"Fleischer Classics featuring Gulliver's Travels" (1939) coming to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Retro00064, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Retro00064

Retro00064 Agent

Zachary
    Steve Stanchfield (Thunderbean Animation) has a Blu-ray of classic Fleischer cartoons in the works, featuring the 1939 animated feature Gulliver's Travels, which is being restored from 35mm Technicolor prints, plus 8 other Fleischer cartoons. The set is available for pre-order on Amazon for one week only to help cover the costs of making the set; pre-orderers will also receive a bonus 35mm Technicolor film strip of 24 frames from Gulliver, cut from the good portions of water-damaged reels that Steve has. More information from Steve is at Jerry Beck's Cartoon Research site, here:

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/fleischer-fun-part-2-gullivers-travels-and-modeling-restored/

Some of you may remember the DVD-plus-HD-MP4 limited-edition discs of a raw transfer of Gulliver offered by Steve earlier this year; this will be a restoration derived from that transfer.

Just thought I'd pass on the news; I'm not affiliated with Steve/Thunderbean.

Suzanne.S likes this.
  2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Thanks for the heads up, I never got around to the previous release, and have ordered this one just now!

3. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

Order placed!

4. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    ordered, now if they would also do mr. bug :D

Suzanne.S likes this.
  5. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Well, all of us that ordered the first "Gulliver's Travels" from Thunderbean noticed a not great copy. He tried again and sent a new edition of the movie and it was perfect!!!

I guess I'll have to order again because I don't want to miss out on the best available editions of anything that Thunderbean has to offer!!!

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Do you mean the awful cropped Koch media edition that looked worse than upscaled DVD, that one was released in the wrong aspect ratio and was atrocious, i'm unaware of any other release other than this upcoming one which seems set to finally do justice to the movie.

7. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    No, that's not what I said. The first DVDrs that went out, the blacks were blow out. He redid the DVDr, and the blacks were much better.

I don't mind re-ordering it again it it's even better than the last time and the cartoons are surely a bonus!!!

8. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

The reference is to the raw scan that Thunderbean offered on a limited-time basis to users of an animation forum and that was subsequently linked here. No connection to the Koch release whatsoever.

9. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

The Koch version actually hurt my feelings. I couldn't believe anybody would treat a classic film that shabbily.

ahollis and Retro00064 like this.
  10. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Pre-ordered, by the way!!!

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Apologies, i thought it was some blu ray edition i had not heard of because we are in the blu ray section, my mistake, let's keep our fingers crossed that this time it's done right and hopefully they won't do a Disney.

12. Retro00064

Retro00064 Agent

Zachary
    Steve is renowned among classic cartoon enthusiasts for his quality sets of public-domain classic cartoons, for which he transfers the best film elements he can find and use. He's a classic cartoon buff himself and film collector and participates on a cartoon forum where a number of us enthusiasts hang out. Expect a quality product. There is not the slightest chance of revisionism on this set; in fact, he once said in a forum post when talking about the Disney Pinocchio feature, quote: "I'm a little disstressed at the new versions of the film, all spiffed up. It doesn't feel like the same film anymore in the new blue ray. I think I'd prefer a slightly beat up theatrical print, or perhaps the beautiful color timing on the old 16mm blue track technicolor prints."

dana martin and FoxyMulder like this.
  13. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Thanks, that's good to know.

14. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    Having given some thought to this announcement, I have a question is this a BD-R, not that it will change my order, just wondering. Knowing that Thunderbean is a smaller company, but they also look at these as the works of art that they are; If support for this title does well, would they consider maybe a Kickstarter program to do other features? The previously mentioned Mr. Bug goes to Town automatically comes to mind.

Also I was thinking, how much would a Kickstarter need to raise to complete the Betty Boop titles that are not on Olive’s list of titles to be released? Between film and animation aficionado’s, and the proper amount of information; This could be a winning situation all around.

15. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Happily pre-ordered.

The old Laservision Associates inc Laserdisc was not a bad release, but this one promises so much more.
    So thanks Thunderbean for making it happen.

Like others, I'd also love to see Hoppity released on Blu-Ray.

hoppity.jpg

16. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Amazon says my copy of this is already shipped!

17. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    Mine shipped today as well!

18. Retro00064

Retro00064 Agent

Zachary
    That must be an error. All of the official word on this set (e.g. the Cartoon Research post) points to this being simply a pre-order, with the set being sent once it's finished. Read the Editor's Note by Jerry Beck at the bottom of the C.R. post.

19. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Amazon won't charge the customer or pay the seller until the seller reports it as "shipped". So if Thunderbean is using the money from pre-orders to finish the job, they have to report the orders as shipped. Probably not the best way to operate.

20. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    hmm, Amazon says mine has shipped just a couple of hours after ordering.

Possibly what Mark suggested is true, or could it be a Blu-Ray mod?

Doug.