What's new

CHINA BEACH IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
CHINA BEACH arrived today, haven't started watching it yet, but just wanted to comment on the packaging - Really nice slip case, has the China Beach sunset scene with silhouette and chopper, and 2 metal "dogtags" on the front. Inside contains 5 DVD cases (one for each of the 4 seasons and one for the extras/bonus features w/autographs of the cast on its cover). Also a really cool booklet with profiles, letters and nice color pictures. And for you music enthusiasts, on the back cover it states: "Includes over 300 classic hit songs as they were played in the original broadcasts".

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Watched the first 4 episodes of the first season last night. The only omission I really noticed so far was in the episode "Hot Spell". There's a scene in the club where Laurette (Chloe Webb) performs a song "White Cliffs Of Dover" for the visiting brass per Lila's request. But Laurette does it her own way: She sings the first part of the song slowly, dressed in a trenchcoat and hat, but halfway through, strips down to a go-go dress and boots, and performs the rest of the song in a wild Janis Joplin style. The entire scene was cut from the dressing room until she is on the beach afterwards with Boonie. Too bad, it was a great scene feauturing the outstanding Chloe Webb. But at least we finally get China Beach on DVD - Great directing, writing and best of all, the outstanding performances from the entire cast.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Finished watching the 1st season and half of the 2nd season of CHINA BEACH. Chloe Webb and Brian Wimmer ("Boonie") stand out in the 1st season closer "Chao Ong", and in the 2nd season, Dana Delaney, Marg Helgenberger and Nan Woods all deliver powerful performances, particularly in the "Tet" episode. The extras are comprehensive and intriguing. I always wondered why Nan Woods ("Cherry") retired from acting after CHINA BEACH, she was such a gifted actress.

CHINA BEACH IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well that certainly solves my dilemma. Let's see, get the whole series for $200 from Time-Life or buy individual seasons from Amazon for $22 each? (Hint: there are only 4 seasons so it's less than half the price) I will definitely go for the individual seasons.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It might not be that much of a bargain - the first season is a 'short' season, so seasons 2, 3, and 4 might be much higher priced. Still I imagine it would still be cheaper.I'm just glad this is released - finally.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Halfway through Season 3 now, man this series was intense. I am a tightwad but China Beach's release on DVD was my "Holy Grail", so I splurged (Plus when you start getting older, you better go for it). Whether you buy the whole set now, or the individual season sets, you can't go wrong - CHINA BEACH is the BEST!!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Glad your grail was released
2s8lbms.jpg

I've never seen the show but a friend is letting me sample it. I've been interested in the show for a while but hadn't decided on it yet.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Almost finished watching the 4th season, had almost forgotten how outstanding this final season's episodes were, jumping back and forth through time, with powerhouse writing, directing and acting, especially by Dana Delaney, Marg Helgenberger, Robert Picardo and Brian Wimmer (Boonie's 2 parter One Giant Leap/One Small Step was particularly gut-wrenching, as well as Marg's performance as KC during the fall of Saigon). LONG LIVE CHINA BEACH!!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My local Costco had China Beach. But get this, while other retailers only have season one, Costco has seasons 1&2 bundled together for $35!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Okay I've got the season 1 & 2 bundle from Costo. I'm a little dissappointed to find that random episodes are mono while most are in stereo. There are even two-parters where one part is in stereo and the other one mono. Why hasn't anyone mentioned this before?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks