that next set

ahollis likes this.
  16. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Tim found steady work on both sides of the Camera at Monogram for years.including writing credit on several of the BOWERY BOYS films.

17. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

This was such a vigorously enthusiastic discussion thread in anxious anticipation of the latest Charlie Chan DVD release.

I was (finally) able to get mine at a very ripe price substantially marked down from the initial exorbitant retail listed price when it was released in my country.

So now there are three Monogram Pictures titles still outstanding to complete the latter Monogram B-film series with Sidney Toler and Roland Winters that includes THE RED DRAGON (1945), THE FEATHERED SERPENT (1948) and THE SKY DRAGON (1949).

Now if only the "missing" 20th Century-Fox Warner Oland films could also be found (and in our lifetime): CHARLIE CHAN CARRIES ON (1931), CHARLIE CHAN'S CHANCE (1932), CHARLIE CHAN'S GREATEST CASE (1933) and CHARLIE CHAN'S COURAGE (1934). There has to be surviving prints somewhere.

This looks like a case for Charlie Chan!

Jeff T.

18. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Even better do some Chan Blu Rays or do less bulky DVD packaging ..I have all the Chan sets , its like 2-3 feet long :D

19. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

Yeah! I neglected to mention that that last batch were stored in an extravagantly substantial packaging. Much more than necessary for mere Monogram produced programmers to be sure. That probably accounts for most of the retail cost!

Pertaining to bluray? That is undoubtedly coming my friend.

Jeff T.

SAhmed likes this.
  20. dana martin

Dana Martin
    CCCSI: Charlie Chan Crime Scene Investigator

just waiting for those last three to make it to pressed DVD