-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Battlestar Galactica Complete Series On Bluray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,091 posts

Posted July 03 2012 - 06:28 PM

What is everyone's thoughts on Battlestar Galactica on Bluray HD? How is the audio quality? How is the video quality? http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#2 of 22 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,336 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 12:50 AM

Hi David!

Been about two years since I watched my Blu-ray set.

I am guessing you are referring to the newer series reboot.

The one thing I remember about the Blu-ray set, particularly

Season One, is that the video is very grainy.  Doesn't look

very good for the fact that the grain looks abnormal.

Don't quite remember anything else regarding audio quality.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 22 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 01:30 AM

The series was shot digitally, but fake grain was added in post production to give it a gritty look.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#4 of 22 ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 01:53 AM

The series was shot digitally, but fake grain was added in post production to give it a gritty look.

Yes. There's even a disclaimer about this on the discs. As long as you're expecting the grain (which is supposed to be there), it looks faaaaantastic. :cool:

#5 of 22 rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted July 04 2012 - 03:10 AM

And the Audio quality is Awesome!  It is a lot fuller and more immersive than when it was on SyFy.  Plus it has several extended episodes, along with the originally aired versions of those as well.  Still love that series and the wife and I just recently started watching it over from the start again.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#6 of 22 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,628 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 05:46 AM

I'm a little uncertain how to respond. It is the very best way to experience the series and is technically strong with no obvious flaws. How you feel about the series' gritty visual aesthetic may be the single biggest question with regards to the technical merit of the presentation and your enjoyment. If the interest in the series is for the content and you are concerned about a minimal level of performance then the series is very watchable and is well worth your time. Personally I believe that the A/V is way above a minimal level of acceptance, but then I like the show's visual motif. If the interest is more along the lines of demo material and you prefer a glossy presentation then you might be disappointed. For my money it is one of the better SF shows in the history of televised entertainment and you would be well served by the Bd presentation. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#7 of 22 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 04:32 PM

This is a series I have no problem watching over and over again, despite my initial reservations about reimagining a classic series. It has its own look, but the delivery is fraking great!

#8 of 22 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,336 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 10:45 PM

I have said this a few times before elsewhere....

I came into Battlestar Galactica late.  I watched

the entire series two years ago when Universal
reissued the Blu-ray in a slimmed-down set.

The first two seasons are the most brilliant piece

of science fiction storytelling that I have ever seen.

The problem is, the final two seasons are totally

disappointing.

That being said, I look forward to rewatching this

show again over the next few years.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 22 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 05 2012 - 03:14 AM

I agree with you Ron, the series does lose itself in later years, however I do wonder if some times when shows are allowed to close instead of being cancelled whether it is more disappointing than imagining the potential ending for a series. Lost is another show that was better before its final season tried to wrap everything up. Either way, it's a fun journey.

#10 of 22 rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted July 05 2012 - 04:00 AM

I personally enjoyed the whole series and actually liked, yes liked the finale.  However, I can see where people might have had a different experience than my wife & I did.  I just wonder how much the writer's strike had on the final 2 seasons.  It was such a long wait between 2 & 3 and I'm sure they were rushing trying to get it back on ASAP after the strike was settled and to me it just felt like they lost some momentum.  It certainly wasn't quite the same show after the strike, but it's really hard to keep the kind of momentum going that they had during seasons 1 & 2 for 4 full seasons.  Still one of the best shows on at the time and one of my all time favorites, even though I had serious reservations of them rebooting one of my favorite shows.  It was nice to be proven wrong on that!

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#11 of 22 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,710 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 05 2012 - 04:08 AM

I just wonder how much the writer's strike had on the final 2 seasons.

The writer's strike only interrupted the fourth season but I don't think it had any real effect on the 10 episodes that came after the strike was settled.

#12 of 22 rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted July 05 2012 - 05:04 AM

I could have sworn that the strike was earlier.  Of course the way SyFy ran the schedule to stretch things out I guess it had me confused.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#13 of 22 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,135 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 05 2012 - 06:28 AM

I love the whole series, and love that it changed it up after the first two seasons. It became a more fascinating show, IMO.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 22 rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted July 05 2012 - 07:04 AM

+1

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#15 of 22 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,772 posts

Posted July 06 2012 - 12:50 AM

The first half of season 3 is as good as anything in the first two seasons. The whole occupation storyline is very strong, and the two-part Exodus may be the show's finest moment. Where the show started to lose me a little is with the disappearance - and eventual reappearance - of Starbuck, a thread that lasted until the finale, and which, for me, was not resolved satisfactorily. That said, there's a lot to like in seasons 3 and 4, and the show as a whole is the most mature science fiction ever made for TV.

#16 of 22 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 06 2012 - 11:33 AM

I have said it before, the boxing episode in the 3rd season was a jump the shark moment. I would rather watch Spock's Brain on an endless loop before sitting through that one again. Can you tell i hated that one? I think i would have bailed on the show before the end of season 3, if not for the fact i knew season 4 was it.

#17 of 22 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,710 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 06 2012 - 12:02 PM

I have said it before, the boxing episode in the 3rd season was a jump the shark moment. I would rather watch Spock's Brain on an endless loop before sitting through that one again. Can you tell i hated that one?

I've probably said it before too but while nothing happens to really advance the plot, I always thought that the extended cut of that episode was one of their best looks at the characters and their relationships with each other.

#18 of 22 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,049 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 06 2012 - 12:11 PM

+1

+1? Come on Ray give us more than that. I have Netflix and looked at the first few eps but it hasn't caught me yet.
facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 22 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 01:53 AM

Dave, thought this thread was about the original series. I haven't seen the newer one so I can't comment on it. However I can say that I have the same bookcase as you!

#20 of 22 MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted July 07 2012 - 03:59 AM

I have Netflix and looked at the first few eps but it hasn't caught me yet.

In my opinion, the miniseries that started the series proper isn't anything all that special. It's intriguing, and it has stuff in it that I like, but overall it's more "fine" than anything. The actual series itself starts pretty strong, though, and doesn't really ever let up. I'm also one of the people who like the last season and a half :) It's different, but it's still good.