World War Z

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 of 85 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,540 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 05:47 AM

I too enjoyed it, a solid B+ in my book, AND they left it open to a sequel, if the money is right I suppose.  WWZ2 anyone? 

Right after I typed this, I found this article:

http://cinefantastiq...-by-box-office/

Edited by Richard V, June 24 2013 - 08:58 AM.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#42 of 85 OFFLINE   SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 01:17 PM

Having read the book, I had many worries about this film. Yet even though it has almost nothing in common with it's source material I really enjoyed it. I thought the PG13 rating worked in it's favor. The films makers had to create fear and tension without all the gore usually associated with the zombie sub-genre, and I for one thought they succeeded rather well.

On Leonard Maltin's famous 4 star rating system, I give it ***.

You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#43 of 85 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 02:54 PM

I didnt love this movie...but I didnt hate it either.  Some really good/fun sequences, but overall just felt paper thin.  No characters.  No sub-plot.  Not enough sense of scale considering it is about a global scale infection.  

Plus the rather silly coincidences in the movie were a bit much.  (The workers at the W.H.O. were surprised that someone came to see them?  Really?  I would have thought that thousands would have gone there.  The amazing physical recovery of Pitt's character after a serious injury.  He seems to suffer no ill effects from what would kill most.  The injection...just silly the way that happened.  Could have been a much smarter way to have done that scene.)

Despite these and many other nitpicks, I still had fun watching it.  However, it left me wanting someone to do this sort of movie right.

Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#44 of 85 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,129 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted June 24 2013 - 06:21 PM

I love Monday mornings at work because everyone gives their thoughts on the new releases.  From those who watched WWZ, it seemed that non-zombie fans enjoyed the movie while zombie fans didn't care too much for it. 

#45 of 85 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,289 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 25 2013 - 04:54 AM

They announced a sequel today .
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#46 of 85 OFFLINE   SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 06:36 AM

It would be interesting if the sequel ends up being more like the original book than this first film.

You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#47 of 85 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 03:36 AM

What kind of world do we live in where a movie about Superman, "Man of Steel" is more violent than a movie about a zombie Apocalypse !!!

As far as World War Z I enjoyed it actually, I found it more on the level as something like 28 days, its not the book, but I don't know how you could do the book as a movie, maybe as a mini-series.

My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#48 of 85 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,895 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 07:29 AM

As far as World War Z I enjoyed it actually, I found it more on the level as something like 28 days, its not the book, but I don't know how you could do the book as a movie, maybe as a mini-series.

The book screams for a mini-series. 

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#49 of 85 OFFLINE   Brett Meyer

Brett Meyer

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 07:07 AM

I read WWZ and loved it.  I knew they would not be able to make a film that did it justice.  Having said that, I had no problem enjoying the hell of of this movie.  I like the travelogue aspect and the tension.  It's a thriller, not a gorefest.  I get all the gore I need from The Walking Dead.  It has flaws -- it felt a bit truncated and the tonal shift from the first 2/3 to the climax was noticeable to me because I had read the media reports of problems during prduction.  My wife and children thought it was scary and noticed none of this.  In short, we all liked it. 

#50 of 85 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,610 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 11:46 PM

Minor Spoiler warning - I can't figure out how to tag...

Saw it today. Enjoyed it very much as a thriller, but as a zombie film it left me a little cold. In this world zombies don't eat people, they merely attack and spread their disease. While the idea of zombies feeding on the living has always felt a bit silly, it's what gives them the horror value and the thing to fear and I never felt these zombies were frightening. And, as someone else pointed out, I never got that sense of 'epidemic on a global scale'.

Two things took me out of the film - the blood was tinted black, and the whole plane crash sequence. I'll give them that Gerry and the Israeli soldier solely survived the plane crash, but that they did so and crashed within a few hours walk of their destination kind of annoyed me.

I will say this, while the horde scaling the wall looked stupid in the trailer, it played much better within the film.

There will surely be an unrated edition on home video, but I'm afraid they'll just remove the black tinting to the blood.

#51 of 85 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,995 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 04 2013 - 03:46 AM

Minor Spoiler warning - I can't figure out how to tag...

Type [ SPOILER]Rosebud is a sled, Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father, Bruce Willis is actually a dead guy[/SPOILER]

^ You have to delete that space that I put between the [ and the S to make it go the spoiler box.

Edited by TravisR, July 04 2013 - 03:48 AM.

#52 of 85 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,289 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 04 2013 - 03:49 AM

SPOILER.

Regarding the plane crash, they were on final approach to the airport as per the announcement over the intercom just before the outbreak in first class occurred. So Their proximity to the WHO facility made sense to me.

#53 of 85 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,289 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 04 2013 - 03:49 AM

Type [ SPOILER]Rosebud is a sled, Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father, Bruce Willis is actually a dead guy[/SPOILER]
         ^ You have to delete that space that I put between the [ and the S to make it go the spoiler box.

Hey, you just spoiled those films for me! ;)

#54 of 85 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,826 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 05 2013 - 04:18 PM

Having read the book, I had many worries about this film. Yet even though it has almost nothing in common with it's source material I really enjoyed it. I thought the PG13 rating worked in it's favor. The films makers had to create fear and tension without all the gore usually associated with the zombie sub-genre, and I for one thought they succeeded rather well.

On Leonard Maltin's famous 4 star rating system, I give it ***.

Well put, I really enjoyed the book, and enjoyed this movie too.  Amazon has the preorder up already: http://www.hometheat...e-for-preorder/

#55 of 85 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted July 10 2013 - 04:57 AM

:thumbsup:

#56 of 85 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 823 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted July 10 2013 - 05:07 AM

I was totally surprised by this film when I saw it last weekend. I really enjoyed the way they did the zombies, seemed inspired by tardive dyskinesia, with the involuntary movements and clicks. Like other posters, I also felt that the PG-13 rating worked in favor of the overall storytelling. There are far too many films that rely on gore and general shock factor, at least here the story had a sense of realism.

4/5.

#57 of 85 OFFLINE   spshultz

spshultz

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 04:14 PM

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this film.  Some parts seemed a bit silly such as the vault scene but overall thought it was action packed and intense.  My wife jumped a lot during this one and she didn't fall asleep like she usually does so I use that as my gauge.   :D

#58 of 85 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 10 2013 - 05:38 PM

Hopefully it won't be...

World War Zz

KIDDING. Plan on seeing it this weekend.

#59 of 85 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,214 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 11:24 AM

What a great movie this was. Great story/source material, pacing, scope, actors, tension, scares, music - you name it, it was (nearly) all there.

Sure, there were weaker scenes here and there and "PG-13/CGI" affected some of the horror stuff, but after all the bad press (people are still talking about the "reshoots" etc more than the actual film) I was very pleased. The ending was actually great - the whole sequence worked liked clockwork (I won't spoil anything, though).

Such a relief that people didn't exactly believed all the bad press (sometimes propaganda, even) and went to the theatres. Sequel now, please?

#60 of 85 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,619 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 08:11 AM

The Blu-ray (released on September 17th) will include an unrated cut.

"I’m really excited for fans to see the new unrated version of World War Z on Blu-ray," said Pitt. "We were thrilled with the audience response to the film in theaters and wanted to give viewers even more of the action and intensity that they loved when they watch the film at home."

I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users