What's new

Battlestar Galactica Complete Series On Bluray (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
What is everyone's thoughts on Battlestar Galactica on Bluray HD?
How is the audio quality?
How is the video quality?
4f2aa48a_IMG_0522.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi David!

Been about two years since I watched my Blu-ray set.

I am guessing you are referring to the newer series reboot.

The one thing I remember about the Blu-ray set, particularly
Season One, is that the video is very grainy. Doesn't look
very good for the fact that the grain looks abnormal.

Don't quite remember anything else regarding audio quality.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The series was shot digitally, but fake grain was added in post production to give it a gritty look.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Worth said:
The series was shot digitally, but fake grain was added in post production to give it a gritty look.
Yes. There's even a disclaimer about this on the discs. As long as you're expecting the grain (which is supposed to be there), it looks faaaaantastic. :cool:

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
And the Audio quality is Awesome! It is a lot fuller and more immersive than when it was on SyFy. Plus it has several extended episodes, along with the originally aired versions of those as well. Still love that series and the wife and I just recently started watching it over from the start again.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little uncertain how to respond. It is the very best way to experience the series and is technically strong with no obvious flaws. How you feel about the series' gritty visual aesthetic may be the single biggest question with regards to the technical merit of the presentation and your enjoyment.
If the interest in the series is for the content and you are concerned about a minimal level of performance then the series is very watchable and is well worth your time. Personally I believe that the A/V is way above a minimal level of acceptance, but then I like the show's visual motif.
If the interest is more along the lines of demo material and you prefer a glossy presentation then you might be disappointed.
For my money it is one of the better SF shows in the history of televised entertainment and you would be well served by the Bd presentation.
- Walter.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This is a series I have no problem watching over and over again, despite my initial reservations about reimagining a classic series. It has its own look, but the delivery is fraking great!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have said this a few times before elsewhere....

I came into Battlestar Galactica late. I watched
the entire series two years ago when Universal
reissued the Blu-ray in a slimmed-down set.

The first two seasons are the most brilliant piece
of science fiction storytelling that I have ever seen.
The problem is, the final two seasons are totally
disappointing.

That being said, I look forward to rewatching this
show again over the next few years.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree with you Ron, the series does lose itself in later years, however I do wonder if some times when shows are allowed to close instead of being cancelled whether it is more disappointing than imagining the potential ending for a series. Lost is another show that was better before its final season tried to wrap everything up. Either way, it's a fun journey.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
I personally enjoyed the whole series and actually liked, yes liked the finale. However, I can see where people might have had a different experience than my wife & I did. I just wonder how much the writer's strike had on the final 2 seasons. It was such a long wait between 2 & 3 and I'm sure they were rushing trying to get it back on ASAP after the strike was settled and to me it just felt like they lost some momentum. It certainly wasn't quite the same show after the strike, but it's really hard to keep the kind of momentum going that they had during seasons 1 & 2 for 4 full seasons. Still one of the best shows on at the time and one of my all time favorites, even though I had serious reservations of them rebooting one of my favorite shows. It was nice to be proven wrong on that!

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
I could have sworn that the strike was earlier. Of course the way SyFy ran the schedule to stretch things out I guess it had me confused.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The first half of season 3 is as good as anything in the first two seasons. The whole occupation storyline is very strong, and the two-part Exodus may be the show's finest moment. Where the show started to lose me a little is with the disappearance - and eventual reappearance - of Starbuck, a thread that lasted until the finale, and which, for me, was not resolved satisfactorily. That said, there's a lot to like in seasons 3 and 4, and the show as a whole is the most mature science fiction ever made for TV.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have said it before, the boxing episode in the 3rd season was a jump the shark moment. I would rather watch Spock's Brain on an endless loop before sitting through that one again.
Can you tell i hated that one?
I think i would have bailed on the show before the end of season 3, if not for the fact i knew season 4 was it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
RickER said:
I have said it before, the boxing episode in the 3rd season was a jump the shark moment. I would rather watch Spock's Brain on an endless loop before sitting through that one again.
Can you tell i hated that one?
I've probably said it before too but while nothing happens to really advance the plot, I always thought that the extended cut of that episode was one of their best looks at the characters and their relationships with each other.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
rayman1701 said:
+1?
Come on Ray give us more than that.
I have Netflix and looked at the first few eps but it hasn't caught me yet.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Dave, thought this thread was about the original series. I haven't seen the newer one so I can't comment on it. However I can say that I have the same bookcase as you!

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
TonyD said:
I have Netflix and looked at the first few eps but it hasn't caught me yet.
In my opinion, the miniseries that started the series proper isn't anything all that special. It's intriguing, and it has stuff in it that I like, but overall it's more "fine" than anything.
The actual series itself starts pretty strong, though, and doesn't really ever let up. I'm also one of the people who like the last season and a half :) It's different, but it's still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks