What's new

Breaking News: Paramount and Warner Bros. Announce Home Media Distribution Deal (1 Viewer)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat /t/324225/breaking-news-paramount-and-warner-bros-announce-home-media-distribution-deal/30#post_3987063
Well, color me disappointed. Basically, sounds like WB may have gotten rights to make some money if they want to reissue the Jack Ryan movies, maybe the Treks. But if they are limited to 1980 and after, frankly, that's a real disappointment as most of Paramounts' good stuff is from the 30s to the 50s.
You're in for an even BIGGER disappointment as that part of Paramount's classic catalog is currently owned by Universal...Paramount sold it to them 3 decades ago!!!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Garysb said:
Some random thoughts
Is this any different from the deal Warner Bros. has with the Sam Goldwyn company ? People seemed pretty excited about Warner releasing Guy and Dolls , The Best Years of Our Lives, and Hans Christian Andersen on blu for the first time. They were happy that MGM/Fox lost the rights to these pictures. As far as My Fair Lady that unfortunately is a CBS film not Paramount. Not quite sure why Paramount is doing this. They are holding on to the rights to their most popular franchise films like Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Transformers, and probably Mission Impossible so it doesn't appear that Paramount Home Video is disappearing. It will just distribute very few films. I believe Paramount Home Video stayed with Viacom when the company split into CBS Inc and the new Viacom. If CBS owns Paramount Home Video than this deal would make more sense as Paramount was removing many of its films from its former sibling company probably because Warner Bros. offered a better deal.
When Warner Bros took over the distribution of the MGM library most of the releases were the same as the previous MGM/UA video releases ( except the Wizard Of Oz which was their first MGM release)
I am sure anything that is currently in release via Paramount Home Video will be the same via Warner Home Video. I am sorry that the deal does not include TV rights as I would love to see more Paramount titles on TCM. Since this is only a three year deal and it takes time to restore and/or produce a HD master I would assume anything new to blu ray would already have a HD master ready to go. Things like the Audrey Hepburn films already released in blu in Europe.
Since this is a US/Canada deal only, I would assume any blu rays will be region locked. Not a good thing for bargain hunters or seekers of hard to find films.
Hopefully somebody somewhere will post a list of the 600 films included in this deal.
CBS owns the rights to everything TV, where Paramount owns the theatrical. The perfect example is Star Trek. CBS owns all the TV shows, where as Paramount owns the feature films. This deal seems to be only with Paramount, so I imagine it will not include any TV product.
Doug

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
lukejosephchung said:
You're in for an even BIGGER disappointment as that part of Paramount's classic catalog is currently owned by Universal...Paramount sold it to them 3 decades ago!!!
Well, at least Universal is finally getting some of those movies out on Blu. But that may be the reason Paramount's centennial celebration has been such a bust with just one classic, Wings, getting out on Blu. Ah well.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat /t/324225/breaking-news-paramount-and-warner-bros-announce-home-media-distribution-deal/60#post_3987394
Well, at least Universal is finally getting some of those movies out on Blu. But that may be the reason Paramount's centennial celebration has been such a bust with just one classic, Wings, getting out on Blu. Ah well.

They have licensed several notable films to Criterion, both from the silent era (Von Sternberg) and 50s-70s (Rosemary's Baby, Harold & Maude, etc.)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
You all realize the real reason Warner Brothers is releasing Paramounts library? To have a monopoly on Christopher Columbus themed films:
HARE WE GO: A great Bugs Bunny short with Bugs as a shipmate of Columbus
THE STORY OF MANKIND: thhere is a Columbus segment
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: a 1985 Lorimar miniseries
THE MAGIC VOYAGE: an animated movie on Warner Home video
"True Adventures of Christopher Columbus"- A BBc series
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: THE DISCOVERY - a WB film from 1992
and Paramounts wondrous 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE-the true reason behind this deal-and a great reason
And dont forget....Director Christopher Columbus of GREMLINS, GOONIES and HARRY POTTER fame...all WB films!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
lukejosephchung said:
Actually more like five almost six decades ago in the 1950's . The films were sold to MCA before MCA purchased Universal . The films were sold by Paramount to raise money and purchased by MCA to lease to TV. I don't think one studio would knowingly sell their older films to another studio at least not in the 1950's. It was the company that purchased the films that later acquired another studio as was this case or purchaser itself was acquired by another studio as was the case with Associated Artist Productions which purchased most of the pre 1950 Warner Bros films before being purchased by United Artists. UA was later purchased by MGM to form MGM/UA which was purchased by Ted Turner, who sold the studio but kept the Warner Bros, MGM and RKO films that were part of the MGM/UA library . Ted Turner did sell the United Artist films like James Bond with the studio. Then of course Warner bought Turner Broadcasting and the pre 1950 Warner films were at last reunited with post 1950 films and there was much joy in Burbank . We get some great blu rays of 1930 and 1940 Warner Bros films and cartoons.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Louis Letizia said:
You all realize the real reason Warner Brothers is releasing Paramounts library? To have a monopoly on Christopher Columbus themed films:
HARE WE GO: A great Bugs Bunny short with Bugs as a shipmate of Columbus
THE STORY OF MANKIND: thhere is a Columbus segment
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: a 1985 Lorimar miniseries
THE MAGIC VOYAGE: an animated movie on Warner Home video
"True Adventures of Christopher Columbus"- A BBc series
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: THE DISCOVERY - a WB film from 1992
and Paramounts wondrous 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE-the true reason behind this deal-and a great reason
And dont forget....Director Christopher Columbus of GREMLINS, GOONIES and HARRY POTTER fame...all WB films!
Good one, haha. I have seen Christopher Columbus: The Discovery and it's average, they tried hard but it seemed so Hollywood and phony. Now 1492: Conquest Of Paradise is probably the best Columbus film ever made imo, it's very realistic, scenic and convincing enough for me. My only complaint is the actual first voyage isn't long enough in the film and it leaves out the return voyage back to Spain.
I think if Warner got Scott's 1492 it would be ashame to not release it in the USA on DVD, Blu like Paramount did. Releasing both 1992 Columbus films as a Blu-ray double-feature would be interesting. I saw CC:TD on VHS awhile back, I would give it another shot.

classicscaper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
There are literally hundreds of Paramount titles available for pre-order on Amazon. Do an Amazon search of "paramount catalog" under "movies and tv" and you will see then, A good chunk are blu-ray (most reissues) and then some DVDs. Almost all of the titles have a release date of 1/1/13. Also, most of them are in the $10-$15 range.
Now is this case of sloppy listings on Amazon's part, or is Warner Bros. really planning to dump hundreds of films into the marketplace on January 13th? If so, I will be interested to see how it turns out, especially at those prices.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Bits says the following (as of last week):

Warner has also begun soliciting many of those catalog titles recently licensed for BD and DVD release from Paramount. Watch for a huge list of them to start arriving in stores on 1/1 on both formats. It doesn't appear to include anything new yet - it look to all be titles that have been previously available.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Any notable OOP titles in those new listings?
One so far: Paint Your Wagon (DVD)
Edit: A few others of note
The Desperate Hours
The Parallax View
We're No Angels (best deal at $5.95--completely smashes the current OOP prices)
Atlantic City
Sorry, Wrong Number
The DVD prices range from $5.95 - $12.95
Of course the ultra-rare Funeral in Berlin remains ultra rare (in R1)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jason_V said:
The Bits says the following (as of last week):
Warner has also begun soliciting many of those catalog titles recently licensed for BD and DVD release from Paramount. Watch for a huge list of them to start arriving in stores on 1/1 on both formats. It doesn't appear to include anything new yet - it look to all be titles that have been previously available.
Isn't a bluray release of The Great Gatsby, new?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Richard V /t/324225/breaking-news-paramount-and-warner-bros-announce-home-media-distribution-deal/60#post_4011826
Isn't a bluray release of The Great Gatsby, new?

I have no clue. I didn't go title by title to see what was coming.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, The Great Gatsby is new, but a lot of catalog titles released beforehand are coming out again in January. Those waiting on Zodiac on BRD again have their chance next month.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
How sure are we that the new ZODIAC release will be identical to the old one? I know that the Amazon listing says almost nothing, but the ultra paranoid, Joe-Pesci-in-JFK part of my personality can't help but notice it doesn't say "Director's Cut" like all the other DC releases do.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Plus, Zodiac could be the single disc release (that you can currently get from Amazon.co.uk) instead of the original double-disc release. (I don't know how the content compares, but the single disc seemed to have all the documentaries of the double disc set.)

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I think the original double-disc release had the movie on a disc to itself, and the single disc release has movie and features all on the same disc.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
What have we seen since this deal? I'm still waiting for--ORDINARY PEOPLE--RAGTIME---PLAY IT AGAIN SAM--CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD----YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES--DAY OF THE LOCUST--NOBODYS FOOL.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
trajan said:
What have we seen since this deal? I'm still waiting for-- ...

At this point, it appears the most "visible" output of this Paramount deal with Warner, is Warner releasing a bunch of multi-movie packs (both dvd and bluray) which might include catalog movies from Warner, Paramount, New Line, etc ...

Something disappointing, but not surprising that a lot of it was just straight re-packagings/re-releases.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
trajan said:
What have we seen since this deal?

Specifically, the following were released new-to-Blu in the US via Warner:

The Addams Family (1991)

Airplane II: The Sequel (1982)

Congo (1995)

Death Wish (1974)

El Dorado (1966)

Eurotrip (2004)

Flashdance (1983)

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)

Funny Face (1957)

The Great Gatsby (1974)

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)

Hatari! (1962)

Internal Affairs (1990)

Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)

Jennifer 8 (1992)

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003)

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)

Marathon Man (1976)

The Nutty Professor (1963)

The Odd Couple (1968)

An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)

The Presidio (1988)

Runaway Bride (1999)

Sabrina (1954)

Serpico (1973)

Shaft (2000)

Shane (1953)

Sliver (1993)

Snake Eyes (1998)

Stalag 17 (1953)

Stop-Loss (2008)

Surviving Christmas (2004)

The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)

Terms of Endearment (1983)

War and Peace (1956)

Zoolander (2001)

Confirmed to be upcoming:

American Gigolo (1980)

Vanilla Sky (2001)

Also during this time we continued to get many of the Paramount owned Republic library from Olive, and a few more Paramount titles from Criterion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks