What's new

Classic TV Shows that would benefit from a Blu-ray transfer (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I don't know if this particular brand of thread exists here yet (search does not show anything) but I would like to start a comprehensive list of TV shows (mostly from the 40s thru the 80s with some 90s thrown in) that would benefit greatly from a HD Blu-ray remaster & transfer (and UHD Blu if that ever comes about).

From my stll somewhat limited understanding, TV shows that were shot on fine-grain (hi-def if yow want to call it that) film of the day would be good candidates for Blu-ray transfer, assuming of course the transfers were done correctly and that the resulting Blu is superior (vastly superior in some recent releases) to existing DVD releases. Some fine examples are the Blu releases for Batman, Lost In Space, Star Trek TOS, Star Trek TNG, Battlestar Galactica TOS and The Twilight Zone TOS.

From what I've learned here, shows that were done on videotape would not be good candidates for Blu remaster & transfer due to the limited image information available on standard definition videotape. Oh such shows could be cleaned up and improved but not to a point where they would look sensational on a big-screen HDTV.

One example here (and I'm sure folks here know plenty of others) would be Three's Company which looks like it was all shot on videotape. SOAP would also fall into that category.

I don't know if high definition videotape was ever invented or existed (seems it could be) but starting in the Y2K decade and into the present, digital video has pretty much replaced videotape (please educate me if I'm wrong on either point) for any applications where videotape would be used.

I do realize that while quite a few shows might be Blu-ray candidates, other market-based factors may prevent their transfer & release. Example: look at the costs involved in bringing Lost In Space. I also realize that some haven't even had a decent DVD release either but consider this a Blu Wish List of mine

I'll start my TV Show Blu-ray Candidates list here (and add to it later). My criteria:

- Shows from the 40s up thru the 90s with some Y2K shows thrown in. Safe to say that by 2010, all TV shows were being shot in hi-def.

Feel free to add your favorite Blu-ray candidate TV Shows.

My TV Show Blu-ray Candidates

The Andy Griffith Show

The A-Team (1983-1987 Edition)

Bonanza

The Brady Bunch

The Partridge Family

Charlie's Angels

Lois & Clark

Smallville

The Flash

Gomer Pyle USMC

Happy Days

James At 15

Laverne & Shirley

Magnum P.I.

Petticoat Junction

Project UFO

Quantum Leap

Quark (1978 brief series)

Reba

RipTide

Simon & Simon

Spin City (Michael J. Fox series)

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Star Trek: Voyager

Step by Step

UFO (I heard a blu might exist but not sure)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
jcroy said:
This is stating the obvious.

I'm sure just about every tv show that was originally shot on film, would benfit from an extensive HD (or 4k) restoration.

:)
Yes I imagine so but it would still be nice to have a comprehensive list. That and the educational value I find such threads and the HTF Forums in general. I still owe a big debt of thanks to HTF folks for steering me away from a HTiB setup while building my HT system.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
An easier question to answer would be which tv shows would not benefit at all from an HD (or 4K) restoration.

I would guess most likely shows that were originally shot on SD resolution videotape from the start (or worse), such as various news broadcasts.

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
Personally, I would not bother with the Dick Van Dyke Show or I Love Lucy on blu. I would have preferred color shows which either have good use of color or where FX would benefit from HD. My own preferences would be Night Gallery, Planet of the Apes, Munsters, Voyage to the bottom of the Sea, Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman and a few others.

Avilos

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Soliva
There a whole bunch of shows on your list I would love to see on Blu-ray.

In particular Quantum Leap, The Flash, and Lois & Clark.

The problem with those shows and other series from the late 80s and early 90s is while they were shot on film the effects were done on video. So no completed version of those series exist on film.

This past year there was reunion of The Flash cast and crew. Producer Danny Bilson discussed this. Doing the effects on video saved them a lot of money. But only non effects scenes will ever look good in high def.

The only solution to this problem is to do what Paramount did with Star Trek The Next Generation. But that means spending a HUGE amount of money to relocate the original negatives and redo the effects in higher resolution.

I don't think it likely to ever happen. Its unknown if Paramount themselves will ever do the same with Deep Space Nine or Voyager.

I would love it if the new Flash series and its tributes to the 1990 series would lead Warner Bros to consider it. It was last one season.

Most of those other series had very long runs.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
There are many that I'd love to see get this treatment like my personal holy grail, My Three Sons. And I of course echo the hope that I Love Lucy will somehow be finished someday. But two that continually stick out in my mind as ideal candidates for Blu-Ray are Combat! and Emergency!

Maybe I just have something for exclamation points... :)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I would buy Bewitched on blu. I have always thought it has a nice film-like look on DVD and surely blu would really bring that out. I don't care if I see the wires; I think that even on DVD we see more of the wires and such than we ever saw in the 60s on regular television sets. Even though I can acknowledge some of the show's weaknesses, I am still totally charmed by it.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
CBS has been making HD transfers of classic shows for several years now, but only a few have actually shown up on blu. In fact, very few are available even for streaming in HD....The CBS syndication bible lists the shows, and indicates if they're in HD:

http://syndicationbible.cbstvd.com/whnjs.htm

For instance, the first three seasons of the late 60s Western High Chaparral has been transferred into HD, and according to the listing they are working on the last season.

Since it seems unclear if CBS will even release this title, I wonder if a company like Twilight Time could take it on....?

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
brynmill said:
Personally, I would not bother with the Dick Van Dyke Show or I Love Lucy on blu. I would have preferred color shows which either have good use of color or where FX would benefit from HD. My own preferences would be Night Gallery, Planet of the Apes, Munsters, Voyage to the bottom of the Sea, Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman and a few others.
How did I miss these? Thanks.

Add to my list:

Six Million Dollar Man

Bionic Woman (1970s series)

Planet Of The Apes

Night Gallery (how did I miss that one)

Search (DVD set exists)

Oh and the NBC Mystery Movie Series

Columbo

McMillan & Wife

Banacek

McCloud

Hec Ramsey

(I think these

==========

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
There are tons of TV shows made after 2010 that could benefit from an HD release, never mind before then. I realize that's not in the spirit of the thread...but judging just from local observations, TV on disc is not a growing area of the trade, but might as well wish...

Anything older made on film could benefit. Until the wayward son has seen what The DVD Show looks like in HD/on BD, he should withold judgment. Maybe not a title to his taste, wasn't exactly mine until I saw it either, but impressive and very worthwhile, a hint of how things could be for the other shows.

Don't know about 4K though, I still think that's mainly for use with a PJ, otherwise you have to sit too close to benefit (with what's available now). And I already have a slight prob with old-time 4:3 TV framing on a large display; not with the 4:3, but with the way they often framed things, the gigantic heads etc., weren't really meant to be seen the way we watch them nowadays.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I purchased the digital seasons of classic HAWAII FIVE-O in 1080p HD, and they look absolutely amazing on my 55" Panasonic plasma, since the original transfers (also used for the DVDs) were remastered in HD. The island scenery pops off the screen. I would love to own these on blu-ray as well, but it certainly seems unlikely that this will ever happen. Netflix ran these HD versions for a while as well, but they recently pulled them off the service, so now the only way to see them is by purchasing the digital versions on Amazon, Vudu or streaming them on CBS All Access.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Hart to Hart, with the seasons not in widescreen being fixed that way!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jeff*H said:
I purchased the digital seasons of classic HAWAII FIVE-O in 1080p HD, and they look absolutely amazing on my 55" Panasonic plasma, since the original transfers (also used for the DVDs) were remastered in HD. The island scenery pops off the screen. I would love to own these on blu-ray as well, but it certainly seems unlikely that this will ever happen. Netflix ran these HD versions for a while as well, but they recently pulled them off the service, so now the only way to see them is by purchasing the digital versions on Amazon, Vudu or streaming them on CBS All Access.
Another strong argument for the Blu-ray/DVD market.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks