What's new

"Fleischer Classics featuring Gulliver's Travels" (1939) coming to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Retro00064

Agent
Real Name
Zachary
Steve Stanchfield (Thunderbean Animation) has a Blu-ray of classic Fleischer cartoons in the works, featuring the 1939 animated feature Gulliver's Travels, which is being restored from 35mm Technicolor prints, plus 8 other Fleischer cartoons. The set is available for pre-order on Amazon for one week only to help cover the costs of making the set; pre-orderers will also receive a bonus 35mm Technicolor film strip of 24 frames from Gulliver, cut from the good portions of water-damaged reels that Steve has. More information from Steve is at Jerry Beck's Cartoon Research site, here:

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/fleischer-fun-part-2-gullivers-travels-and-modeling-restored/

Some of you may remember the DVD-plus-HD-MP4 limited-edition discs of a raw transfer of Gulliver offered by Steve earlier this year; this will be a restoration derived from that transfer.

Just thought I'd pass on the news; I'm not affiliated with Steve/Thunderbean.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Thanks for the heads up, I never got around to the previous release, and have ordered this one just now!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, all of us that ordered the first "Gulliver's Travels" from Thunderbean noticed a not great copy. He tried again and sent a new edition of the movie and it was perfect!!!

I guess I'll have to order again because I don't want to miss out on the best available editions of anything that Thunderbean has to offer!!!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
John Sparks said:
Well, all of us that ordered the first "Gulliver's Travels" from Thunderbean noticed a not great copy. He tried again and sent a new edition of the movie and it was perfect!!!

I guess I'll have to order again because I don't want to miss out on the best available editions of anything that Thunderbean has to offer!!!
Do you mean the awful cropped Koch media edition that looked worse than upscaled DVD, that one was released in the wrong aspect ratio and was atrocious, i'm unaware of any other release other than this upcoming one which seems set to finally do justice to the movie.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
FoxyMulder said:
Do you mean the awful cropped Koch media edition that looked worse than upscaled DVD, that one was released in the wrong aspect ratio and was atrocious, i'm unaware of any other release other than this upcoming one which seems set to finally do justice to the movie.
No, that's not what I said. The first DVDrs that went out, the blacks were blow out. He redid the DVDr, and the blacks were much better.

I don't mind re-ordering it again it it's even better than the last time and the cartoons are surely a bonus!!!

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
FoxyMulder said:
The reference is to the raw scan that Thunderbean offered on a limited-time basis to users of an animation forum and that was subsequently linked here. No connection to the Koch release whatsoever.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Paul Penna said:
The reference is to the raw scan that Thunderbean offered on a limited-time basis to users of an animation forum and that was subsequently linked here. No connection to the Koch release whatsoever.
John Sparks said:
No, that's not what I said. The first DVDrs that went out, the blacks were blow out. He redid the DVDr, and the blacks were much better.

I don't mind re-ordering it again it it's even better than the last time and the cartoons are surely a bonus!!!
Apologies, i thought it was some blu ray edition i had not heard of because we are in the blu ray section, my mistake, let's keep our fingers crossed that this time it's done right and hopefully they won't do a Disney.

Retro00064

Agent
Real Name
Zachary
FoxyMulder said:
Apologies, i thought it was some blu ray edition i had not heard of because we are in the blu ray section, my mistake, let's keep our fingers crossed that this time it's done right and hopefully they won't do a Disney.
Steve is renowned among classic cartoon enthusiasts for his quality sets of public-domain classic cartoons, for which he transfers the best film elements he can find and use. He's a classic cartoon buff himself and film collector and participates on a cartoon forum where a number of us enthusiasts hang out. Expect a quality product. There is not the slightest chance of revisionism on this set; in fact, he once said in a forum post when talking about the Disney Pinocchio feature, quote: "I'm a little disstressed at the new versions of the film, all spiffed up. It doesn't feel like the same film anymore in the new blue ray. I think I'd prefer a slightly beat up theatrical print, or perhaps the beautiful color timing on the old 16mm blue track technicolor prints."

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Retro00064 said:
Steve is renowned among classic cartoon enthusiasts for his quality sets of public-domain classic cartoons, for which he transfers the best film elements he can find and use. He's a classic cartoon buff himself and film collector and participates on a cartoon forum where a number of us enthusiasts hang out. Expect a quality product. There is not the slightest chance of revisionism on this set; in fact, he once said in a forum post when talking about the Disney Pinocchio feature, quote: "I'm a little disstressed at the new versions of the film, all spiffed up. It doesn't feel like the same film anymore in the new blue ray. I think I'd prefer a slightly beat up theatrical print, or perhaps the beautiful color timing on the old 16mm blue track technicolor prints."
Thanks, that's good to know.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Having given some thought to this announcement, I have a question is this a BD-R, not that it will change my order, just wondering. Knowing that Thunderbean is a smaller company, but they also look at these as the works of art that they are; If support for this title does well, would they consider maybe a Kickstarter program to do other features? The previously mentioned Mr. Bug goes to Town automatically comes to mind.

Also I was thinking, how much would a Kickstarter need to raise to complete the Betty Boop titles that are not on Olive’s list of titles to be released? Between film and animation aficionado’s, and the proper amount of information; This could be a winning situation all around.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Happily pre-ordered.

The old Laservision Associates inc Laserdisc was not a bad release, but this one promises so much more.
So thanks Thunderbean for making it happen.

Like others, I'd also love to see Hoppity released on Blu-Ray.

hoppity.jpg

Retro00064

Agent
Real Name
Zachary
That must be an error. All of the official word on this set (e.g. the Cartoon Research post) points to this being simply a pre-order, with the set being sent once it's finished. Read the Editor's Note by Jerry Beck at the bottom of the C.R. post.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Amazon won't charge the customer or pay the seller until the seller reports it as "shipped". So if Thunderbean is using the money from pre-orders to finish the job, they have to report the orders as shipped. Probably not the best way to operate.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
hmm, Amazon says mine has shipped just a couple of hours after ordering.

Possibly what Mark suggested is true, or could it be a Blu-Ray mod?

Doug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks