What's new

Putting together my first home media server. Need Advice. (1 Viewer)

Paul Hinsdale

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Hinsdale
So I am building a new house and had the whole thing wired with cat-6 with multiple locations in each room. I want to set up a home media server and have not been able to find as much information as I would have thought. Any advice from anyone who has set one up before would be much appreciated. I will be purchasing a new desktop for the house as all I have are laptops and tablets right now. Any suggestions on anything special it should have? At this point I will have all of my a/v equipment in the office being controlled by ir repeater from the living room. I will have a receiver with all hdmi input/outputs, a ps3 for blu ray and gaming, a wii for gaming, standard comcast hd box with recorder. Alll of this is not problem for me to run. I want to buy a drobo and not have to set up a raid. the backup feature of the drobo is my main attraction after spending all the time ripping dvds to the system. From what I have seen so far PLEX seems to be the software that will work the best to control everything. Other than this I am open to any opinions or suggestions. Money is a concern as the new house is taking most of my funds up to get built so please keep that in mind when responding. Thanks in advance, Paul.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use a dual drive ZyXel media server for both backing up my PC's and streaming audio and video to a Roku box on my TV. http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-NSA320-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B004UBU3SY Both drives are 2TB Western Digital SATA models configured as 2 drives. I don't like using JBOD since you lose data if either drive fails. I plan on adding a USB drive to this NAS box and use it as a backup of my media files. I spent a LOT of time ripping music. Once I start adding my DVDs & BRs to this server, I will have a lot of time invested in this. If I run out of room, I can even program one ZyXel to FTP files to another ZyXel NAS on my network.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks