What's new

CHINA BEACH IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
The Obsolete Man said:
Okay, 268 cleared songs... Is there a list out there of how many songs there were in the network run, and how close to original airing this will really be with (an amazing) 268 cleared songs?
I couldn't find a definitive song list, but at 62 shows, 268 songs is 4.3 per episode!

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Pre-ordered my CHINA BEACH DVD set on the Time Life website - Man, I have waited years for this. While searching the web, I found, on actor Robert Picardo's website, some new cast reunion interviews with Dana Delaney, Marg Helgenberger, Robert Picardo, Michael Boatman, Chloe Webb and John Wells (Producer/Writer). Check out the link (You can probably also find this by searching on YouTube): http://robertpicardo.com/

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Didn't think we would ever have a chance to see this come to DVD, at least with as much of the music that will be included. I will definitely be ordering this, but would also like to know what songs are included.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I remember back when this show debuted and I think I watched maybe one episode and wasn't into it... but I was so much younger then and my interests are so much more diverse now. Now I'm intrigued and would love to be able to watch the show. But it's a take-it-or-leave-it $200 offer. That's $50 per season which would be a lot to pay for a Blu-ray set, let alone DVD! I just wish there was a way to watch the show without having to make such a huge investment.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Mark-P said:
I remember back when this show debuted and I think I watched maybe one episode and wasn't into it... but I was so much younger then and my interests are so much more diverse now. Now I'm intrigued and would love to be able to watch the show. But it's a take-it-or-leave-it $200 offer. That's $50 per season which would be a lot to pay for a Blu-ray set, let alone DVD! I just wish there was a way to watch the show without having to make such a huge investment.
Hang loose for a few months, It will wind up in someone's "Bargain Bin" for $20 a Season, or even cheaper! It may also be offered by someone as a "Doorbuster" during November's "National Day of Insanity". :laugh:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Regulus said:
Hang loose for a few months, It will wind up in someone's "Bargain Bin" for $20 a Season, or even cheaper! It may also be offered by someone as a "Doorbuster" during November's "National Day of Insanity". :laugh:
Not gonna happen. China Beach will be available exclusively through Time Life and they will never put it on sale. It might be possible to get it second hand on ebay but I wouldn't count on it. :(

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Time-Life never discounts the price of the products they sell. I also assume the price is higher to pay for the music rights.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember when they first sold The Six Million Dollar Man they wanted something like $250.00 for it, then a year later the price went down to $112.00. A similar thing happened to their The Man from U.N.C.L.E. set IICRC.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
"I just wish there was a way to watch the show without having to make such a huge investment." My feelings as well. I think I saw one episode of this and thought it looked interesting, but never gave it a chance. After seeing Dana Delaney on Castle and watching Body of Proof, I've become a fan and would like to get a chance to see this. Unfortunately, $200 to watch a show I might end up liking just doesn't make any sense. For those who are fans, I'm happy for you. Unfortunately, for those who would like to be able to check it out without putting out the big bucks, I guess we're out of luck.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Everybody, go to the TV SHOWS ON DVD website. There is an extensive news release with the list of music by each and every episode, 302 songs in all. ENJOY, its going to be some groovy listening this Spring.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Regulus said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember when they first sold The Six Million Dollar Man they wanted something like $250.00 for it, then a year later the price went down to $112.00.
That's correct. There were several promos for the SM$M set within the first year. I ordered it on a 20% off promo with free shipping. It's currently on sale for $199

sullum

Agent
Real Name
Sam
What i'd like to knw is what songs they COULDN'T clear!
I know of one. During the China Beach's original run I remember an episode that when returning from commercial a Vietnamese person in the "Jet Set" (the name of the on base bar) lip synced a song from the jukebox. This was a Jimmy Dean "B" side song that I had when I was young on an old 45 called "I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake (But I'll Go Chasin' Wimmin)" (I'm pretty sure all the spelling is correct). Never mind what the title meant (to an impressionable young mind), it was just a fun little country novelty song. I have already ordered the set, but a couple of years ago, back when this release seemed an impossibility I obtained the crappy bootleg copy, it didn't have the song either. It's not a big deal, but I remember seeing that scene and laughing my ass off because I thought I'd never hear of that song again!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
sullum said:
I know of one. During the China Beach's original run I remember an episode that when returning from commercial a Vietnamese person in the "Jet Set" (the name of the on base bar) lip synced a song from the jukebox. This was a Jimmy Dean "B" side song that I had when I was young on an old 45 called "I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake (But I'll Go Chasin' Wimmin)" (I'm pretty sure all the spelling is correct). Never mind what the title meant (to an impressionable young mind), it was just a fun little country novelty song. I have already ordered the set, but a couple of years ago, back when this release seemed an impossibility I obtained the crappy bootleg copy, it didn't have the song either. It's not a big deal, but I remember seeing that scene and laughing my ass off because I thought I'd never hear of that song again!
It's on Columbia's greatest hits release of Jimmy Dean. It was on the original LP and it's also on the CD reissue. :cool:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I liked the handful episodes I saw back during my college days and had been hoping for it to arrive on DVD, but guess I'll probably need to wait longer as $200 for the set is a bit much for me -- and I do have too much of a backlog to catch up on anyhow. I'm sure my former-coworker friend won't hesitate to jump on it at that price though. _Man_

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Hey everyone, I just checked the TIME LIFE website ("Track My Order"). Yesterday the status was "Backordered", today it says that "Shipment is being prepared for delivery". Have a great weekend - and it looks like next week, we'll all be watching CHINA BEACH!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks