Battlestar Galactica (1978 film) on blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Sam Favate, Apr 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    My three local stores had plenty of copies here in the metro NYC area.But I feel your pain. No reason to be back ordered online.

2. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I bought one of the two copies that my local Best Buy had. The video presentation is pretty good and the sound was clean. I have to go write my review on it. too bad they didn't have any extras on this disc or a proper menu (just a pop-up menu).

3. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Ratings were not actually all that bad - at least initially. The problem was that the expense was such that it would have had to be rated No. 1 every week to get the advertising monies anywhere close to what ABC was paying Universal for each episode - and that wasn't happening.

4. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Just a heads up...Universal jacked up the audio. The specs indicate DTS-HD MA 2.1 with the (simulated) Sensurround on the LFE. They did get something on the LFE that does sort of simulate the Sensurround track, but they screwed up the rest of the track. The audio is encoded as 5.1, not 2.1. That's bad.

Sensurround was a mono soundtrack with a control tone sent to special low frequency speakers. For this disc, they have encoded the soundtrack as 5.1 with discrete mono in the left and right channels. The problem with this is most AV receivers will not matrix a discrete soundtrack. Playing this disc does not have any center channel audio. Dialog, and everything else, comes out of the right and left speakers and sound pretty crappy.

FYI, for those so inclined, this can be fixed, after a fashion. With the soundtrack re-encoded as 2-channel with DPL II mixdown and LFE mixed into the mains, it does sound like it is supposed to.

5. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    RobertDo you think this is a mistake or done deliberately?Btw congrats on post # 1000 :)

6. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Also, regarding ratings, at the time of its cancellation , Battlestar Galactica was the highest rated show to ever be cancelled.

7. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

I'm going to have to hope it was a mistake. If there is someone getting paid to master major studio Blu-ray discs and doesn't know any better than to encode this soundtrack this way, then someone should be fired.

1000 posts in 16 years? I'm thinking some got lost somewhere along the way.

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    The deal with exclusives is to get people to come to the stores. They really don't care if you actually get the exclusive item, especially a DVD, which is a loss leader for them anyway. They're simply trying to increase foot traffic.

I agree that this approach is madness, but that's the business philosophy behind exclusives.

For the record, my copy hasn't arrived yet. The web site has said "ships in 1-2 days" for a week now.

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    ...And BestBuy.com just cancelled my order. I'll just wait for the general release Aug. 6. Not worth the hassle.