What's new

Need some help and advise (1 Viewer)

TK26

Auditioning
Real Name
Antonio
I have a budgeted HT system, That i am planning on upgrading on a budget ,here is the list of what i currently have52" Sony TvSony AvrPolk DSW micro pro 2000fluance AVBP2 bipolar surroundCustom built 60" LCR sound barI want to upgrade1pair of Bookshelves for my LRUpgrade sub or add a secondaryupgrade surround speakers maybe matching the frontsHere are some questions i have .can i mix multiple speakers?can i use my lcr as a Center Channel
Alo i have an open floor plan , so the sound will be kinda dispersedAll advise is appreciated

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes you can use your LCR as a center by combining parallel and series(you can find diagrams for that all over the internet, makes no difference which terminals are what).You should stick to one brand of speakers for your 5/7 no matter what. But what, exactly, do you mean by "mix" anyway?

TK26

Auditioning
Real Name
Antonio
well i mean mixing different brands , I want to keep my custom LCR. My surround i may send back to manufacturer as they are not performaning that well. the sub not sure if i shpild just get a second one in order to enhance my bass, or just get rid of it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, your sub is not a slouch. Have you tried it in another spot? My guess is you are sitting in a bass null.

There are numerous ways to get rid of nulls...and yes, adding a 2nd subwoofer is one of the ways.

You don't say what Sony AVR...so we have no idea what kind of room correction you have.

TK26

Auditioning
Real Name
Antonio
Sam, my avr is sony str dh810. What other ways can i solve the bass null. Sam i really dont want to get rid of my LCR, could i just upgrade my fluance surrounds as they seem to scratch when playing certain movies. I am trying to upgrade my system on a budget, if that is even possible

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Move your sub.Add in more "volume suck"(meaning you have bass interaction going on. Add a rug, build a bass trap)Behringer BFD/antimode 8033

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TK26 said:
Sam, my avr is sony str dh810. What other ways can i solve the bass null. Sam i really dont want to get rid of my LCR, could i just upgrade my fluance surrounds as they seem to scratch when playing certain movies. I am trying to upgrade my system on a budget, if that is even possible
You say your house is open plan, that could be affecting the bass response a lot, adding more subwoofers would help if that is the case, bass can be the hardest part of a home cinema system to get right, the room can interact with the subwoofer, as pointed out you could have room modes causing poor bass at certain frequencies, even boosting at others, i use a Velodyne SMS-1 for my sub but its not open plan so is far easier to control the issues, i personally think you should consider moving your system to a closed room as open plan will make it very difficult for one small subwoofer to have a positive effect on your sound but if you cannot then try adding another subwoofer.

If you are on a budget then just moving things to a dedicated smaller enclosed room would really help a lot.

TK26

Auditioning
Real Name
Antonio
Well here is a bit more info

I am in a 4 bd house with no dedicated movie room
I am on a very limited budget
The open plan includes dining, kitchen,formal lr, and family room, there are walls seperating some of them ,but with large open arch ways

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks