Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Eureka Blu-ray Qualtiy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,848 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 19 2012 - 10:58 PM

How are Ruggles of Red Gap, Double Indemnity and The Lost Weekend?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted July 20 2012 - 05:42 AM

Just watched my RUGGLES OF RED GAP two nights ago and wow! It is certainly one of the best looking BDs I've seen of a 1930's film, just gorgeous, Have a look at the caps over at DVD Beaver. I think you'll be amazed. Eureka has never disappointed me with their releases.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,882 posts

Posted July 20 2012 - 09:14 AM

How are Ruggles of Red Gap, Double Indemnity and The Lost Weekend? Crawdaddy

I've had the Double Indemnity BRD for weeks now but I haven't had time to watch it. I'll try to watch it via a projector over the weekend. I'll report back.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,882 posts

Posted July 21 2012 - 12:44 PM

I watched the Eureka BRD of Double Indemnity this evening. This Blu-ray disc is very good indeed but suffers from the same flickering of light in a few scenes that appeared in Universal's (Region 1) DVD. Eureka's disc is better than Universal's DVD but doesn't blow it into the weeds. The "extras" includes the familiar talking heads documentary with pundits like Eddie Muller and William Friedkin stating the obvious and a commentary from Nick Redman and Lem Dobbs which I haven't yet sampled. I'm glad I bought this BRD, but each person must decide for themselves if it's worth spending the money for a Zone B locked disc that is not massively better than Universal's excellent DVD.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,848 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 22 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thank you for your comments as I ordered all three releases.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,882 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 05:46 AM

Eureka's BRD of Ali Baba And The Forty Thieves is a brilliant disc with vivid colors and sharp focus. The sets are excellent and the music score by Edward Ward really impressed me. I'm not familiar with any other movie score by this man. I'll have to look him up in the IMDB. The narrative is great fun, never stands still and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Eureka's BRDs are all Zone B locked, but anyone who is multi-region on Blu-ray and who has young children or grandchildren should invest in this disc.