What's new

New Physical format for UV? muvichip: movies anytime, anywhere, on any device (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Look like a new physical format is coming soon. Should be interesting...
http://www.indiegogo.com/muvichip
Chico, Calif.-based startup FlixChip has signed its first content deal with Film Chest Media Group and will begin offering USB drives pre-loaded with Film Chest content later this year.
The Muvichip is credit card sized with a logo of the content included, and includes a magnetically attached USB with pre-loaded film content. The first Muvichips will be available later this year, and content sold on the devices will be UltraViolet-enabled. Pricing will be “competitive with Blu-ray” the company said.
FlixChip also has developed a companion Muvifi device ($35) that wirelessly transmits the USB content to up to five WiFi-enabled devices. A gaming version of the Muvichip is also planned.
“The time is definitely now for the launch of filmed entertainment on the USB platform,” said FlixChip CEO and founder John Strisower. “The key thing is that the customer already owns the hardware they need for Muvichip playback and Muvifi local streaming, and they already know how to use it. Along with hard media, VOD and other digital delivery systems, Muvichip promises to be the next major content delivery platform.”
At launch Muvichip will be compatible across Apple, Android and PC devices, with more platform support expected in 2013.
Strisower said FlixChip is in discussions with four major studios and several independents on licensing their content for Muvichips. Film Chest will sell Muvichip-enabled content via Amazon, with FlixChip working to have other online and brick-and-mortar retailers carrying Muvichips by the start of 2013.
“FlixChip products represent a new yet familiar model for digital media distribution,” Strisower said. “We’re working with the world’s largest and smallest entertainment companies to bring their content to audiences. With the disappearance of optical drives from computers, optical media are becoming buggies. Our products represent the next step in the miniaturization and portability of filmed and gaming content.”
For more information, visit indiegogo.com/muvichip or facebook.com/flixchip.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/digital-evolution/flixchip-offer-usbs-pre-loaded-content-28449

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
USB with movies isn't a new concept, I don't think. I remember a GHOSTBUSTERS release that was essentially exactly what the article is describing sometime in the last few years.
And it doesn't sound like it's FOR UV, just that these little things are UV enabled.
All that said, I don't see the point in this. I don't understand what hole this is filling, and who it's filling a hole for.

sbuberl

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
MattAlbie60 said:
USB with movies isn't a new concept, I don't think. I remember a GHOSTBUSTERS release that was essentially exactly what the article is describing sometime in the last few years.
And it doesn't sound like it's FOR UV, just that these little things are UV enabled.
All that said, I don't see the point in this. I don't understand what hole this is filling, and who it's filling a hole for.
Looking at the intro video on their site, they're trying to market to people who want the benefits of a portable digital file, but who don't have the network speed/bandwidth to support a lot of streaming or downloading for their movie collection. The video also mentions people not watching to continually rip all their movies from their discs to take them on the road. And the hotspot device targets mobile users and people who do watch movies on the go.
And I think it only plays UV movies. It said in their FAQs that they would build their own Ultraviolet player apps for PC's and Mac's.
It's an interesting idea. Not sure if I would every use it. Looking at how much money they raised, I don't think this particular company will catch on fast enough for this to come to be a reality.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
sbuberl said:
Looking at the intro video on their site, they're trying to market to people who want the benefits of a portable digital file, but who don't have the network speed/bandwidth to support a lot of streaming or downloading for their movie collection.
I guess my ultimate question is "how many people fit those two specific circumstances," you know what I mean? For a lot of people, iTunes versions are already a portable digital file.
Likewise, every other part of the industry is moving towards "Lets get everyone online all the time as quickly as possible." So I think they very likely would have done really well with this five years ago, but to start it in (essentially) 2013 seems a wee bit too late.
But who knows. Maybe everyone will love the hell out of this.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
MattAlbie60 said:
I guess my ultimate question is "how many people fit those two specific circumstances," you know what I mean? For a lot of people, iTunes versions are already a portable digital file.
Likewise, every other part of the industry is moving towards "Lets get everyone online all the time as quickly as possible." So I think they very likely would have done really well with this five years ago, but to start it in (essentially) 2013 seems a wee bit too late.
But who knows. Maybe everyone will love the hell out of this.
This new format is for those who choose to purchase instead of rent their movies and television. For the sell thru market who wants a small foot print and allows portability. Also allows brick and motar to get their feet wet with Ultraviolet and giving UV movies a presence in their real world stores.
The studios know that if they are to woo the purchasing folks they must have something that is collectible, like DVD or BD. I don't believe BD is the last physical format as some suggest.
While trying to get everyone online is nice there are many people who will not purchase online films they want that physical copy.
This fills that void.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
sbuberl said:
Looking at the intro video on their site, they're trying to market to people who want the benefits of a portable digital file, but who don't have the network speed/bandwidth to support a lot of streaming or downloading for their movie collection. The video also mentions people not watching to continually rip all their movies from their discs to take them on the road. And the hotspot device targets mobile users and people who do watch movies on the go.
And I think it only plays UV movies. It said in their FAQs that they would build their own Ultraviolet player apps for PC's and Mac's.
It's an interesting idea. Not sure if I would every use it. Looking at how much money they raised, I don't think this particular company will catch on fast enough for this to come to be a reality.
Many of these start ups get gobbled up by the larger concerns. I don't think the raising of money is an issue for this venture. Someone will take the idea and run with it.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Towergrove said:
This new format is for those who choose to purchase instead of rent their movies and television. For the sell thru market who wants a small foot print and allows portability. Also allows brick and motar to get their feet wet with Ultraviolet and giving UV movies a presence in their real world stores.
The studios know that if they are to woo the purchasing folks they must have something that is collectible, like DVD or BD. I don't believe BD is the last physical format as some suggest.
While trying to get everyone online is nice there are many people who will not purchase online films they want that physical copy.
This fills that void.
Your take is probably accurate, though it'll be interesting to see how big the void really is. It seems most people, when wanting to minimize a footprint or maximize portability, simply skip tangible copies altogether. If they value the physical copy, they usually value having the disc (rather than a soft, volatile copy like USB).
Either way, I'd love to know why "the time is definitely now for the launch of filmed entertainment on the USB platform," as Strisower says.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Because they are bankrupt of any more viable ideas and they continue to just fling crap at the wall hoping something will stick? Ignoring market realities, consumer demands, 30 years of history, and common sense?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
Because they are bankrupt of any more viable ideas and they continue to just fling crap at the wall hoping something will stick? Ignoring market realities, consumer demands, 30 years of history, and common sense?
Your quote Kinda reminds me of Apple and its mapping app :D

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
MattAlbie60 said:
Which is great if you use Apple products but iTunes portable files don't work so well for the millions of others who use Android etc.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
Your quote Kinda reminds me of Apple and its mapping app :D
I know you were being tongue in cheek but there are parallels, I will give you that. The difference is that Apple actually has a long term plan here that is customer centric and isn't just putting stuff out there to see if it works. In the meantime you are welcome to choose other mapping applications, some free, some not, and Google is welcome to launch their own map app.
This USB thing tho is just a solution in search of a problem.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
I know you were being tongue in cheek but there are parallels, I will give you that. The difference is that Apple actually has a long term plan here that is customer centric and isn't just putting stuff out there to see if it works. In the meantime you are welcome to choose other mapping applications, some free, some not, and Google is welcome to launch their own map app.
This USB thing tho is just a solution in search of a problem.
Another solution is to change your phone to something other than Apple which I will be doing next month. It will be my first non apple phone ever.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I mean, I'm sure that's not your only reason for changing, but still.
That seems a bit like taking care of an ant hill with a machine gun, no?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
MattAlbie60 said:
I mean, I'm sure that's not your only reason for changing, but still.
That seems a bit like taking care of an ant hill with a machine gun, no?
As someone who draws maps for a living (GIS) yes it's part of the reason but only part. I want a larger screen too (see Galaxy Note 2, which I will be purchasing). Still love my iPad as I still say its the best device ever made!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/324086/new-physical-format-for-uv-muvichip-movies-anytime-anywhere-on-any-device#post_3982114

This.

I don't know anyone who prefers a streaming download with all it's issues to a DVD or bluray. Who's going to pay to physically own an inferior to bluray/DVD film?

It's dumb all over, smacks of more evidence that the studios don't understand how to use the internet to their advantage.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I prefer a streaming digital copy of a film to DVD or Blu-Ray. I refuse to buy a film that I cannot watch on any device I own, or any device I may buy in the future. I only buy physical media if it has UV rights. And as of now, I have 190 films in my UV account. I have gotten rid of the DVD's that I have converted.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Joshua Clinard /t/324086/new-physical-format-for-uv-muvichip-movies-anytime-anywhere-on-any-device#post_3996612
I prefer a streaming digital copy of a film to DVD or Blu-Ray. I refuse to buy a film that I cannot watch on any device I own, or any device I may buy in the future. I only buy physical media if it has UV rights. And as of now, I have 190 films in my UV account. I have gotten rid of the DVD's that I have converted.

I hope UV doesn't get canceled so that you lose 190 films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks