What's new

International Pandora's Box Eureka! Limited Edition blu-ray (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
One of the greatest films ever made is now finally being given a high-definition release in the UK. I have been waiting for this film for years. Last year, both Eureka's acclaimed Limited Edition releases of Vampyr and their 4K Das Cabinet Des Dr. Caligari sold out their 3000 units rapidly, so this one will go just as fast.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anyone compared this to the Criterion DVD?
RAH, it hasn't been released yet. The bonus material looks to be new compared to the Criterion DVD.

SPECIAL FEATURES​

• Limited Edition Box Set - 3000 Copies
  • Limited Edition Hardcase featuring artwork by Tony Stella
  • Limited Edition 60-Page Book featuring new writing on the film by critics Alexandra Heller Nicholas, Imogen Sara Smith, and Richard Combs; alongside archival stills and imagery
  • 1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray from a definitive 2K digital restoration
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Orchestral Score by Peer Raben
  • New audio commentary by critic Pamela Hutchinson
  • New visual appreciation by author and critic Kat Ellinger
  • New video essay by David Cairns
  • New video essay by Fiona Watson
Criterion DVD:

1691754978224.png

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Last year's Vampyr release looked identical to the 2017 Criterion blu-ray, except that there was further removal of damage to the image. Pandora's Box is being touted as "a new 2K restoration" - I would guess that it is derived from the same elements as previous releases, but with the removal of damage. The Criterion DVD is from 2006 - I would expect to see an improvement.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Last year's Vampyr release looked identical to the 2017 Criterion blu-ray, except that there was further removal of damage to the image. Pandora's Box is being touted as "a new 2K restoration" - I would guess that it is derived from the same elements as previous releases, but with the removal of damage. The Criterion DVD is from 2006 - I would expect to see an improvement.
I’ve reached out for further info.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Fantastic to finally have a high definition copy, which looks decent when projected! More detail and less damage than the Criterion DVD. For £26.99 and free shipping from Eureka's website, it's really good value for money. The booklet has a great essay by Imogen Sara Smith - I would grab a copy of this, while they're still available. Criterion will probably release their own copy, if they still have the rights, but they won't have all the supplements that the Eureka has.

IMG_E5650.jpeg IMG_5647.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fantastic to finally have a high definition copy, which looks decent when projected! More detail and less damage than the Criterion DVD. For £26.99 and free shipping from Eureka's website, it's really good value for money. The booklet has a great essay by Imogen Sara Smith - I would grab a copy of this, while they're still available. Criterion will probably release their own copy, if they still have the rights, but they won't have all the supplements that the Eureka has.

View attachment 201793 View attachment 201794
Mine arrived in the mail today which surprised me ahead of its official release date of October 30th. I'm looking forward to watching it in the near future.

1698192416070.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks