What's new

World War Z (1 Viewer)

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Having read the book, I had many worries about this film. Yet even though it has almost nothing in common with it's source material I really enjoyed it. I thought the PG13 rating worked in it's favor. The films makers had to create fear and tension without all the gore usually associated with the zombie sub-genre, and I for one thought they succeeded rather well.

On Leonard Maltin's famous 4 star rating system, I give it ***.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I didnt love this movie...but I didnt hate it either. Some really good/fun sequences, but overall just felt paper thin. No characters. No sub-plot. Not enough sense of scale considering it is about a global scale infection.

Plus the rather silly coincidences in the movie were a bit much. (The workers at the W.H.O. were surprised that someone came to see them? Really? I would have thought that thousands would have gone there. The amazing physical recovery of Pitt's character after a serious injury. He seems to suffer no ill effects from what would kill most. The injection...just silly the way that happened. Could have been a much smarter way to have done that scene.)

Despite these and many other nitpicks, I still had fun watching it. However, it left me wanting someone to do this sort of movie right.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I love Monday mornings at work because everyone gives their thoughts on the new releases. From those who watched WWZ, it seemed that non-zombie fans enjoyed the movie while zombie fans didn't care too much for it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
What kind of world do we live in where a movie about Superman, "Man of Steel" is more violent than a movie about a zombie Apocalypse !!!

As far as World War Z I enjoyed it actually, I found it more on the level as something like 28 days, its not the book, but I don't know how you could do the book as a movie, maybe as a mini-series.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Dave Scarpa said:
As far as World War Z I enjoyed it actually, I found it more on the level as something like 28 days, its not the book, but I don't know how you could do the book as a movie, maybe as a mini-series.
The book screams for a mini-series.

Brett Meyer

Auditioning
I read WWZ and loved it. I knew they would not be able to make a film that did it justice. Having said that, I had no problem enjoying the hell of of this movie. I like the travelogue aspect and the tension. It's a thriller, not a gorefest. I get all the gore I need from The Walking Dead. It has flaws -- it felt a bit truncated and the tonal shift from the first 2/3 to the climax was noticeable to me because I had read the media reports of problems during prduction. My wife and children thought it was scary and noticed none of this. In short, we all liked it.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Minor Spoiler warning - I can't figure out how to tag...

Saw it today. Enjoyed it very much as a thriller, but as a zombie film it left me a little cold. In this world zombies don't eat people, they merely attack and spread their disease. While the idea of zombies feeding on the living has always felt a bit silly, it's what gives them the horror value and the thing to fear and I never felt these zombies were frightening. And, as someone else pointed out, I never got that sense of 'epidemic on a global scale'. Two things took me out of the film - the blood was tinted black, and the whole plane crash sequence. I'll give them that Gerry and the Israeli soldier solely survived the plane crash, but that they did so and crashed within a few hours walk of their destination kind of annoyed me.

I will say this, while the horde scaling the wall looked stupid in the trailer, it played much better within the film.

There will surely be an unrated edition on home video, but I'm afraid they'll just remove the black tinting to the blood.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Paul D G said:
Minor Spoiler warning - I can't figure out how to tag...
Type [ SPOILER]Rosebud is a sled, Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father, Bruce Willis is actually a dead guy[/SPOILER]
^ You have to delete that space that I put between the [ and the S to make it go the spoiler box.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
SPOILER. Regarding the plane crash, they were on final approach to the airport as per the announcement over the intercom just before the outbreak in first class occurred. So Their proximity to the WHO facility made sense to me.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
TravisR said:
Type [ SPOILER]Rosebud is a sled, Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father, Bruce Willis is actually a dead guy[/SPOILER] ^ You have to delete that space that I put between the [ and the S to make it go the spoiler box.
Hey, you just spoiled those films for me! ;)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
SteveJKo said:
Having read the book, I had many worries about this film. Yet even though it has almost nothing in common with it's source material I really enjoyed it. I thought the PG13 rating worked in it's favor. The films makers had to create fear and tension without all the gore usually associated with the zombie sub-genre, and I for one thought they succeeded rather well.

On Leonard Maltin's famous 4 star rating system, I give it ***.
Well put, I really enjoyed the book, and enjoyed this movie too. Amazon has the preorder up already: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/324648-world-war-z-3d-blu-ray-combo-blu-ray-combo-available-for-preorder/

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I was totally surprised by this film when I saw it last weekend. I really enjoyed the way they did the zombies, seemed inspired by tardive dyskinesia, with the involuntary movements and clicks. Like other posters, I also felt that the PG-13 rating worked in favor of the overall storytelling. There are far too many films that rely on gore and general shock factor, at least here the story had a sense of realism.

4/5.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Some parts seemed a bit silly such as the vault scene but overall thought it was action packed and intense. My wife jumped a lot during this one and she didn't fall asleep like she usually does so I use that as my gauge. :D

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
What a great movie this was. Great story/source material, pacing, scope, actors, tension, scares, music - you name it, it was (nearly) all there.Sure, there were weaker scenes here and there and "PG-13/CGI" affected some of the horror stuff, but after all the bad press (people are still talking about the "reshoots" etc more than the actual film) I was very pleased. The ending was actually great - the whole sequence worked liked clockwork (I won't spoil anything, though).Such a relief that people didn't exactly believed all the bad press (sometimes propaganda, even) and went to the theatres. Sequel now, please?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The Blu-ray (released on September 17th) will include an unrated cut.
"I’m really excited for fans to see the new unrated version of World War Z on Blu-ray," said Pitt. "We were thrilled with the audience response to the film in theaters and wanted to give viewers even more of the action and intensity that they loved when they watch the film at home."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks