-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking about buying a 3d projector....questions abound

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 rangerofheaven

rangerofheaven

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 07:26 AM

I am decently tech savvy, buying a home theater setup soon, and kind of feel it might be worth it to upgrade to a projector setup. I have a 40'' 1080p HDTV atm, it is pretty great but I can't help but imagine the true theater setup I might have with a projector. I don't have any specifications on the room right now...just questions. I can tell you that it's small....maybe 10 feet from front to back? Would that drastically effect my viewing range? I might possibly be moving later this year to a large house so I would have a much bigger setup area there. I'm wondering how much I would need for a good, 3D ready projector with 720P or 1080P. Used or refurbished is fine with me as well. I'd like to be able to view 3D content such as 3D blu-rays, and games optimized for 3D. After my cinema experiences I'm partial to DLP....but I'll defer to better judgement on these matters. I'd be willing to spend something around $500 I believe....but I would love to be able to go cheaper. I don't know a whole lot about projectors, the difference between 3d capable and 3d ready, and the different resolutions. I do understand that although a projector might state it does 720P, if the native resolution is lower than that then it wouldn't be TRUE 720P. Something along those lines. I could really use some advice, thanks for any help!

#2 of 3 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted January 24 2013 - 07:32 AM

The cheapest 1080p 3D projector I know of is the Benq W1070, about $1,000. There are a couple 720p "3D ready" projectors for about $600: Optoma HD66 and Acer 5360. BUT you will have to buy additional gear to make it work(cost unknown).

#3 of 3 rangerofheaven

rangerofheaven

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 07:38 AM

So what is the difference really, then, if you don't mind explaining it? The way I would imagine it is something like this: A true 3D projector comes with glasses and works out of the box. a "3d ready" projector is capable of properly displaying a 3d image but needs some kind of hardware for the glasses to display it properly. I suppose that a true 3D projector's image would be more immersive and display more properly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users