What's new

Gulliver's Travels Fleischer animated feature offer (1 Viewer)

animatonfan

Auditioning
Real Name
avery
I read about this at the following link http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/608025-gullivers-travels-fleischer-animated-feature-offer.html - FINALLY a release that will make us forget about that horrible Blu-Ray release from a few years back. The Fleischer Studio's classic animated feature Gulliver's Travels to be seen as it deserves.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Please report back on the quality, if you decide to purchase a copy. Many thanks!!

Real Name
Steve Stanchfield
Here's a link to some stills from the transfer earlier today. So far we've transferred 3 of the 4 2000' reels of the feature. It's a beautiful IB technicolor print....looks better than I've ever seen the film... http://www.intanibase.com/forum/index.php?topic=1283.0

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The e-mail address given for use with PayPal belongs to a non-registered user. Does it seem likely a person offering to sell copies of this via PayPal would not have registered with the site?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Dick said:
The e-mail address given for use with PayPal belongs to a non-registered user. Does it seem likely a person offering to sell copies of this via PayPal would not have registered with the site?
He is registered; I've used PayPal to purchase his things numerous times over several years, most recently within the past week, and there's never been a problem. You must have entered the email address incorrectly.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Paul Penna said:
He is registered; I've used PayPal to purchase his things numerous times over several years, most recently within the past week, and there's never been a problem. You must have entered the email address incorrectly.
And of course, you are correct. A typo, one which I repeated about ten times. Thanks.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I bought it just now. Wouldn't it be nice if this outfit did the same for HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN (1941). and HORROR OF DRACULA.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just received mine and here are a few thoughts and observations. It came in a small cardboard mailer with 2 paper sleeves. One sleeve contains the DVDr and the other sleeve contains the HD MPEG 4 file, which I take is for a computer. I compared the DVDr to the DVD from Hal Roach Studios Image. The Image was on my Panny BD30 and the DVDr was on my HDA1. They were compared side by side on a Epson LCD 9500 (ISFed by Avical)onto a 110" JKP Affinity screen in my HT. The Image picture has a lot of detail but it's washed out like the examples shown. The DVDr has beautiful color, but here's where it's not the same as the Image. All the blues are blown out along with the night scenes and it has way too much pink purples. Also, the detail in the dark scenes is not there. It does show all of the film, where as the Image is slightly zoomed. Also, the film doesn't start at the beginning because te menu has it starting during the storm. Once the film starts, you have to rewind it to the beginning. I also ran the DVDr on a calibrated Mit 65738 DLP, and it also shows the blown out blues and pink purples, but not as bad. The Mit is as different from my Epson as apples and oranges (film vs TV shows). The DVDr is not like the examples that are shown above, but maybe something went wrong when transferring it. This DVDr will be a treasured part of my collection anyway! I hope someone else will respond when they get theirs and see if my systems are true or not.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Haven't gotten mine yet, but in the meantime bear in mind this was transferred from a 35mm IB Technicolor projection print, whereas the Hal Roach Image disc most likely from a low-contrast preprint element.

Real Name
Steve Stanchfield
Thanks for the comments. I hope you like the transfer overall though! The DVD and the HD file are just as they were done, and the stills are the from the transfer with very little change on the dvd- It's just a raw transfer of the 35mm print with only a very basic adjustment on each reel (every 10 minutes) but not a scene for scene color correction at all . I did make the all's well sequence just a bit lighter because it seemed a little dark, but I attempted to keep the transfer as true as possible to the IB Tech print- in hindsight I should have pulled the blues down just a little more on the beginning. I think reel 1a (the first half of one ) is too hot on the blues after the shipwreck and before the wedding scene. Reel 2 is looking good here on the blues without any blowout or anything, so maybe it's just the "All's Well' scene that is looking too hot to you. When you do a telecine transfer, of course it looks a little different on different monitors. Right now the transfer for the DVD is still in the HD rage of colors, though in safe for NTSC. I do hope everyone likes it, and sorry about the menu selections starting at the first scene. If you hit stop and then play on your dvd player it should start at the beginning,

Real Name
Steve Stanchfield
*update* I went back to my final cut file on the DVD version; looks great there with none of the color issues. I'm thinking that there was some kind of auto contrast that happened when I did the Mpeg compression (I'm on a newer computer and have a newer version of compressor, the program used for making the file for the DVD). I'll be sending replacements on the dvd to the 53 people who bought it. Chances are we'll do an 'official' release at some point down the road.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the clarification. I was going to chime in that my version was also blowing out the blues, at least for the first reel. Regardless, I can live with whatever the final answer is since the whole point of the exercise for me was to support a good cause.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Thunderbean said:
*update* I went back to my final cut file on the DVD version; looks great there with none of the color issues. I'm thinking that there was some kind of auto contrast that happened when I did the Mpeg compression (I'm on a newer computer and have a newer version of compressor, the program used for making the file for the DVD). I'll be sending replacements on the dvd to the 53 people who bought it. Chances are we'll do an 'official' release at some point down the road.
Thanks Sreve. If you need any extra money, I'll be glad to fork it over thru PayPal. I would love to see it without the blown out scenes!!!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I like it. It's a film-like transfer. No arbitrary or unnecessary manipulation. Love the color, don't even mind the DVD-R.. Thanks for your efforts to bring us this film. No other edition -- and there are several -- comes remotely close to Thunderbeam's right & proper transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks