What's new

Battlestar Galactica (1978 film) on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
So who is getting this on Tuesday? I'm naturally a little worried since it is a Universal title and there is no existing review in place but I'm very tempted to pick it up.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Robertson said:
So who is getting this on Tuesday? I'm naturally a little worried since it is a Universal title and there is no existing review in place but I'm very tempted to pick it up.
I'll let you know how it looks on this week.

GregK

Screenwriter
Bryan^H said:
I'll let you know how it looks on this week.
I'll also be curious how it sounds. BSG 1978 was originally released in the earth shaking Sensurround process. The DVD version from a few years back had the Sensurround track, but it lacked the directional panning and worst of all, was not DBX decoded nor was it anywhere close to the proper output level.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Ahhh..almost forgot about this. It would be really neat if they did something to acknowledge the original Sensurround, but I get the feeling we will get a lossless 5.1 track, similar to what appeared on the DVD set for the TV two-parter.

GregK said:
I'll also be curious how it sounds. BSG 1978 was originally released in the earth shaking Sensurround process. The DVD version from a few years back had the Sensurround track, but it lacked the directional panning and worst of all, was not DBX decoded nor was it anywhere close to the proper output level.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Correctly done Sensorround is 1.1 like most of the DVDs have been done. Some of them may not have the correct level for the bass but if they are released in surround then it is fake surround. People confuse the term Sensurround with Surround Sound. Sensurround surrounded you with a massive shaking bass sound but the soundtrak itself was mono as was common for the 70's. There were a handful of big films being in stereo but not surround. But 1.1 is correct for Sensurround

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Have it in my hands. It states English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.1 with sensurround . Will watch in a few and post back how it sounds.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sampled the opening attacks. It looks and sounds greatAlthough the case states 2.1 sensurround my receiver states that it is 5.1 although it does sound like 2.1As far as I can tell, the sensurround track is intact with deep life effects during explosions. Waiting to hear what you guys think. So far, I think it's a great transfer.

GregK

Screenwriter
Randy Korstick said:
Correctly done Sensorround is 1.1 like most of the DVDs have been done. Some of them may not have the correct level for the bass but if they are released in surround then it is fake surround. People confuse the term Sensurround with Surround Sound. Sensurround surrounded you with a massive shaking bass sound but the soundtrak itself was mono as was common for the 70's. There were a handful of big films being in stereo but not surround. But 1.1 is correct for Sensurround
Well.. Yes .. and no.
Sensurround was single channel, but could be steered to front or back of the theater via cue tones, and became more elaborate by the time BSG 78 was released. I was fortunate enough to see (hear in this case) BSG in its original Sensurround theatrical presentation, and can attest to effective directional panning, even with much of it being low bass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround
Technically, any 5.1 format could mix the front/back directional Sensurround LFE into the L/R front and L/R rear channels as needed, and then could be summed to the subwoofer via base management for those who don't have five full range subs.. which is most of us. The kicker here is the loud potentially damaging deep bass could damage speakers if bass management was not done properly. Or worse, could damage a standard stereo system. The nice thing about doing Sensurround 1.1 (or 2.1) without the directionality is for standard stereo systems, the LFE channel is usually discarded for stereo mixdowns, which is a very good thing for a system threatening Sensurround mix. With that said, Mod-III sensurround as used in BSG was not limited just to low frequency directional steering.

Tino said:
Sampled the opening attacks. It looks and sounds great

Although the case states 2.1 sensurround my receiver states that it is 5.1 although it does sound like 2.1

As far as I can tell, the sensurround track is intact with deep life effects during explosions.

Waiting to hear what you guys think.

So far, I think it's a great transfer.
If the LFE effects are quite noticeable without having to crank your subs up, then I'm optimistic it has to be better than the previous 1.1. release. Thanks for the update!

Is the AR 1.85:1?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes the AR is 185. And the lfe was deep but not overpowering on my system. Sounds much better than the 1.1 sensurround from the standard DVD I own. Very happy with this release.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Glad to hear it! Looks like my local Best Buy has this in stock, too. I will order online for store pickup. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I remember seeing this opening day in May 1979 thinking how could a tv show possibly look good on the big screen. I remember being blown away at how great it looked and how awesome the Sensurround was. This bluray brings me back. I think it actually did pretty well at the boxoffice as I recall but can't find any numbers online. Anyone know how much it made theatrically in 1979?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Tino said:
I remember seeing this opening day in May 1979 thinking how could a tv show possibly look good on the big screen.I remember being blown away at how great it looked and how awesome the Sensurround was. This bluray brings me back. I think it actually did pretty well at the boxoffice as I recall but can't find any numbers online.Anyone know how much it made theatrically in 1979?
I remember there being a sense that the movie was a last ditch attempt to make some money, since the show was already considered a failure in the ratings.

That said, I saw it in the theater and enjoyed it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I really wanted to watch this(vacation day today) I ordered from Best Buy on Monday with express delivery. I was first notified it would arrive on the 13th, or 14th. After the 16th and no package I knew something was up. Went to the website, and noticed this item is on "backorder". Well that pretty much ruled out why I paid for the express shipping in the first place(wanted it earlier this week, not two weeks from now) so I just cancelled my order today. Unfortunate, but pretty much on par with the bad experiences I have had at Best Buy in the past couple years.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
OK so I finally got to watch is in full, and pretty damn impressive, with Universal it is hit or miss, well this is a hit. Moses in space is still damn entertaining, the model work holds up nicely, I remember this being the most expensive (at the time) per episode to produce, that is why the ratings, or failure was such a difficult thing.

My understanding is that not only was this shot on film, but edited on film as well, if the masters are handled correctly, and this single release thru Best Buy does good numbers, how many would be up for a complete blu ray set, and yes I am including Galactica 1980 in that mix, only because it ends Starbucks story.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Gotta say that I saw Galactica 1980 on DVD a few years back and was surprised how much I liked it. Totally changed my opinion that was formed when I saw the original broadcasts way back.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
All right, Best Buy, if you're going to make deals with studios for exclusive Blu-ray releases, and advertise their availability with you only, MAKE SURE EACH STORE IS STOCKED WITH ENOUGH COPIES for your customers!!! I live in Maine, and my Best Buy outlet had no copies on release day. Further, your web site said "Backordered." Great way to stay in our good graces (not)!

It's not like I'm going to perish because I can't get this disc on day one. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, either through you or, when it's in general release, somewhere else. That's not the point. DON'T MAKE DEALS FOR EXCLUSIVE RELEASES UNLESS YOU CAN PROVIDE YOUR CUSTOMERS WITH COPIES!!!

How can that be more simple?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks