Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Breaking News: Paramount and Warner Bros. Announce Home Media Distribution Deal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 of 75 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 03:50 PM

Here's a thought -- perhaps this deal can get the two Peanuts features Paramount owns Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown and Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!!) released considering their unusual absence compared to Warner Bros' commitment in releasing the Peanuts features they hold the rights to.

#42 of 75 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 12:19 AM

Some random thoughts Is this any different from the deal Warner Bros. has with the Sam Goldwyn company ? People seemed pretty excited about Warner releasing Guy and Dolls , The Best Years of Our Lives, and Hans Christian Andersen on blu for the first time. They were happy that MGM/Fox lost the rights to these pictures. As far as My Fair Lady that unfortunately is a CBS film not Paramount. Not quite sure why Paramount is doing this. They are holding on to the rights to their most popular franchise films like Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Transformers, and probably Mission Impossible so it doesn't appear that Paramount Home Video is disappearing. It will just distribute very few films. I believe Paramount Home Video stayed with Viacom when the company split into CBS Inc and the new Viacom. If CBS owns Paramount Home Video than this deal would make more sense as Paramount was removing many of its films from its former sibling company probably because Warner Bros. offered a better deal. When Warner Bros took over the distribution of the MGM library most of the releases were the same as the previous MGM/UA video releases ( except the Wizard Of Oz which was their first MGM release) I am sure anything that is currently in release via Paramount Home Video will be the same via Warner Home Video. I am sorry that the deal does not include TV rights as I would love to see more Paramount titles on TCM. Since this is only a three year deal and it takes time to restore and/or produce a HD master I would assume anything new to blu ray would already have a HD master ready to go. Things like the Audrey Hepburn films already released in blu in Europe. Since this is a US/Canada deal only, I would assume any blu rays will be region locked. Not a good thing for bargain hunters or seekers of hard to find films. Hopefully somebody somewhere will post a list of the 600 films included in this deal.

#43 of 75 OFFLINE   kagemusha98

kagemusha98

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 01:51 AM

LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER finally????!!!

#44 of 75 OFFLINE   John Doe

John Doe

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 02:39 AM

I am guardedly happy about this Paramount deal. If between Olive and Criterion and Warner Bros we can eventually see (in alphabetical order) The ADDAMS FAMILY films, ATLANTIC CITY, BAD NEWS BEARS, CATCH-22, THE COURT JESTER, THE DEAD ZONE, DON'T LOOK NOW, DRAGONSLAYER, THE ELEPHANT MAN, FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, FUNNY FACE, THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, HATAR!, HUD, MARATHON MAN, THE NAKED JUNGLE, THE NAKED PREY, NASHVILLE, NEVADA SMITH, NORTH DALLAS FORTY, NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY, THE NUTTY PROFESSOR (J. Lewis), THE ODD COUPLE, ORDINARY PEOPLE, PAPER MOON, THE PARALLAX VIEW, A PLACE IN THE SUN, PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM, THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYIST, PRETTY BABY, RAGTIME, REDS, ROMAN HOLIDAY, ROMEO AND JULIET (1968), SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISHER, SECONDS, SERPICO, SHANE, A SIMPLE PLAN, THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD, STALAG 17, TARGETS, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, TESTAMENT, WAR OF THE WORLDS, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, WILL PENNY, YOU CAN COUNT ON ME... and of course, add your own favorites. .

Great list!Would love to see ALL of them on Blu-ray!

#45 of 75 OFFLINE   John Doe

John Doe

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 02:46 AM

LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER finally????!!!

If I were you, I wouldn't have high expectations on this one.Perhaps via Olive,but certainly not via Paramount/Warner.Unless you were referring to WAC's MOD DVD?

#46 of 75 OFFLINE   t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 07:57 AM

Some random thoughts Is this any different from the deal Warner Bros. has with the Sam Goldwyn company ? People seemed pretty excited about Warner releasing Guy and Dolls , The Best Years of Our Lives, and Hans Christian Andersen on blu for the first time. They were happy that MGM/Fox lost the rights to these pictures. As far as My Fair Lady that unfortunately is a CBS film not Paramount. Not quite sure why Paramount is doing this. They are holding on to the rights to their most popular franchise films like Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Transformers, and probably Mission Impossible so it doesn't appear that Paramount Home Video is disappearing. It will just distribute very few films. I believe Paramount Home Video stayed with Viacom when the company split into CBS Inc and the new Viacom. If CBS owns Paramount Home Video than this deal would make more sense as Paramount was removing many of its films from its former sibling company probably because Warner Bros. offered a better deal. When Warner Bros took over the distribution of the MGM library most of the releases were the same as the previous MGM/UA video releases ( except the Wizard Of Oz which was their first MGM release) I am sure anything that is currently in release via Paramount Home Video will be the same via Warner Home Video. I am sorry that the deal does not include TV rights as I would love to see more Paramount titles on TCM. Since this is only a three year deal and it takes time to restore and/or produce a HD master I would assume anything new to blu ray would already have a HD master ready to go. Things like the Audrey Hepburn films already released in blu in Europe. Since this is a US/Canada deal only, I would assume any blu rays will be region locked. Not a good thing for bargain hunters or seekers of hard to find films. Hopefully somebody somewhere will post a list of the 600 films included in this deal.

I would also like to know which films are part of this deal too. It would be great to have several OOP titles released through this deal as well as some new titles never before released to either DVD or Blu-ray.

#47 of 75 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,841 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 06 2012 - 09:50 AM

The more I read this announcement, the more it sounds like the MGM/Fox deal with Warners just distributing the Blu-ray, DVD and streaming of the 600 titles.  Since it is a 3 year deal then it does not cover the titles that Olive had under licensee or Criterion.  It also allows Paramount a MOD program in the same way that MGM/Fox had, where Fox controlled the distribution of the MGM MOD titles.  The question I have is does Warner pick the titles or does Paramount and of those 600 titles, will Paramount do any upgrades in the transfers, for with the agreement is only 3 years, I do not see Warner paying for any improvements.  I just keep going back to the first paragraph where they say they have an alliance and entered into distribution of ...

This seems like a logical move for Paramount, who does not really wish to handle their classic titles and has seen success with the Olive model.  I am sure they will receive a larger amount from the Warner contract than with Olive.  This also does not seem to indicate there will not be another deal with Olive, at least in the next three years.

I embrace this deal if it will allow more titles released and it should, I just think there are more questions then answers.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#48 of 75 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 04:48 PM

Of all the old majors only Paramount did not have a DVD-r program. Even Universal released a few films such as "A Night To Remember" through the TCM shop as a DVDr. With this deal the Warner Archive gets to expand to include Paramount films. They will now have films from MGM, RKO, Warner Bros., Columbia, and Paramount. Basically all the old majors except Fox and Universal. Thinking about this deal it seems that Warner Bros interest is to expand the Warner Archive rather than release older films on blu ray. I am sure we will get some new classic blu rays but I would guess the majority will be Warner Archive releases. As many have said Warner Bros. has many films it owns from MGM, Warner Bros, and RKO from the 30's to '80s that they have not released on blu. Why would they flood the market with Paramount films from the 50's to the '80's in blu. I am sure a few films will come out in blu, maybe 10 a year from Paramount. That would be 30 new to blu films over the 3 year deal.

#49 of 75 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 06:42 PM

To my mind, this is a really impressive expansion of WB and their distribution library. I actually think its too bad that this deal was not struck a year ago as I like to think WB could have done a better job handling the Paramount library for the centennial. Just an opinion anyway. Needless to say, between this deal, the 90th anniversary and the proliferation of the Archive program (love it or hate it, it IS successfully getting out titles we ordinarily would not have access to), 2013 is shaping up to be very big for WB and is repositioning them as the class in the Blu ray and DVD market currently. As for repackages, it's really simple folks - if you don't want it, don't buy it. I'll be doing that, unless there is a major upgrade of extras and materials, for Oz and GWTW next year.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#50 of 75 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,903 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 08:14 PM

Since this is a US/Canada deal only, I would assume any blu rays will be region locked.

Twilight Time and Olive BRDs are region free and they are, ostensibly, catering for the USA and Canada only. (Ignore what DVD Beaver says about Olive BRDs being Zone A locked. He doesn't know what he's talking about)

#51 of 75 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,841 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 06 2012 - 11:36 PM

Three years, 600 titles, that would be 200 titles a year.  I just don't think that is possible.  I would guess it could be like the Twilight Time agreement with Fox in that they have 200 titles to pick and choose and if one is not up to par as far as the transfer is concerned they can throw it back.  I just hope this gets us SAMSON AND DELI AH on Blu-ray.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#52 of 75 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 07 2012 - 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Garysb 

Is this any different from the deal Warner Bros. has with the Sam Goldwyn company ?

IIRC, yes. In the case of the Samuel Goldwyn Library, Warner specifically licensed the titles. So, that was a deal for both control of preparing/scheduling and distributing/marketing. By comparison, this deal with Paramount appears to only be the latter.

The big key in this deal is the part that most on this forum will not care about: streaming and download distribution.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#53 of 75 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,569 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 07 2012 - 06:59 PM

In response to Garysb above and his wish that TCM would strike a deal with Paramount, a few years ago Robert Osborne told the editor of a magazine called, I think, FILMS OF THE GOLDEN AGE, that TCM had done just that. At that time he said once TCM's contract with SONY/COLUMBIA ran out they would start showing Paramount films on TCM. But that's the last I heard of it. And, of course, this was for the post 40's PARAMOUNT library and not the classics owned by Universal. Although it may have included some silent films as it's my understanding PARAMOUNT still controls their silents collection.

#54 of 75 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 03:54 AM

In response to Garysb above and his wish that TCM would strike a deal with Paramount, a few years ago Robert Osborne told the editor of a magazine called, I think, FILMS OF THE GOLDEN AGE, that TCM had done just that. At that time he said once TCM's contract with SONY/COLUMBIA ran out they would start showing Paramount films on TCM. But that's the last I heard of it. And, of course, this was for the post 40's PARAMOUNT library and not the classics owned by Universal. Although it may have included some silent films as it's my understanding PARAMOUNT still controls their silents collection.

I bet he was thinking about the Paramounts owned by Universal. Personally, I think Olive is doing pretty well with releasing Paramounts from teh 1950s and beyond. I just hope they get to Secret of the Incas.

#55 of 75 OFFLINE   Oliver Siegel

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 06:06 AM

Some member posted the following at monsterkidclassichorrorforum: "I e-mailed a friend at Olive. He says they are not affected by this in any way, as the Warner deal is for mostly post-1980 titles that appeal to the "Wal-Mart" crowd, and does not include any Republic pictures. The Olive titles, which are mostly "deep buff" films, are safe."

#56 of 75 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 07:36 AM

I can't imagine anyone seriously thought Warner was getting Republic titles. The blu-ray deal in regards to newer titles also isn't much of a surprise. Though I imagine if the Warner Archive aspect of the deal is accurate that it will include deep catalog material.

#57 of 75 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 02:24 PM

Well, color me disappointed. Basically, sounds like WB may have gotten rights to make some money if they want to reissue the Jack Ryan movies, maybe the Treks. But if they are limited to 1980 and after, frankly, that's a real disappointment as most of Paramounts' good stuff is from the 30s to the 50s.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#58 of 75 OFFLINE   ricktech12

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 05:46 AM

I really hope 1492: Conquest of Paradise was one of those 600 hundred titles and if so they are aware it's not out on DVD or Blu-ray in the USA and will release it. It's the only Ridley Scott film in the USA to not recieve some kind of DVD or Blu-ray release, inexcusable it has dragged on this long, no one can watch it if it's not on DVD, Blu-ray unless you import it.

#59 of 75 OFFLINE   t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 08:10 AM

I really hope 1492: Conquest of Paradise was one of those 600 hundred titles and if so they are aware it's not out on DVD or Blu-ray in the USA and will release it. It's the only Ridley Scott film in the USA to not recieve some kind of DVD or Blu-ray release, inexcusable it has dragged on this long, no one can watch it if it's not on DVD, Blu-ray unless you import it.

I hope so too. I also hope that Michael Mann's The Keep is part of this deal just so we can finally have it on DVD and Blu-ray.

#60 of 75 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted October 11 2012 - 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by MattPeriolat 

Well, color me disappointed. Basically, sounds like WB may have gotten rights to make some money if they want to reissue the Jack Ryan movies, maybe the Treks. But if they are limited to 1980 and after, frankly, that's a real disappointment as most of Paramounts' good stuff is from the 30s to the 50s.

You're in for an even BIGGER disappointment as that part of Paramount's classic catalog is currently owned by Universal...Paramount sold it to them 3 decades ago!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users