World War Z

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Richard V, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Saw the uncut version on demand last night and I must say I really like this movie. I knew the gore was minimal, but the version I saw had a great deal of action for me. I also appreciated the story line especially the zombies.
    The problem is the predatory virus that forces its host to seek others to infect; hence just a bite or two and not devouring the one bitten. That is realistic to me and works much better than the premise of the some organs of the dead still work like the stomach that requires the old zombie to eat flesh.
    I am picking this one up.4 1/2 out of 5.

2. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I liked the Cardiff ending at the WHO a lot more than I probably would have liked the Moscow battle ending. That being said, it felt like there was a missing half hour or so between Cardiff and Nova Scotia.

4. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I liked the added intensity of the unrated cut. Wish this version would have been released in theaters.

Tino likes this.
  5. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Yup. For once the "intense footage" claim was true.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

What exactly is added?

7. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Hmm...let's see. SPOILERS1. More gore during the attacks2. Extended scenes featuring more violence in Philadelphia Newark and Jerusalem3. An extended scene with David Morse pulling out his teethOverall, just a bit more violence and gore overall. Definitely more intense and a better cut of the film.

Tim Glover and Rhett_Y like this.
  8. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

This is a definite must have for me!! Can't wait for it, really like the original and now add this to it. Oh yeah!!!

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    WWZ was erratic for me. Portions were great, taut, thrilling. Hitting the family emotional ties. But other sequence were stupid. The cellphone ringing during the raid was hamfisted and pushed me put of the whole scene. I didn't understand the chittering, fleet feet zombies. On the whole, I give it a worthwhile redbox rental, but loss over not seeing it in the theater.

10. Jari K

Jari K Producer

"I didn't understand the chittering, fleet feet zombies."

I personally don't feel that zombies/infected/etc should be the same in every movie or tv-series. And they certainly don't have to be "slow-ish" (it works great for Walking Dead, though).

I really liked the "zombie desing" in WWZ, especially during the last chapter (where actor Michael Jenn delivers a great performance). Of course some of the CGI work (wider shots, zombie crowds) was a bit distracting, but then again it worked great in some sequences (Israel, etc).

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I don't know if zombies need to be fast or slow, I'm not much of a zombie person. I liked I am Legend, with Wil Smith, much better, and it had fast zombies. Shaun of the Dead was fun. And I've read The Passage, though I think that's a vampire book. But I didn't get these zombies. They made me less scared, the less I saw them because they were such ridiculous chittering chipmunks. The beginning was great. Brad Pitt fleeing with his wife and kids, with a brief pause in a stranger's apartment, was one of the better openings I've seen in a while. The events that forced him to take the mission and leave his family, made great sense and made me even more anxious. But then the walled city of Israel, 10 million people remain quiet as peeps for weeks, until an enthusiastic dozen immigrants sing a little, and that brings on the zombie hordes? At the very moment that Brad Pitt is there watching? It pulled me out of the story screaming, this is a movie that must do certain movie things now. Please enjoy a Pepsi responsibly.I did miss something basic; I'd have enjoyed it more if I got this: why did they conclude the zombies ignore those with fatal illness? They showed a limping soldier, an old man, and a kid. I completely missed how these reveal the zombie weakness.

12. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Basically, the Z's need a healthy host to spread the virus, which is why they bypassed anyone they sensed had a terminal illness. And by injecting himself with the disease, Pitt's character became virtually invisible to them. Which then gives the military an advantage in the war. I personally loved the "zombies" in this film and how terrifyingly fast and vicious they were. Attacking with their teeth, swarming etc.. I think the filmmakers did a great job of bringing something "fresh" to the Zombie genre.

13. Jari K

Jari K Producer

14. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I understood the conclusion Pitt's character reached, but I don't know how the soldier with the tweaked leg fit in at all. A tweaked leg is not a terminal condition...

15. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Unless that tweaked leg is a cancer or some other terminal illness.

16. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    But the soldier said he had the problem for awhile, which itself doesn't mesh with him working a job with high physical fitness standards.

17. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    People can have something that "bothers them" for quite a while and think it's no big deal, and then when they have it looked at they wind up getting surprising, bad news. Does that really need more thought?

18. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I'd say what is more of an issue is since the spread if the virus is so lightening quick, what does it matter if someone is terminal? As long as their legs and teeth still work they could spread it to tons of other potential hosts. I have more of an issue with that.

19. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    I thought the soldier had left his recent leg injury untreated so gangrene or other killer infection had set it and therefore would die relatively soon without treatment and that is why the zombies ignored him. I was under the impression it was a recent injury from a fight that had gotten steadily worse because of lack of treatment and not some chronic condition he had for years.

Cameron Yee likes this.
  20. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It does when the concept is itself half-baked (as you pointed out in your second post), but thanks for understanding. :rolleyes: