Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CHINA BEACH IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 of 72 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm sure they did their best, and it sounds like they licensed the bulk of the music, so I'm going to forgive them for skipping a few. It is what it is. My only hope is that they release it on blu as well.

#22 of 72 Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 05:55 AM

I never watched this (or much TV in general) in the late '80s so am looking forward to it as a brand new show. I won't recognize any music substitutions but am glad to hear they secured as much as they could. This gives hope for The Wonder Years and a proper WKRP--both of which have a bigger fanbase than China Beach.

#23 of 72 Qrusher14242

Qrusher14242

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 10:17 PM

This is great news! I've only seen a few episodes, but they were pretty bad quality and i never hunted down better ones....I can't wait to get this.

#24 of 72 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,916 posts

Posted December 21 2012 - 06:20 PM

I've got a feeling it's not going to that bad. Keep in mind the large amount of 1960's music TIME-LIFE already has under licence for their CD compilations. so it's not much of a jump for them to get additional clearances for the shows. I guess that is the whole point of these being released by TIME-LIFE - they can handle the clearances due to their relationship with the record companies to begin with.

I also wonder if TIME-LIFE might be planing a Tie-in CD set.

#25 of 72 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted December 22 2012 - 05:05 AM

Despite my best efforts of preserving several programs, they all caught a white mold and there was nothing I cold do to preserve them.

Yeah, there was, you could have stored them properly. Like not in a basement or somewhere damp. Standing up on their side in a dry environment, I have never heard of a tape having a problem.

#26 of 72 Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 22 2012 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, there was, you could have stored them properly. Like not in a basement or somewhere damp. Standing up on their side in a dry environment, I have never heard of a tape having a problem.

I did not have a basement. I stored them on their sides in my bedroom, against an interior wall. I stored them in the boxes they came in. I handled them carefully. They were not by any air conditioners, heaters, pipes, or windows and I generally kept the room dark.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#27 of 72 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 02:57 AM

The tv tape god strikes again. Tape degrades. DVD doesn't. Welcome to the 21st century.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#28 of 72 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted December 24 2012 - 03:14 AM

I guess all of the fighting in this thread is appropriate given that CHINA BEACH was set in a war zone...

• ManW_TheUncool likes this
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#29 of 72 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,200 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 03:27 AM

I guess all of the fighting in this thread is appropriate given that CHINA BEACH was set in a war zone...

:laugh:

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,704( 733 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,379  :biggrin:  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#30 of 72 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,916 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 09:07 AM

The tv tape god strikes again. Tape degrades. DVD doesn't. Welcome to the 21st century.

Pressed DVD will eventually degrade - it'll take decades, but they will.

#31 of 72 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 09:22 AM

Pressed DVD will eventually degrade - it'll take decades, but they will.

I'm sure my dvd's will last until the 22nd century. I'll be a distant memory at that point, so it won't matter what happens to them after I'm gone.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#32 of 72 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 12:40 PM

It's a point well worth mentioning more than once. Simple fact is there were forms of TV show collecting long before DVD. As far as I see it, Neil is free to bring it up as much as he likes. In general, I find Neil's post informative and I have no problem with him expressing his views or options.

Ditto for me. This was something that people should have been doing for quite a while before DVD, especially with options like Super VHS and Super Beta that were out there.

#33 of 72 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted December 28 2012 - 11:24 PM

I've got approximately half of the CHINA BEACH episodes recorded to VHS and then transferred to DVD, figuring that this set would never come out. I only managed a little less than half due to the original network scheduling quirks. CHINA BEACH generally aired on Wednesday night at 10 PM on ABC, and was often directly opposite QUANTUM LEAP on NBC. So depending on my needs to see THAT show at the time, the time-shifting capabilities of the two VHS machines in the house at the time, the situation with antennas and cables, and my own abilities to remember and set said VHS recorders - that's what I ended up with.

I think most of the third season was lost due to yet another schedule conflict with either a show on CBS, or it had something to do with the local scheduling of STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION in the hour prior. I know it was a complicated mess, and the first rule is "you can't tape everything", but I managed to get most of the early episodes, next to nothing from Season 3, and the final six episodes that aired in June and July of 1991. ABC was apparently through with the show and burned off the last episodes as new originals in the summertime, after half a year of bouncing around on Monday and Saturday nights.

The final moving message from the last CHINA BEACH:

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#34 of 72 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted December 29 2012 - 10:19 PM

Ditto for me. This was something that people should have been doing for quite a while before DVD, especially with options like Super VHS and Super Beta that were out there.

I don't think people were routinely recording tv shows until slightly after China Beach finished its run. I think that hobby really took off in the mid-90s. That was the time when vcr and blank video tape prices really started coming down. Before that, it was considered a bit pricey to record an entire show with a lot of episodes. I personally began recording shows in late '83, but most other people didn't seem to be doing it for a long, long time after that. I had, for example, the entire run of Dynasty/The Colbys on 36 vhs tapes (recorded at slp) and people would come to my house and be absolutely scandalized that I would do such a thing. They didn't understand why anyone would save a tv show for further use. I taped a handful of favorite shows in the 80s and they took up a lot of space and I loved it, but no one else I knew was doing it. I taped everything in the 90s and early 2000's. I had all of Star Trek TNG and Beverly Hills 90210 & Melrose Place, all of Third Rock from the Sun and dozens more. I threw 'em all out, to save space, as soon as they all come out on dvd. But I really don't think anyone but enthusiasts were taping entire series prior to the mid-90s. There's no reason to chastise those who weren't doing it, because only very few of us were doing it.

#35 of 72 Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley 
 There's no reason to chastise those who weren't doing it, because only very few of us were doing it.

Agreed. People have different life circumstances so it is ridiculous for some people to tell other people what they should have done 20-25 years ago. I was a teenager when I purchased my first VCR in 1983. It was a beta and the blank tapes were $8 bucks. That was a lot of money to spend for a teenager with a part-time job and going to school. I recorded the shows I absolutely had to have. Sure, I wished I would had recorded more, but I couldn't afford it at the time or maybe I wasn't really obsessed enough with a show to keep it.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#36 of 72 Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 10:17 AM

WE WANT CHINA BEACH, WE WANT CHINA BEACH, WE WANT CHINA BEACH...

#37 of 72 Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 390 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 04:24 AM

Then you shall have it. Pre-orders start today, and the set expects to ship the week of April 15th. Press release and packaging pics here: http://www.tvshowson...ollection/18032 It looks like multiple discs housed in standard cases - nice to see a smart decision. :)

#38 of 72 Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 08:54 AM

Fantastic news, thanks for the update, Traveling Matt.

#39 of 72 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted February 05 2013 - 10:17 AM

Okay, 268 cleared songs... Is there a list out there of how many songs there were in the network run, and how close to original airing this will really be with (an amazing) 268 cleared songs? Yeah, I'm ordering anyway, because it's as close as we'll ever get, and it sounds like it's going to be nearly perfect... but I'm still curious.

#40 of 72 Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted February 05 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'm looking for a list but can't find a complete one.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users